• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cross your fingers......took my first shot at a deer with my bow tonight!

wannafish2

Not wanting to admit any of this but, still cant live this down. Opener a couple years back i shot the biggest buck in a bachelor group at 20 yrds, real good 9ptr. Heard the crack, seen the deer duck and tense up like it was hit before it bolted.

Me and two others searched for 6 hours no blood, hair or arrow. Til i climbed back up and one of my buddies stood on the trail the deer were on. Then he saw the arrow stuck in a sapling smaller than your wrist just above eye level. It was the only tree in the path of the shot. The arrow was not visible from the stand. Spent more time looking down than up, who would have thought that.

Moral of the story is to relive the shot with more than yourself if possible and never think you can shoot around a branch or tree when clearing lanes, murphies law will come in play. They remind me everytime when a trailing job is called for. Thats what friends are for.

Quote:
though you would be able to clearly see if the arrow was still sticking in the deer while it ran off.

Although it seems like you would, I can verify first hand that it's entirely possible to miss this. Especially so without the aid of lighted nocks during lowlight periods and/or in thick cover.

Do you know of anyone with a metal detector,my buddy is plagued with missing deer. So much so I started carrying the metal detector in the truck because everytime it was i don't know or I think I got it. The detector has saved many hours tromping thru the woods and messing it up.

The bad news - it sucks and it likely will happen again if you keep hunting. The good news - you'll learn from it and from everything you described I'd say there's a very high likelihood the deer survived. You've done darn near everything you can short of a metal detector or a rake and those may not even help you. All you can do is do the best you can on your tracking job and it sounds like you've done that and more.

I'm starting to convince myself that lighted nocks are going to be on my xmas list as they would certainly add to the ability to get a read off where you hit a deer and finding arrows.

I should've waited longer for him to clear. Thats the bottom line. I should have waited or passed on the shot being as he was partly out of my line of sight.

Chances are you wont ever find that arrow. If it hit a branch, its hard to tell where that arrow ended up as they can deflect and do some crazy things. Use every hunt as a new learning experience, you learned alot from this hunt and you'll continue to learn....its what makes it so much fun! Good luck in the future.

On a a side note. No matter which expandable you choose to use, 44 pounds is awfully low poundage for an expandable broadhead. A cut on contact broadhead may be a better choice for you with the lower poundage. Just some food for thought, good luck the rest of the season.

So I went out this afternoon again and sat in the same stand. My 80 year old dad came up from the cities to see if I wanted him to help me look for the arrow and/or deer. I decided to hunt the same stand again, just in case I saw the deer again, even agt a distance to at least know if he was still on his feet. I didn't see anything and decided to get out of the stand at 6....guess what...upon my exit of the field (theres a like 8 ft little hill), walked up on a nice spike...he saw me first tho...so no shot. I then walked over to the other hay field about 200 yards North....4ptr in the field...not the same one but still, thats 2 more bucks on the property, on the way back I peeked over that same hill again and there was a nice big deer in the field...not too far from the trail my stand is on....so, doesn't seem like things are too spooky, and seems my chances are still good. Maybe I'll see that guy again...if not, dad and I can dig around for my arrow anytime before the snow flies...

Thanks all FMers for your advice and support...I will keep you updated on my season.

Thanks again! You are the BEST!

PS. I have decided to go with a fixed broadhead for the rest of the season. Had some Muzzy 4blades that I practiced with, adjusted for them flying high...is that usually the difference from field tips? And is a 4blade ok with my low poundage? Should I go with a 2 blade? Keep in mind, money's tight...will the Muzzy be ok for now?

muzzy's are good broadheads. my 3 blades shoot just a tad higher than field points, but not too bad at all.

I'd avoid the 2 blades, I feel like they are too easily covered by fat and skin and can leave a poor blood trail

I would say the odds are best that you didn't hit the deer at all, hence of course it will live. Almost everybody misses or makes a bad shot decision once in a while. You can't shoot them by never taking a shot. If you take a shot sometimes the results won't be what you want them to be. Just try to take the best shots & to learn when you don't have one.

I am believing you had a clean miss. Them arrows are hard to find in a well kept lawn. Shot a doe with a clean pass through and if I hadn't had the NockTurnal and it wasn't dark, pretty sure I wouldn't have found the arrow. Get a trail camera out and see if he shows up on it.

Oh, and go get another one.

You did all you could and I was glad to see that this didnt turn into a another rage broadhead dispute. Your muzzys are better suited for what poundage your shooting.

Another thing is that make sure your broadheads are fitted with razor sharp blades and not the ones youve been practicing with. Practice from a stand, deck or at least some height so you get used to stand hunting. Anything to build your confidence at this point and just to keep the panic level at its lowest the next time your close encounters happen. Good luck!

I'm not sure a Rage broadhead or any expandable is the best set up with a 44lb bow whether you hit the deer or not(not sure if you are shooting the 2 or 3 blade). I shoot expandables but not Rage. I think if you are shooting under 50 lbs you may be better off with a fixed cut on contact broadhead and get better penetration. Just my opinion and something for you to review. I'm sure you will nail the next one that comes by and I am looking forward to your next story.