• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking to pick up archery, but clueless!

Kim1212

Have fun in this really fun adventure! I started bow hunting in 1986 and love every minute of it! I was lucky to have a good mentor as he was able to show me the ropes and how to be a good bowhunter. You can also watch alot of "How TO" archery video's which you can watch over and over as sometimes it takes repeated lessons to get what most instructors are trying to teach. I also watch alot of Drury Brothers video's as they are real good for teaching and very entertaining too! Also subscribe to some archery magazines as they are packed with tips you can learn!

Good Luck!

wink

Nothing but fantastic information here. Not much I can add to it. The number one thing about bows is that they are custom fit to you. You have to be comfortable and confident in your bow and it will do the rest. Practice makes perfect.

I have two daughters, ages 8 and 11. BOth of the shoot bows with me and love it. Its definitely a family activity. My 11yr old just got a Mission Craze. It is fully adjustable in draw length and weights from 19-30" and 15-70lbs. Its the last bow I will ever buy for her. wink Maybe. It fits my 8r old at the low end and my 11yr old is at the 30lb range already so she is strong enough to hunt with it. 30lbs is not that much and you will be able to hunt after some practice. The bow with all the accessories and arrows was under $500.

Welcome to archery. We're glad to have you and good luck!!

Thanks guys. A lot of good information on here and encouragement. I'm super excited. I probably won't buy my first bow until next year because i just got a new gun this month. So while im saving up for one, i'll read more and learn more on the subject.

What do you guys recommend for a lady shooter?

I don't want to buy a new bow every year, i want one that will grow with me as i grow in skills and learning. I've read that some are adjustable with the pull.

If you are done growing, which I am assuming both of you are, you can find a bow that fits your drawlength, or get one that is adjustable to your drawlength. Almost all bows can be adjustable for weight. I would be looking for one that has about 80% let off and adjust the bow accordingly. Personally, I would start in the middle of the bows pound rating and then work your way forward or backward. Once you buy one, practice, practice, practice.

Don't be afraid of a used bow either. These can be had at a fraction of the cost. Most bows are not abused and you can get a good late model bow that fits you, often already set up for a lot less. I would also second the choice of the mission or bear bows. I was set to buy one until I shot a switchback XT, then I new I had found the right bow. Before that I used a bow that was given to me, and an old Hoyt that I bought in college at a pawn shop. You can always upgrade later when you are hooked. Finding a bow that fits you right is probably the most important. Some bows are more forgiving on things like form, than others. As a beginner, I would look for a bow that is more forgiving than the fastest sleekest bows out there. A good bow shop will point you in the right direction.

Going off of what trigger has stated a forgiving bow is one which has a longer brace height, brace length/height is the distance from the handle to the string on the bow. A forgiving bow is normally a bow with a 7 inch brace height or longer,bow manufacturers have found by shortening the brace height it makes the bow faster but it also makes the bow less forgiving on your shooting from.

I don't mean to detract from the main conversations, I just didn't think my question warranted a new thread.

A lot of you have mentioned joining an archery club. Does anybody know of a good one in the southwest MN area?

And if my question has been answered elsewhere, sorry. Also, if this deserves a new thread, please delete this post. I just joined yesterday and I don't want to tick you guys off. I'm still trying to learn the ropes of this site. laugh

I don't mean to detract from the main conversations, I just didn't think my question warranted a new thread.

A lot of you have mentioned joining an archery club. Does anybody know of a good one in the southwest MN area?

And if my question has been answered elsewhere, sorry. Also, if this deserves a new thread, please delete this post. I just joined yesterday and I don't want to tick you guys off. I'm still trying to learn the ropes of this site. laugh

Welcome to Hso, I personally don't know your area however their are many here that do so you question will be answered. If this thread don't work try starting a new one asking for a archery club in the sw area.

Thanks dude. I haven't had enough time to browse the entire site yet, so it's possible my question has been answered.

Off-topic: the reason I haven't had time to browse the entire site yet is because there is just SO MUCH interesting stuff here. I like how many different forums there are (some sites don't break things down enough), I like how friendly the people are, and I like how active the site is. A lot of these types of sites don't have many posts per day.

Anyways, /off-topic.

2k1stang, welcome to HSO! Ask any question and you'll get answered from somebody and most time alot of answers to compare! Look in the southwest forum section about archery clubs as most fisher people here are avid hunters like me! Good Luck! grin

If I only want to target shoot to start with, what kind arrows, and how many would you guys and gals recommend? Will the archery shop have the materials to set up the targets or would I be better off getting hay from the local garden nursery or something? How hard is it on the fingers to shoot, would I be best starting off with a glove or something else?? Thanks again everyone!!

Definitely go with a release. It will help you be more consistant. Finger shooting is used by a lot of people, but if I was starting out someone new, I would definitely start them with a release. Part of people's enjoyment with anything new is being able to enjoy some degree of success on it. The release helps eliminate some of the human error. Also, if you are looking for a type of arrow-i.e. aluminum or carbon, I would recommend carbon for sure. Carbon is not much more than a quality aluminum, is durable, and typically is lighter allowing for a flatter shooting bow. This also allows you to be slightly off on your range estimation, and still hit your target. grin

Not to disagree with SNS, but I would say that 6 quality arrows would be plenty. I mean sure, if you can get 12 right away than spend away. But I have only ever bought 6, 3 for practice, 3 for hunting.

I would also definitely recommend shooting with a trigger release, and using carbon arrows. The proshop should be able to get you the right arrows for your bow. You might also want to take their suggestion on which size of field tip to use. I would bet it should be about 100 grains.

Some very good information here. As a female hunter who has been bow hunting for almost 20 years, I'd have this to say.

1)Start with a pro shop and make sure you are comfortable with the sales person. Let's face it, there are some sales people who are looking to up sell the heck out of you and with you not having much experience you are at the disadvantage. If you can, take a friend with who has archery experience to help but no matter what, make sure you are confident that the person you are working with is looking out for your best interests. It might be a good idea to go to a couple of shops, get some input, and then come back here and ask folks what they think.

2)Once you get your equipment, practice, practice, practice. An archery club would be a great place to learn good fundamentals and develop good practice habits. Also remember to practice different shot angles and positions such as sitting, crouching, etc. It's amazing how many times I've had to make a shot from a position that isn't your typical standing position. We had a stand setup in our yard to practice from and I think that made a big difference for me as far as duplicating the real thing.

3)Don't get caught up in the weight that you are shooting. Be comfortable with the weight and remember you have to be able to do it on short notice and possibly with a lot of clothes on and after sitting still in cold weather for hours. People laugh when I tell them I shoot 42 lbs but with today's technology, I don't need anymore than that (and heck, my bow is 10 years old!). Now, I'm not going to attempt a shot at more than 20 yards because my hunting conditions are so thick that there simply aren't shots longer than that so it works for me. Just remember to pick a weight you are comfortable with and matches the length of shot you want to be comfortable taking... and then remember that 42 lbs still gets it done :-)

4)When buying your equipment and/or clothing, don't go cheap. I'm not saying you have to buy high end stuff but if I had a dollar for every hunting related item that I've bought "cheap" rather than upgrading a bit, and then later throwing out because it's useless, I'd have a lot of $'s :-). Use this site and others for opinions. You'll quickly figure out what's worth spending money on and what's not.

5)Wear a safety harness!!!! This should have been point #1. Get a vest type that you are comfortable with and wear it religiously.

Good Luck!