• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I have a few buddies that are into grouse hunting and they've been trying to get me into it for awhile now. I have never been grouse hunting before and I don't think I've ever even shot a shotgun before. I'll likley be borrowing a gun for the first time or two but am thinking about what it would cost to get started in the sport.

My main question is what would be a good set up for a grouse gun for an inexperienced shooter? Not looking to break the bank here as my budget is rather limited.

The gun would be almost exclusively for grouse, maybe on the very odd occasion I might give pheasent a try but that would be only once every couple years at most.

If I were to buy a gun strictly for grouse I would eithe pick up a .410 or 28 gauge. Ammo is more committed than a 20 gauge however. The 410 I have now is a single shot and my great ain't used to shoot pheasants with it back in the day but is probably not recommended. The 870 would be my 20 gauge of choice

For a few years, Remington made the 870 in a Special Field model. I accidentally found one in a used gun rack as a small gun shop.

It is an awesome grouse gun.

It has an english style stock and a 21" vent rib barrel. It is 12ga magnum which means you download to lightweight loads or load up for late season pheasants.

You can find the 870 Special Field models if you look hard enough. I saw another one at a garage sale last summer for $320. I should have bought but convinced myself that one is enough.

my dad has an 870 wingmaster in 20ga, absolutely love it for grouse! i always load it with 6s early & 4s late since i dont have a dog & i wanna make sure they go down dead. very light, shoots & swings great! i only have one shotgun, an 870 express 12ga. if you only want to/can afford to buy one i would consider a 12. a 20s perfect for grouse but it's a little light for pheasants and i wouldnt take it duck hunting. i first started duck hunting with a 20 & remember wounding too many birds. i think you can still get an 870 express for around $250 if you wait for them to go on sale

Looks like the 870 has all the votes. I'll have to keep my eyes open for deals.

I was thinking 20 guage since the gun will be exclusively for grouse. I don't envision ever duck hunting or much pheasent hunting. If I did tag along on a duck or pheasent trip once in awhile I have enough friends that would lend me a 12 guage if needed.

I really do need to get out grouse hunting. I have a vizsla sitting at home just aching to get out to chase some birds.

A short barreled 20 gauge that is light but is balanced and swings well would be a great start. Whether it's an O/U, auto, pump, or SxS is up to you. Personally if you have the money I'd go with a nice O/U as generally they are lighter and better balanced than repeaters. You will rarely have the opportunity for more than 2 shots before reloading anyway. I would strongly discourage a .410. It is a gun for experts or for ground swatting. Hitting a flying grouse is hard enough without handicapping yourself with a .410.

Quote:
I would strongly discourage a .410. It is a gun for experts or for ground swatting. Hitting a flying grouse is hard enough without handicapping yourself with a .410.

Depends on your method of hunting. If you use a dog, and try to shoot grouse on the wing, a 20 or even a 12 guage is the way to go. If I want to make sure I get some grouse for the frying pan, I usually go alone and walk slowly and quietly to get close enough to ground swat the birds. I've killed way more grouse on the ground than in the air, because I normally hunt thick cover where there isn't any opportunity for a shot on the wing. But up close, a .410 does less damage.

I have an old Stevens .410 single that I've owned since the 1960's, and I've picked the heads off a lot of grouse over the years with that gun. I also have a Stevens 20 gauge double that I take if I'm going to be hunting more in the open.

I have never had a problem with a .410, in flight or on the ground. My Stevens side by side is THE most comfortable shooting gun I own.

That being said, I strongly encourage finding a gun that is comfortable. If I were to buy another shotty for timber chickens I would focus on comfort and weight as you will be carrying it, possibly for extended walks. Stevens, Mossberg, Rem's all will kill stuff as well as Bennelli, Browning, etc. Flyin lead is flyin lead when it comes to chickens.

Quote:
I have never had a problem with a .410, in flight or on the ground.

You must be one heck of a shot then. I stand by my statement. If you are shooting at grouse that are flying a 20 gauge is a far superior gun and will give you much better odds for success. Particularly if you are a beginning shooter or an average shot. You will have twice as much shot in the air, and a much more consistent pattern and shot string. From a ballistics standpoint the .410 is mediocre at best.

Remington 870 20ga is hard to beat - great price/quality. I bought a youth 20ga after selling my 20 to my little brother years ago. The wife wanted to deer hunt - but she wouldn't shoot anything! So after years of it sitting around I took the year off from bow hunting to try out grouse hunting - I took the youth 20 out with me cause it was lighter than my 12 and it has the 21" barrel. I can tell you I love that little gun swings fast and Knocks them dead in there tracks. I only made it out twice so far and saw 8 birds shot at 5 and have 4 in the freezer. Check the used gun racks or buy one brand new. If you are planning on or already have kids buy a youth now - you can use it now and hand it down and buy yourself a nice 20 over under:) Thats what I will be doing once the little ones want to tag along, or maybe sooner if the warden isn't looking! Good Luck and Get out there! Grouse hunting is great way to get some time in out in the woods and get somme miles on at the same time.Griz