• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lost GSP in central South Dakota

reddog

Someones hopefully looking for this dog.

From South Dakota Game Fish and Parks facebook site.

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/photo.php?fbid=10150386087308739&set=a.286254888738.148125.277814678738&type=1&theater

For those without facebook, it is a GSP with a orange collar and a tracking collar but no tags or chip.

315060_10150386087308739_277814678738_82

If the moderators would add this post to the South Dakota board also it would be appreciated.

I am not on Facebook but any more specific info as to location other than Central SD?

I will keep my eyes open around the Huron area this weekend as I am out.

Sure hope they find it. I also made a post in the SD section.

Dustin, This was all that they put on the Facebook site.

Dakota Game, Fish and Parks

This beautiful German shorthair was found in a field in central SD with a tracking collar and orange collar, but no tags. The hunter who found him looked for the owner for hours, drove to nearby farms and ended up at a local vet to check for a chip - no chip. The vet kept the dog for a few days, but called the finder to come pick him up. He's a great dog - any ideas on how to find his owner would be appreciated. Email [email protected]"

Later today:

South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks The finder did have him checked several times for a chip, and has called on the serial number and it's not registered. He contacted hunting dog clubs, vets, humane societies, the sheriff's office and left his number with the tracking collar company. No luck so far.

Im headed back west next Wed night..

I just saw this on FB as well.

Its too bad that a dog can get a way like that and not be recalled being it had an e collar on. Doesn't seem like the owner was putting as much into finding her as the finder was trying to locate the owner.

From SDGFP Facebook page

Update: No owner has been found as of Saturday morning. To answer a lot of questions, the finder checked for ear tattoos, Called the track collar company (the collar was never registered), drove for 2 hours to check with hunters, went to 7 nearby farms, left the dog for 3 days with a vet nearby where he was found, and thanks to all of you on FB, the photo has gone out to 185 other locations including hunting dog groups, rescue groups, humane societies and more. If someone does come forward to claim the dog, the finder will be asking details that will identify the dog. It has several things that will make it easy for the owner to mention. Thank you, everyone, for your interest in helping this dog get home.

53 minutes ago

Unfortunately, not the ending we wanted, but..

From SDGFP Facebook site:

The finder would like me to thank all of you for your help, offers and good wishes. He placed the dog today with someone who contacted us via Facebook. The GSP will have a great hunting home. We're sorry we couldn't find the original owner, but feel confident the finder checked out the new owner and the dog will have an excellent home.

37 minutes ago · LikeUnlike.

I used to live in SD, Sad to say this happened alot. People would fly in from all over to Pheasant hunt for the opener. After their hunt, they left items behind because they no longer suited their needs back home. Lots of hunters used to come from out east. You used to be able to go to the Humane Socitey in Sioux Falls after Hunting season started and find some nice hunting dogs (this was 16 years ago, but sure not much has changed.) It is sad that people can treat a dog in a disposable manner. Not saying that it is the case in this instance, but a possiblity.

Wonder if any one has went looking for the owner. this seems like it may be a nasty story with a bad ending for the hunter in the feild. I think this is acually a story about a lost hunter not a dog.

Interesting possibility. Break a leg or have a heart attack and no cell service. I suppose someone would file a missing person report, but maybe not (single retired guy with few family members.) Lets hope not. Lets hope it was just someone who lost their dog and isn't internet savvy. I'd love to have another GSP. Hopefully will continue to have a happy life.