• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1st Bow for 7 year old, need opinions

pooly_31

Well i enrolled my son in archery lessons over the summer and he really enjoyed it so for his birthday next week he'll be getting his first bow. I need some opinions other than from the guy at the archery shop. Based on my somewhat limited research i've seen the Diamond Nuclear Ice recommended pretty often. It has a range of 10-30 lbs and a draw length from i think 15"-25"? He'd have no problem with the bow now but my only concern with that is that it doesn't have the ability to hit the 35 lb minimum for hunting. Should that be a concern?(he won't be hunting deer until he's 12 anyway, just practicing and having fun now) I'm on the fence about it. I think if i went up to the bows that would reach the 35lb threshold it may not go low enough for him to shoot it now.

Anyway, thats a long story but its where i'm at. Any advice for me? I don't want to end up with a mostly toy bow that won't stick in a target at 10 yards. Thanks!

Pooly,

We have close to the same thing going. I have an 8 y.o turning 9 and he really enjoys shooting. I was looking at the Mission bow because he can hunt with it when he is old enough. Very adjustable without having to buy cams in the future. They want $300 plus for it but I won't have to but another one once he gets to hunting age. I think I am going to bite the bullet and do it. Check it out it is a really nice set up.

That mission bow looks pretty sweet. Is the "craze" the one you were looking at? I'm fairly dumb when it comes to these new fangled bows. In the description it shows a draw length and a min and max weight. That just shows if you set it at any of those lengths those are the available weights? its not like you have to order a specific length correct?

Started my son off at about that same age with a Mathews Genesis bow. It is what most youth instructors or archery in the schools programs are using. He is 11 now and still shoots it. When he is old enough to hunt I will upgrade but for now it works great and I recommend it.

anyone have any first hand experience with the Mission bow? I have 4 children so i imagine i will be buying plenty of bows and i'd like to avoid having to buy them each two, or having to upgrade when they can actually hunt. I can't believe the Mission goes from 15-70 lbs or whatever, that's way more than i've seen anywhere else.

The mission bows are just priced down versions of Mathews bows and are great bows for the pricerange with a high degree of adjustability built into them to enable you to grow the bow as your child grows. It is an investment but then so is a first shotgun or rifle. I have heard good things about the Diamond bows for kids as well. Like someone said a Mathews genesis is an affordable starter bow that we use in the NASP programs and is a great starter bow but you would be looking to upgrade at some point to a faster shooting bow that has higher draw weights. Good luck in your search!

Tunrevir~

its not one of your choices but I think u should check out a Forge Equalizer II. 17-27" DL, 15-50# DW. Forge isnt a big name, so maybe you've never heard of them. Dealers are fewer and farther between than bigger names, if u would ever need a dealer.

I have a forge, so does my brother and a few of my friends. They are very adjustable and affordable and plain good shooters. There used to be a dealer in Bemidji, not sure if hes still there. Otherwise your a quite a ways from a dealer as far as I know.

I also bought a Mission Craze for my daughter. My oldest is 11 and it is technically her bow, but my 8yr old daughter has finally grown into it. It is fully adjustable without a bow press or special tools. If you have a standard set of allen wrenches you can do it.

Although it costs more than a few of the others out there, it is also more adjustable and most likely the last bow that child will ever need until they can buy their own.

Most youth bows are kids bows trying to do more. The Mission bows are adult bows in kids sizes. They are higher quality in my opinion. I will be the first to say that I AM NOT a matthews guy, but this was our favorite bow when we were shopping.

I will say that Hoyt, Diamond and Bear also have great youth bows and were high up on the list. I chose the Craze for its versatility, quality and, should the kids just decide they don't like shooting anymore, I can shoot it. wink

I just bought my son his second and last bow... The Mission Craze. If it was available 4 years ago, it would have been his first and last. Fully adjustable from youth to adult... They are nice! All set up with upgraded sights, rest, quiver, wrist sling, silencer, arrows I was in it for between $400 and 500... but I am done... the next bow is his decision, this will carry him the rest of the way.

Good Luck!

Ken