• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New processor

Scott K

OK, I am getting a little tired of putting new processors in my HP laptop. They last about 1 year, if that. Laptop is out of warranty now, so this one will be out of pocket. The question I have is, can you replace the processor with a bigger one, without reloading system info? Or will I then have to purchase all the windows info to reload it? Is there a good place to get a new processor, other then HP, since theirs only last a year? I checked Newegg, and they dont list any. Is there different brands, that I can use?

My laptop is a HP Pavillion, dv7 3065dx. The processor is an AMD Turion II Ultra Dual-Core Mobile M600, 2400 Mhz, 2 Cores, 2 Logic

The processor has to be the same socket, that's really the only requirement. It shouldn't have any impact on the way your OS runs. However I believe most retailers do not sell mobile processors anymore, as it's not a very good market. Looking around I could only find a few used ones, which likely means they were scrapped from dead laptops.

If you know what versions of CPUs are compatible with your motherboard and chipset you can buy them from any reseller. But things do need to match up. You could even call HP and they could tell you if you can upgrade to a more powerful processor or not.

Next time it goes. Just a get a new laptop. Specifically since it is out of warranty. By the time you buy the part, ship it, find someone who can install it, you are looking at probably a couple hundred bucks minimum. If you were to send it to HP , probably even more. Id just buy a new one.

Next time it goes. Just a get a new laptop. Specifically since it is out of warranty. By the time you buy the part, ship it, find someone who can install it, you are looking at probably a couple hundred bucks minimum. If you were to send it to HP , probably even more. Id just buy a new one.

I upgraded mine and it was very easy. Took about 15 min. Pop out the processor, put a little heat sink grease on and attach the heatsink and away you go. The only thing that I found that didn't work after the upgrade was some DRM protected movies. It basically thought they were now on a different computer and wouldn't work.

I upgraded mine and it was very easy. Took about 15 min. Pop out the processor, put a little heat sink grease on and attach the heatsink and away you go. The only thing that I found that didn't work after the upgrade was some DRM protected movies. It basically thought they were now on a different computer and wouldn't work.

Keep in mind I was saying this as a person who might not know much about computers. I have a few years under my belt and can take a laptop apart pretty quickly....

Thanks, got it! And I deleted all of my pm's.

Pier, I would, but this is not the time for me to blow another grand or more on a laptop. Going on vacation soon, and Christmas coming up. Not to mention, I just bought a new hard drive, and caddy for $200, along with a memory upgrade, for another $120 all within the last 2 months. If I can spend a couple hundred on this one, and make it last another year, I would be happy.

I usually get 3 years out of laptop, and this one is 3 now, but it has been 3 troubled years that I have had with it. If I could get a 2 Tb, 8+gb Ram, and 2.4+ghz processor, for under $750, I would be all over it. But, with a new motherboard/processor/hard drive/Ram in this one, it should make it another year, I hope.

I find it strange you are going through cpu's so fast. To me it is either a faulty motherboard or heat buildup.

Make sure all the fans are working properly and dust free. And don't place the laptop on any soft surface (pillow, bed, your lap).

I concur with Elybound, you probably have a fan failing. If you get a faster processor it is just going to create more heat and burn down even faster. Start with replacing all the fans. As far as HP or any other laptop company goes I have one suggestion. Stay away from the cheap end-user stuff you can by at any computer store. The mid to higher priced stuff at these same stores is built a lot better, and usually you can tell just by the materials the case is made from. Business laptops are built even better, but you usually won't find them at consumer stores. In this case try the internet. Toshiba, HP or anybody else builds there cheap stuff cheap. You get what you pay for.

Normally if you have a failing fan on a laptop you are going to know it. 1st you are going to have the thing shutting itself down whenever it gets too hot. You will also feel the heat on the laptop, bottom, top, keyboard will get pretty hot.

But yeah more than one failing CPU? Somethings not right. Power supply or short of some sort on the Mother board is where I would be looking at. They are very voltage sensitive.

So, the question is, why are the processors going bad?

Personally, if this was a yearly ritual I'd ditch that POS without spending another dime.

Computers are like pull tabs. Before you know it you've got too much into that box to quit playing now, even though you know you'll probably still end up short - hopefully just less short.

Any over-clocking?

I would guess it is a heat issue, but most likely caused by improper design with how things are kept cool than being a bum processor.

With my laptop and when it comes to running long times or heavy 3D editing I give it some extra breath-able cooling air. I bought one of those cheap, wedge style cooling pads with about 3 or 4 auxiliary fans built it into it. It runs on USB power and keeps my core temps down.

I also do run Tosh and Intel. grin

Well, here we go again, motherboard number 4. One a year. The fan is starting to buzz again, no other problems with it, yet. But they all start with a noisy fan, then shortly after, the motherboard goes out. Can you just get a fan? I know I should just buy a new laptop, but i have all of my info already on here.