• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bubbles?

Sturg

A few years back I had several weddings to attend. After the ceremony the tradition used to be to throw rice. Now they hand out little bottles of bubbles. The light went on during a windy afternoon wedding and I thought this is a perfect wind indicator. I collected extra little bottles and use them to check the wind in the deer stand. They carry for a great distance and really show the vagaries of the wind currents. Sometimes they go right towards the ground and other times they uplift and go a ways before they drop. In cold weather I keep a bottle inside my coat. Works great. Anyone else tried bubbles?

I can see that working, but much more convenient, quiet, and easier to use is a handful of baby goose down feathers. They will carry for a long way as well until they get hung up (vs popping like a bubble would). I tape a small plastic bag full to my bow limb, cut a little slit in so I can draw one out at a time. Next best thing is the silky white "feathers" from a milkweed pod. Both beat a puff bottle any day.

Milk weed works really well however I did switch to the puff bottle for two reasons. One is the plastic bag always made a krinkly noise especially when cold and two is that I have noticed that the powder is light enough to where I could detect the thermals a little bit better.

I like milkwood myself, less messy. Dad-n-eye I usually stuff my milkwood in a small planstic film container, no noisy plastic bag.

One thing milkweed, goose down, and even bubbles have over the powder stuff is you can watch your scent travel through the air. I am sometimes amazed at what my scent does in different terrain. A swirl here or thermal there can really alter things. Even a small knob or ridge can very much alter what the wind is doing.

I hunt some of the fringe bluff areas in south eastern MN and the wind can be a real treat down in the bottoms. Keeping track of wind and learning how it acts as it sweeps thru the valleys is paramount to success.I use the puff bottles constantly but also use little pieces of cotton Q-Tips. The prices of cotton can just float for ever on the lightest of currents.Alot like milkweed I suppose. Watching them go can be a real eye openner on how the wind flows.

I like milkwood myself, less messy. Dad-n-eye I usually stuff my milkwood in a small planstic film container, no noisy plastic bag.

One thing milkweed, goose down, and even bubbles have over the powder stuff is you can watch your scent travel through the air. I am sometimes amazed at what my scent does in different terrain. A swirl here or thermal there can really alter things. Even a small knob or ridge can very much alter what the wind is doing.

I use milkweed also and it works great. I'm amazed how far they float. I have mine in a plastic film container with a small 1/4" hole in the center of the cap. The hole is big enough that I can pinch a little out without opening the cap. I've had the same container for over 5 years now. I've never refilled it and it still has a lot left in it.

Nels