• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Theres got to be an easier way

wannafish2

I went out this morning to hang a new stand. I also bought some climbing steps, the kind that strap onto the tree. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? There has got to be an easier way for a female hunter who hunts alone to get one of these hang on stands up. First, I did say I am female right? Don't the people who create this stuff know women hunt? and put up their own stands? We have these things on our chests.....duh. Climbing straight up a tree on these stupid steps is almost impossible. And you are supposed to put them up one section at a time, but to reach the top part where the strap goes you have to be on the section that is not secured....HUH? so I have to grab onto the tree to hold on...then you have to get the strap around the tree while you are holding onto the tree with one hand...I AM NOT AN OCTOPUS...After all this, then I have to somehow get the stand up the tree...into position, then maneuver the straps and tighten them...OMG!

and to think I thought these step sections would be great! can't use the screw in steps anymore, but those didn't work anyway.

One year I just took the ladder stand ladder part out and used that, but then you can't go up as far as you would like, but a leaning ladder is alot better.

And to think I have two of these things....any tips out there? keep in mind that I don't want to invest anymore money- I am one of the millions of out of work and wanted to be able to enjoy the whole season hunting. After this fiasco this morning I have half a mind to leave the stupid thing in the tree till it rots off. But I don't want to spend $100's on a "pulley"...besides, its not really the stand that is hard, its the being 3" from the tree straight up and having to somehow hold on while trying to maneuver the stand. Maybe I should try one of those Linesmans things? do those free up your hands? I like to put the steps on one tree and the stand on another in a cluster. Today's trees were 21" around and only 8" apart...perfect...or so I thought. I had more trouble trying to get the strap for the stand around the second tree...took me 2 hours to get this stand up.

I think my next job will be contortionist in the circus...

Lineman belt would definitely help. If you have time & it's not too far from where you can take a vehicle I like to hang portables with an extension ladder & then put the sticks up, but often that's not practical. It's not bad for me as I've got big hands, long arms, & am part monkey, but for those who aren't I can see where it's a challenge. Seems like almost whoever I go out to hang stands with I'm the one actually hanging the stand...

The EASIEST way may be to find a guy to help you. grin No, I'm not offering, sorry....

Honestly though, it gets easier with practice, and yes, a linemans belt is a HUGE help. It does indeed free up both hands.

Put tree steps going above where the stand will hang, that way you can use them to help hang onto the tree while putting up the stand. If your last step is at the platform level or below, it is going to be tough without branches to help support yourself.

A harness and a linemans belt is the way to go. Makes it 10x easier to hang the stand. Make sure when you are hanging the stand that you are at a height with your sticks that you are actually stepping down to get into your stand. It will also make it easier to hang your stand also...at least it does for me. If there are branches above you you could sling a rope over one and hoist the stand up to the height that way also...? Good Luck!

Quote:
A harness and a linemans belt is the way to go. Makes it 10x easier to hang the stand.

Absolutely! I've done it the hard way many times and not only is it difficult, more importantly it's not safe. Much easier when you have both hands free and are secured to the tree.

Climbers are great options as well!

yep, it gets easier with practice, and the lineman's belt is great. Frees up your hands.

When hanging those ladders, I put them together on the ground and then put them on the tree. You should be able to have your feet on the rungs of the sticks that are already strapped in, when going to strap the next set. Unless you're short, in which case that might be an issue.

not sure how you attach your stand to the tree but I use a seat belt. I was cursed with short arms and legs, found that a seat belt to attach the stand to the tree is great. One end is permanent to the stand and the other end has a loop. get up the tree hook the loop to the stand and pull tight, yes its that easy. When ready to take down push the button. The other thing is to practice. I hunt state land and dont have time to go out 2 hours early. Until I got a climber I could have a hang on up in about 15 minutes without scaring everything out of the woods. I think you should take a look at a linemans belt.

