• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pros and Cons of a studded track

Mike Stark

Studs are mostly for traction control, it's a sickening feeling having the rear end of your sled trying to pass you on a corner when you are riding trails crazy

As for helping when you are ice fishing, it will be minimal unless you are on glare ice.

72 - 96 studs should be plenty for that sled.

Mike

Check your local trails, some (but not many at all) don't allow studs. We have Paul Bunyan by us, and you can't use them there. I have kept two of my sleds stud free in case I hit that trial, but I haven't yet smile

I have my indy 400 with studs, and it is nice on early ice, or if you ever get mired in slush, but now I try to avoid spinning the snow off early ice like I did when I first started, haha!

Studs are nice on some icy hills that lead to some small lakes, otherwsie just need to gain some mph when hitting them...

But mostly I don't think they are needed for my uses, but I have had my rear end slide in corners on the trail, wish I had studs then!

I thought the fun of not having studs was to be able to slide the rear end around the corners.

I've went with no studs on a 480cc, studs on a 900cc and now no studs on a 1000cc. Personally I like without studs. More fun imho. But I think either way you'll be fine. Studs will tear up a wood trailer bed unless you protect it somehow. Also, if you dont have reverse on the sled, pulling it around with studs will be kind of a pain.

If you do much on glare ice, you will have a heck of a time getting going without studs though.

Studs where permitted are a great safety tool from a control point of view especially on glare ice. Studs will also aid in keeping your hi-fax from getting hot and sticking when running on glare ice as they will throw up some ice chips. I would at least consider 48 (1 stud per bar on the track) but 96 works the best.

90%+ of my snowmobiling is for ice fishing. I pull the houses out when there's lots of bare ice and pull them off on crusted trails that have thawed & frozen and been packed by hundreds of sleds. I wouldn't be able to do either without studs. My fishing buddy used to try to "help" me with his sled without studs, and I finally told him it was easier get the house out when I didn't have to drag both the house and his snowmobile. Having to hit the brakes hard while towing an Otter sled w/gear is way more relaxing with studs!

Ask me how bad I wanted studs on this day. grin

DSCN3029.jpg

I have since learned how to navigate slushy lakes better and have a sled with a paddle track but I still worry a bit without studs. Not as much, but a bit.

I still own the sled in the picture but it doesn't make the big trips anymore. It would if it had studs.

Oh man, does that bring back memories! hahaha! Me and my bro, both rookies, in the dark, and really really cold out. Thoguht we were going to have heart attacks, and only about 100 yards from teh cabin, haha! I think you had more water than we had to deal with, but I feel your (past) pain! smile

Ask me how bad I wanted studs on this day. grin

DSCN3029.jpg

I have since learned how to navigate slushy lakes better and have a sled with a paddle track but I still worry a bit without studs. Not as much, but a bit.

I still own the sled in the picture but it doesn't make the big trips anymore. It would if it had studs.

Wanderer, remember your suppose to make a big circle before you stop to fish! whistlelaugh This is one of my biggest fears when out running & gunning by myself which I do a lot of. Thanks for bring back the nightmares. cry

when trying to take off on smooth cement, studs leave real nice grooves in it. but if you have some high spots it grinds it down quick and fast. garage has some nice marks from friends trying to pull out so it wouldnt get smokey. mad

As said the cons are trails closed or portions closed to metal studs.

You can which ones Here

It used to be you needed buy a sticker if you have studs but I believe that has been done away with.

I currently don't have studs so I'm not up on if there are allowed on public streets as in the case in Ely where I believe the trail goes through town.

If you have studs then for sure you'll need carbide wear rods.

Pros, No crust on glare ice, studs are nice.

Slush Tips: If your not sure of the slush conditions or have a good hunch your going to get into slush, don't pull a sled behind you till you've scouted the area out. All that slush is getting thrown behind the snowmachine and will pile up in front of the sled and it will plow. Also if you put the majority of the weight in the rear of the sled in tow, the front will have a better chance to float instead of plow. When you encounter slush keep on the throttle and turn out and away from the nearest shoreline till you get out of it. If there is a crust on top the slush its usually better to break trail then follow a track through slush. If there is no crust on top and it is deep and heavy then following a track is usually better.

If you get stuck we can assume its deep and no crust. In that case turning the sled around and going back the way you came is better. In worst case scenario your stuck and can't get out. Get something to lift the track and skis out of the slush like a log and clear the track of built up slush. Stomp a path the way you came in, if you can pack it with snow.

Let it freeze up some and ride back out. Then there is the options of long ropes, anchors, come-a-longs, or getting pulled.

Mine came with a 2" paddle track (used in the mountains before me) and it's worked great. The only place I don't get traction is on pure ice, but since I need snow to keep mine cool there aren't many times that this is an issue unless the lake is 100% powder and no hard pack.

Pros, No crust on glare ice, studs are nice.

Slush Tips: Also if you put the majority of the weight in the rear of the sled in tow, the front will have a better chance to float instead of plow.

Great suggestion Frank. The one above I could have used last year out on B/Side when I packed my heavy food and pop cooler at the front of my porty! I almost lost it but kept the hammer down! eek