• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice Fishing Morson Area - LOTW

Hello all - Our group is planning to make the change from the Nestor Falls area to Morson area for our March ice fishing trip. In the summer we spend quite a bit of time north and west of Morson fishing. However, in thinking about all the islands and current that runs through those channels does anyone have any input on how accessible (or risky)it is snowmobiling north and west of Morson?

My buddy has a place west of Morson a little ways but we mostly fish islands out on the main lake so the ice thickness isn't a problem.

However, we were fishing with a guide in September and I asked him about ice fishing around the islands and channels that we were in. He said that you better know where you are going and be careful as one spot will have 18" and the next will have 4" due to currents in different places.

So I would at least check with somebody who has been out where you are going before you go.

Thanks for the info D-n-B. That confirms our thoughts. A buddy and i talked it might be safer to get the RABC and come up from Baudette to fish out west....LOL! I guess we'll hit the big water a couple days for and plan on WFB for trout a couple days as well. Looking forward to the trip already!

Pelican landing is correct!

Friends and I fish the Morson area late January every year. To WFB is a 20 minute ride to the South end. You can start finding spots to try for Lakers right at the South end and just keep going North with lots of spots to try for miles. As everywhere on LOTW, avoid narrows but on WFB stay out of the fish house and keep moving. Don't sit on spots that aren't giving up bites.

To the NW and West of Morson there are lots of spots to hunker down in the fish house and fish Walleye. Deeper, 20' plus, points and humps are what we have our best luck on. Some people talk of moving shallower at dusk. I move if I'm not getting staedy action but have caught a lot of fish at dusk on the same spot that I caught them on in the morning.

My family has ice fished out of the Morson area for many years. In my opinion it's no more dangerous than any other part of the lake in the winter. Be wary of really narrow channels between islands, watch for pine bow trails (very experienced locals mark trails leading to and from great fishing spots), and when in doubt - more throttle! You don't have to travel far from Mylie's or Buena Vista to be in great/safe walleye fishing. Have fun!

Just returned from fishing West of Morson for the weekend. There was a consistant 12-15" of ice but a ton of small and large breakers. A person really had to pick your spots to cross them and some had water on top of the ice as well.

Fishing was great, we didn't get started fishing until like 1pm each day but the bite was great all the way until 5pm with a few fish coming through still when we left. Average size was best we have seen with many 19-23" fish, largest being 26.5". Lots of eaters too around the 14-16". Numbers were also great all weekend. Gold jigging spoons were the best with a decent bite with a jig/minnow under a bobber too. Caught fish everywhere from 14 to 24'.

Anyone out there been out on the Morson ice in the last couple of days? Hearing reports of open water opened up on the U.S. side still with big ridges and bad ice.

Pelican, have you been out lately? Any ice ridges?

Ducks and Bucks, were you fishing reefs, island or shoreline points? Help out a poor dumb blind deaf fisherman who needs a helping hand!

I'm heading up Tuesday.

Thanks

was out today in Taylor Bay fished in 11 to 16 FOW got there at 11:30 had fish on all day... 12 inches or more of ice .. had the truck out there .. took the 4 wheeler out to a pressure ridge that runs from the east side of village towards pork point ... used minnows and frozen shinners today .. goin to try and get out tomorrow and fish out by rabbit point ..

We actually tried a little of everything. We fished a shorline point first and caught fish mostly in the last few hours of the day. We then moved to a few reefs and an island and we caught fish consistant all day and evening. Wish I could narrow it down for you but they all seemed to be holding fish.

Pike pandemonium!

Just got back from 3 days, 4 nights at Morson.

12-18 inches of ice

very jagged ice, MANY pressure ridges, some you can cross, others are too much.

Snow cover on the ice ranges from 50 to 80 percent, the rest is bare ice Only about 3 inches of snow or less on land. Very tough snowmobiling, impossible if you need to do long portages, but the lake is doable if you can get around the pressure ridges.

Fished three refs and one mainland point for walleyes. Did 'ok' not great or not bad. Enough to feed the family one meal and bring a few home. Biggest was only 17 inches. My ice fishing reef spots just haven't been producing the last couple years like they did 4-5 years ago.

Did land 4 pike in less than an hour on two spots on one reef. In one case I had a double on! Had a big one on the jig stick and noticed the bobber down in the other whole. Assumed the jig pike had snagged it, but NO, it was two different pike at the same time! One about 8 pounds, the other 3-4. Fun.

Then I moved 50 yards and minutes after I set up SLAM, tagged into a huge fish that I really thought was a 12 pound walleye at first because it just stayed down, lake trout like. Then the fight started! She pulled out line on my cheap little ice reel so fast I thought the bearings would explode. But the line was new, 6 lb and in good shape. Then I finally eased her in.

The head was as wide as my 8-inch hole! Got the head and half the body up to above my knee... the tail was still the bottom of the ice hole. A good 40 incher at least! Had to be 18-20 pounds at least, maybe more... biggest northern for me in several years... I pulled the line and it cut on her mouth and I just let her go back down the hole backwards, didn't want to fuss with trying to get her all the way in and then back down...

very fun.. but she scared all the walleyes away! And I lost my lucky lure...

Good luck all, be safe.