not sure how you attach your stand to the tree but I use a seat belt. I was cursed with short arms and legs, found that a seat belt to attach the stand to the tree is great. One end is permanent to the stand and the other end has a loop. get up the tree hook the loop to the stand and pull tight, yes its that easy. When ready to take down push the button. The other thing is to practice. I hunt state land and dont have time to go out 2 hours early. Until I got a climber I could have a hang on up in about 15 minutes without scaring everything out of the woods. I think you should take a look at a linemans belt.

wow. I'd be worried about the button being hit accidentally, and the stand (with me in it) crashing to the ground

A lineman's belt as everyone has said would be a big help. I used to hang stands your way and had the same problems. Now with a lineman's belt it helps free up my hands so I can use both of them to work.

Plus, I feel a lot safer when I am hanging a treestand with a lineman's belt. I know if I fall I won't go all the way to the bottom. Use your harness and a lineman's belt and it will be easier and safer.

I know you've spent allot of money already I would get the climbing sticks that connect in sections up to 20' and then tighten the straps as you climb. When sticks are completely strapped and solid use 30+ ft of good rope and tie to stand on the ground, climb up and use the top step which should be above your head and use that like a pully. Pull and rap the rope around one of the steps to rest your arms and continue this process until its at desirend height this way the rope is holding the stand at all times and not you.

strap stand to tree and slowly release rope tension till the stand settles tight to the tree and your ready to hunt, of course I'm leaving out allot of the details but you get the idea.

YES purchase a linesman belt it's your saving grace in the woods because you will fall some day if you continue to play in this hobby.

mr

This is the reason that I went with a climber. I have all the grace of a bull in a china shop, and trying to hang a stand like you described would only end me up in one place......the ER getting a cast put on something! Now if I was part monkey like Big Bucks.....different story.

As a 5'2" female who isn't all that strong, I completely feel your pain. It takes me a good couple of hours to get a stand hung and I really don't enjoy it.

I use climbing sticks and I usually put them together on the ground and then lean the whole thing against the tree. I tighten down the first section and then, using a lineman's belt.. crawl up and tighten down the rest of the sections.

Once the stick is secured I climb back down, attach a rope to the back of tree stand, climb back up with the rope, a heavy duty tree step, and a small cordless drill. I drill a hole in the tree about where I want the bottom of the stand and I screw the tree step in (yes, even putting a tree step in is difficult for me). You can then either use one of the legs of the climbing stick as a pulley or the tree step itself but with the lineman's belt on and both hands in play you can probably just pull it up. I then hang the stand on that tree step so that it's stabilized a bit.

I then bring the seat up to it's normal position and use the chain or strap to attach to the stand to the tree. I'm not 100% worried about getting it as tight as needed because I simply can't do it. I am more worried about making sure the stand will stay in the tree as I work on it. At this point, the stand is likely sitting on the tree step to give it more stability as I work with it.

Once the strap or chain is on, I use another ratchet strap to go around the tree and stand right below the seat. This is easier to work with because you're not trying to hold onto the weight of the stand at the same time and it's added safety. Once that is done, I usually also attach a black bungee cord to the front of my stand and run that (might need 2) down to the climbing stick and attach it there to basically pull down the front of the stand and make it dig into the tree more.

Make sure that you've put the stand at a height and position where you can freely swing a foot onto the stand. In other words, your need to be able to climb a bit above the stand and you have to have the foot that is going to stand on the stand first free to do so. You can't swing your right foot onto a stand. With sticks that have pegs on both sides all the way up , this is no problem but with ones that are offset, it can be an issue. I can't swing my right leg on if my leg leg is down lower than the right leg.

Climbers may seem easier but they have their own challenges and I only use them when I know I'm sitting all day cause it's a lot of work for me to get up and down with them. I've learned to not drink much water - which kind of sucks.

You will be amazed at how much easier things get with the lineman's belt and/or harness. Having your hands free really simplifies things. It's still going to be hard, but it will be safer.