• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

anybody need a chisel?

BehindtheHead

i will be making a batch of chisel's before the gtg on winnie. some of you have seen them at the lake washington gtg last year. there made out of 1" bar and a wide hardened blade. heavy duty, not the junk ones you see other places. i have parts for 4 and one is already spoken for. pm me if you want one.

this is one of the first chisel's i made. basically what i am making now. most of the paint is chipped off now.

the handle end with a rope to put around your wrist and a "ball" so it wont slip out of your hands.

1128112007.jpg

the buissness end. the bits i have been using are a little longer than this one.

1128112007a.jpg

the bit with the cover on.

1128112009.jpg

Just curious what you use for the business end steel? I built one a few year ago very similar. I used an old truck overload leaf spring. I cut a W in it with a cutting wheel on an angle grinder. Yours look good.

i use weld on wear edge. like for a skid loader bucket. could use bolt on edge but bolt on is harder than he__. its super hard to grind and get a good weld to penetrate.

the one in the picture is a truck spring. i stoped using that because it is easier to go to buy a wear edge. also truck springs are spring steel, spring steel chips easier when it is sharpened to a point. and i can only get one or two pieces out of a spring.

i have used chisels with a w cut into them but i like staight better. in late winter when i drill most of my spear holes i can cut the points off between the holes in 2 or 3 good strokes. i think the w's are better for re-opening angeling holes they chew and shatter where mine shear the ice right off.

i use weld on wear edge. like for a skid loader bucket. could use bolt on edge but bolt on is harder than he__. its super hard to grind and get a good weld to penetrate

You gotta heat the cutting edge up to around 250-295 degrees then weld it to the handle that will get you some good penatration on it.

I have made a few chisels, everything from a one thats looks like a Mille Lacs chisel to truck spring steel chisels and I think the ones that I like to do most are the ones wiht the gradeblade cutting edges they are hard to grind but once you gotta edge on it it lasts for a really long time.

BTW paint MJ's white so he cant find it after he sets it down laugh

Yap, we get them hot in the wood stove then weld it. The cutting edge is the way to go, you can grind them sharp, but when take the time to put a file for awhile. Thats when you need to make sure that all fingers and toes are out of the way when chopping. shocked The good thing is that its a clean cut. crywink

Isn't MJ color blind???