• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Accessing Morning Spots During the Rut

deerminator

I typically hunt the big woods but got some great permission to hunt ag land interspersed with woods and grassland these past two years. I've exclusively hunted evenings but thought about some morning hunts too the next couple of weeks if I can swing it. The only issue is that I'll have to skirt the edges of crop fields (cut corn, noisy) to get wheree I need to go most of the way (1/4 mile in) to get to my blind near the bedding area and cover. So does anyone else have a similar situation during the rut? Do you just get in there as quick as possible? Or do you avoid the setup if at all possible in the morning? There are so many dips in the land and I can walk along fingers of woods in the dark that I'm thinking I'll only be visible from different parts of the fields here and there. Interested to hear what you guys do?

During the early rut, things can get kooky.

For my experiences @ this time of season on early morning stand hunts.

I've had bucks come close to me while I'm walking in to my stand.

I don't go quick or out of my way. I just take it easy and get going very early to let things settle back down.

While walking in, I've had bucks come across sloughs and main travel corridors grunting at me. It's dark out yet and makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck, but I just keep moving steady.

And to be honest, early rut means deer expect to hear some noise.

If you must walk through the feeding area to get to your stand, then be deliberate and just get there. I agree that when you start "sneaking" through the woods in the dark, you will unnerve the deer for sure.

Ideally I would find a different route to that spot even if it means walking through the woods. Hang some tape or reflective tacks and try to stay out of sight.

Thanks guys. Deer in the fields is kind of what I was worried about but as psepuncher noted, things get a little kooky and noise might not be out of the norm. Plus, I figure, anything's worth a shot once. If I spook a lot of deer and don't see any. Lesson learned and I won't hunting mornings anymore. I pretty much have to go through the cornfields on the south end of the property since the cover is bordered by fields all around from the road. There's a shorter way in on the other side of the property, BUT the neighboring farmer's dogs are always out and I tried parking and walking in one time and they barked constantly and ran into the field some for an hour an a half on one evening sit. Lesson learned there too. The farmer farms my neighbor's land that I hunt so I'm not looking to talk to him about his dogs. In fact, he told me, don't park on this side or that will happen!

I have the same problem. Maybe 9 out of 10 times I spook deer, but that 1 time I don't, it can be great. I kick deer out of the same ditch every time I enter in the AM. I'm hoping one of these times I can get out there without them being there. Obviously not spooking them off the spot as they seem to continually to be there. Its a lousy feeling though when you get out of bed early only to hear them running through the woods on your way out and then have them give the warning blow. And dang its dark out right now without a moon.

It don't really matter during the rut, being in your stand and having the wind blowing in the right direction is what's important.

You can either walk nonstop to your stand and get it over with you can take 10 steps stop and listen, take 10 more steps, ect.

There's too much going on during the rut and too many things that can happen for it to matter if you bump up some deer in the field while it's still dark out. I've bumped up deer got in my field edge stand and had does come right back after 5 minutes with the bucks following.