• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good type of Mono line?

What do you guys think is a good panfishing line for in the summer? I am trying to decide what kind to get, but not sure what brand is the best for slip-bobbers. I already know what test im going to get but i just need a suggestion on a brand.

Was there any previous post on this?

------------------
"I got a bite..."

Fluorocarbons like Seaguar and Berkley Vanish are excellent choices, no doubt. But for straight monofilament, DAMYL Tectan Premium remains the standard-- a supremely strong line, which is also amazingly small in diameter. It's also an olive green colored line, which blends well with the surroundings of most lakes.

-a friend called Toad

Does anybody know the difference between sensation and sensi-thin? I like sensi-thin but it was discontinued. I still have a bunch of spools of it at home and was wondering was sensation about the same.

Thanks for the Replies.
It doesn't matter between fluorocarbon or monofilament for line. I just want something that wont get tangle very bad and can cast real good.
Im kinda leaning toward Berkley Sensation or Vanish in 4lb test.

------------------
"I got a bite..."

Toad, fill us in!

As far as castability, vanish is great and doesn't tangle as easy as mono. However, after you spool it up, give it a day before you use it. It takes a little time to get used to your spool. Most people have trouble with it jumping off the spool if they use it immediately.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Does the Vanish have the low memory? Was thinking of respooling my reel's, but seems after they sit on the spool for a couple of weeks, they get that nasty habbit of those curls coming off the spool.

Hey Scott,

Tectan is a European (German or Swiss, I believe) made mono that, far as I know, can only be obtained through Cabela's. All I can say is, you gotta try this stuff. Before I began using it many years ago, I thought XL was strong. Tectan's the best line, relative to strength-to-diameter ratio, you'll ever fish. The 5.5 and 4.6 pound test sizes are wonderful heavy panfish and finesse walleye lines, too.

-a friend called Toad

I use Vanish for casting on Superior and for the bulk of my vertical jigging, both panfish and walleyes, here in the southern part of the state. The other day I tried some bobber fishing for pannies from shore and had trouble with the line sinking between the rod and bobber and getting tangled with underwater garbage. Is this a characteristic of all fluoros or is it unique to Vanish? This is the only complaint that I can raise about it and if this is all that I will find to complain about, I'll just rig up another rod with xl for this fishing. Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait

Yes fluorocarbon line does sink, I hae used them all and I can say they all do sink. The line I prefer to use when panfishing is usually just 6lb trielne xl, i like a little more strength in case i hook into a bass or northern. I have also used 4lb sensi-thin and it works okay but it seems to have a lot of memory. overall i think you couldn't go wrong with the 6lb trilene xl. ><>
deadeye