• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Although I started skiing when I was 4 years old, from what I have heard from friends with young kids, snowboarding seems to be easier for them to pick up. I have no idea why, but that seems to be the consensus from all of them. Depending how big your kid is, Burton makes boards from 80 up to 145 for kids. Keep us posted on what you decide and on the progress!

I started skiing about the same age as Nate, I got into boarding six years ago with my daughter. She picked up snowboarding pretty quickly. Now is a good time to look at gear swamps at some of the ski resorts. Wild Mountain has one each year in the fall. I would check the websites of some other resorts that are closer to you. Some good deals on used gear. Invest in a helmet for her. The kids can get going pretty fast and the ice can be pretty hard. Good Luck.

Oh you young kids! I started snowboarding 22-23 years ago in the late '80's. I guess that makes me old-school. Or at least old.

I'd say that learning how to snowboard is easier, mainly because there are fewer elements to focus on. With skiing you've got two skis (with two ski tips that can cross), four edges and two poles. With snowboarding you've only got two edges and a board to deal with. Learning how to snowboard mainly comes down to edge control and balance. And it's a very quick learning curve once you start to learn those two elements. I'd agree with Redlantern, invest in a helmet. They are a safe bet for all ages.

I started with my daughter (7 last year) last winter with a 3 lesson pack at Buckhill.

This year she joined the Developmental Team (D-team) they break the age levels down by 6-8, 9-10 11-12, 13+. Show and teach them the basics and help learn the skills for both recreation skiing and to possibly join a traveling team.

I've been snowboarding since 1996. I'd say skiing is easier to learn, more of a natural position to walking or standing. HOWEVER I'd say once your an expert sking is harder because you have 4 edges and two planks to control vs 2 edges and one plank. Skis can split apart and a snowboard can't.

My seven year old daughter easily picked up skiing in one day last year- of course I'm a former ski instructor, but she had no problem at all.

I've done both boarding and skiing and I much prefer skiing for several reasons- the falls are much easier to take (I've seen people break BOTH wrists while boarding) and you can tackle much tougher terrain (steeps, moguls, etc.) more easily on skis than on a board, and of course you can SMOKE a boarder in any downhill race.

And surprisingly, after years of huge growth in the # of boarders, skiing is coming back strong as the "cool" sport for kids to take up.

Well, we got out last night (before the snow melts:() and both the 7 and 11 year old we're off and running! This is the first time for the 7 year old and after 2 hours she was starting to link turns so I'm hopeful our family is off to great adventures in the outdoor skiing world!!

Sounds like you chose the skiing route chasineyes. I think years from now you and your kids will be happy with your choice and any of them can always take up boarding if they're interested to see what it's like.

To me, skiing always will rule! Another thing I like about it is I think you get a much better workout when you're legs aren't strapped to one board.

I'm a late reader of this thread but I'll chime in. Play it again can provide you with both cheep boards and ski equipment. I started skiing again 2 years ago after a 20 year layoff. The little peeps are going to learn and take to whatever you put them on as they are resiliant and quick learners. I put my 6,8 and 10 yo on skis 2 years ago to start. They pretty much had things down and were off the bunny hill within 2 times skiing. Funny part was the little guy I thought would be a terror was extra cautious and the 2 girls picked it up and were off and running in no time. If your kids have any sakteboard experience under them a board might be the way to go but I have no board experience under my belt so I chose to put my kids on skis(something,) I knew how to teach. It is a great family experience especially when they are younger, enjoy the time with them!

Tunrevir~

I have been skiing since I was 3 years old, and lived in Bozeman Montana shredding 70+ days a year! I would argue that skiing is easier to learn initially, because it is more natural feeling, in terms of balance, however I believe that snowboarding is faster to excell at, once you get the learning curve figured out. The snowboarding tends to be very difficult the first few times out, and Im sure any snowboarder would agree that your front edge can be very frustrating, and painful when learning.(face-plants) If you have any experience wakeboarding, skateboarding, or longobarding, then picking up snowboarding will be a peice of cake.

One last note... Skiing is nothing like water skiing

I have done both for many years, and they are both very different, but I would say that you can't really go wrong either way.

- best of luck-

Skis can split apart and a snowboard can't.

The above should read: and a snowboard shouldn't, but it does happen as my 13 year old son found out this last winter (cased a 30 footer early in the season). I also agree with the use of a helmet, I know for a fact it saved my son quite a few headaches as the last digger of the season cracked his helmet.

I started skiing when I was 7 years old. Im from Korea, and when they taught me they always told me that skiing is easier than board. I guess it is right. I started to ride a board few years ago. Basically, the methods are almost same as skiing. So it does not matter how the kids decide. Either one is fine.

Do whatever makes your kids happy.

Please make sure they wear a helmet. I take way too many kids off the hill in a sled who would have other wise been able to ski away if they'd had a lid on. Some of them are never the same, even after advanced medical care.

Funny how times have changed. When I was a kid, no one had a helmet when skiing. Now, I'd guess that 80 percent of people skiing and boarding wear them. I've gotten into racing bicycles and inline skates where helmets are not optional. Funny how you get used to them and feel kind of naked without them.