• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2009 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO

klee

I found a good deal on this ATV that I probably won't find again. It comes with a lot of extras too. I've never owned an ATV so I want to see what everyone thinks about this. Pros and Cons. Overall it seems like a good ATV. I'm going out to look at it tomorrow, so I just want to see what I'm in for before I make a deal. What happens once it hits the 1000 or more mileage? I read it costs a lot to fix. I know the mileage on these things are different comparted to cars. So throw anything you know about this ATV at me. I'll be using it mostly for hunting and snowplowing.

Mileage on ATV really depends on how the machine was ridden and who rode it. If it was an old fart that just took it for slow rides 3000 miles is probably ok. But if it was rode hard in mud and water, hitting bumps or logs fast, etc less than a 1000 miles could really wear the machine out.

Overall Sportsmans are solid machines, the 500 HO is a bullet proof engine, and they start and run good in the cold winters, which not ever atv does. 500cc is enough power for pretty much everything. Make sure to run the machine in low range for towing, plowing, or over rough terrain or else you'll wear out the drive belt FAST. Polaris atv parts are expensive when compared to other atv manufacturers.

We have 3 2008 models in our family, mine is a 500HO, wife has a 500EFI and daughter has a 90.

I have about 2200 miles on mine and she is a champ so far.

I keep up on the maintenance with all the machines and so far I had to replace on mine 1 belt, just lately I replaced the water seal, that was due to excessive amount of mudding.

Have not replaced anything on the other 2.

I use my for just about everything, hunting, ice fishing, trail riding and mudding.

I have no issues with the HO when it comes to cold weather starting either.

Do you guys consider an atv with more than 1,000 miles on it still good? like say 3,000 miles? What's consider a bad mileage for an atv? How much power would I need if I'm just doing some snow plowing, hunting, ice fishing with it?

1000 miles? Most definitely but it's solely dependent on how the previous owner rode the machine and took care of it.

As far as power for plowing snow, you'll run out of traction long before you run out of power. Even a 350cc machine will move alot of snow.

Will the atv over heat if it's been operated all day? I don't plan on doing any rougb activities with it. It's a lot of money, i just eant to makr sure i invest my money well. I'm thinking either a polaris or a honda. I'm leaning more towards a honda.

IMHO the build quality of Honda is much better than Polaris and if you use both moderately hard I would say on average you will need fewer trips to the dealership with the Honda than the Polaris. But the Polaris is going to give you on average a better suspension and ride and better ergos.

Just my humble opinion.

It will only over heat if radiator is plugged for mud and dirt stuck in between the fins of the radiator. It is possible to overheat on a really hot high 90s or 100 degree day with running it in low range for a long time pulling or working the engine har. But other than those extreme situations they don't over heat.

An tav with 1000 miles is not high miles in my opinion, but 3000 is getting high. My Sportsmans have about 4500 miles which are getting to the point of needing a lot of work, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rods, a-arm bushings, belts are the first to go. Motors are still going strong.

So tonight we were suppose to go see the polaris, but decided at the last minute that it was out of our budget range and drive was too far. But, we did go to a atv dealer and checked one out, boy is that thing huge. It's bigger than the honda. I don't think I'll be hitting the trails that much, just need a small working machine around the yard and hunting. It sure looked nice though.

What should we check for if we're buying a used one? We are new to this stuff and know nothing about atv. What mileage should we expect to be putting money into this thing if it breaks down? We found a few decent ones in our budget range about $3,000 under with 200-3000 miles on, in 2000-2006 miles. If it was an '06 but it had 1,400 miles on it, would it still be considered a good buy if it was selling at $4,000-5,000?

What should we check for if we're buying a used one? We are new to this stuff and know nothing about atv. What mileage should we expect to be putting money into this thing if it breaks down? We found a few decent ones in our budget range about $3,000 under with 200-3000 miles on, in 2000-2006 miles. If it was an '06 but it had 1,400 miles on it, would it still be considered a good buy if it was selling at $4,000-5,000?

There is no way that someone can accurately determine a specific mileage where problems may begin on an ATV. Mileage is not the only determining factor in condition, I believe maintenance is a far better indicator. I'd personally be far more confident on mine with 10,000 miles than some I've worked on with 1500 miles. And, each model has its vulnerabilities and strong points and unless you know how it was ridden and maintained its condition will be different in every case.

That said, if I were looking at a used ATV, I would do a general look over for indications of abuse like bent racks and broken plastic and general upkeep. Look for leaks of any kind, check fluids for cleanliness and proper level, and do a compression check if possible, Check the controls for proper operation like brake handles, shift levers, light switches and throttle. Raise it up and check for looseness of bushings, ball joints, tie rods and wheel bearings on all wheels and then spin them to listen for noise. Look over the tires and also inspect axle shaft boots for tears or leaks. Run it, listen for strange noises and if/where possible ride it as much as you can to check clutch and /or transmission operation . If it passes all of these checks you should have a reasonable chance of not having to dump a lot of money into it anytime soon.

your doing the right thing by going and looking at both. Dont let someone on here tell you one is better than the other. Go ride them both and buy the one that fits you best and your are the most comfortable on.

There are pros and cons to both machines. I am biased and would tell you to get the Polaris. In my opinion the ride is much better, has a true 4wd system unlike the honda, and I dont like that the honda has drum brakes.

The honda is definately lighter than the polaris, but if your looking for utility the weight of the Polaris might work to your advantage.

As for what to look for mac covered it all. Good luck in your search.

Get dirty and look up under the fenders with a flashlight and see if there is any mud caked up in the hard to clean places. Look underneath at any skid plates to see any frame problems and any big time dents. Check the oil and air filter to see if they are at all clean. Ask to look at his other machines to see how they are treated.

Now we ran into a problem with choosing a automatic or a manual. Which one won't break as much? easier to fix? More reliable? There are so many kinds of automatics out there, I don't know what is good for me. We prefer an automatic, but for the past week, every single one we looked has been a manual. Are autos more expensive than manuals? Because every single one that we've looked at in our price range happens to be a manual.

i have a 2002 Polaris 500HQ manual. haven't had any problems with it. good luck.

what 2002 polaris 500HO came with a manual tranny? I cant think of any?

As far as auto/vs manual they are both reliable. Yes there are horror storys of smoked belts etc, but if you use the machine with in its limits you will be fine. I have never blown a belt on my Polaris and I use it to plow snow and ride pretty aggressive on trails and mud. Its been tested but I also know when to back off also and not over work it.

that's why i have problems even with a screwdriver grin. i looked in the manual and sure enough it is what you say. never paid too much attentions i guess. now i see they have "fully automatic" transmissions. anyway, i have had no problems with my polaris since i bought it. good luck.

We finally found the ATV. We drove south to check out the one we had seen online, but when we got there, it was all beat up, abused, scratched, ugly. nothing like the picture. But we did see this other one that had just came into the store for a week. Test drove it. 2008 Polaris sportsman 500 ho. Came with the plow. no scratchs. good miles, price was right. my husband couldn't stop thinking about it. after a week of discussion, I put down the deposit on it today. Going to pick it up saturday. kinda excited. It's not an '09, but has much lower miles on it. The miles were so low and the price too. I just feel that its so fishy, like something is wrong with it. But the sales guy said it checked out good. Like they are trying to get rid of it. It wouldn't last a week on the market at that price and mileage. Maybe it was meant to be ours. smile.