• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Golden Retrievers and Springers- looking for info.

BigRock

In the time since my family lost two dogs this summer we have decided to look at getting another pup. One suggestion my wife gave was to look at is getting a golden. She likes a breed of dogs that is/are sharp as a tack in intelligence, and she had heard goldens could fit the bill as far as that goes. I could research the breed on the rest of the internet to get more info. about them, but I'd also like to hear from you folks on your thoughts and experiences with these dogs. Understand that I have had GSP's for the last 14 years, and those dogs are all I really have had experience with, as far as owning hunting dogs is concerned. I am not throwing GSP's, and /or pointers under the bus, but my style of hunting has changed since the hunt test days, and a flusher is something I have been thinking about getting for awhile. A springer is also on my radar screen, so I wouldn't mind a few thoughts on those dogs as well. I did do a search on goldens here at HSO, but didn't find much as of late. Thanks for any help you can give.

BigRock,

email me and I can give you the name of a vet(friend of mine) that raises field bred goldens. I also have info for you on field bred springers. I have had labs in the past and have trained a friend's golden and now I currently have field bred springers. the one thing I will say thou is no matter which of the two breeds you decide to go with stay away from the show bred dogs. they are almost like a seperate bred. the personallities are totally different and they don't seem to make good hunting dogs(to laid back and normally have no hunting desire).

BigRock,

I have had 2 goldens in the last 26 years, both from the Frisbies out of Waverly, Mn, both national field trial champs and both great dogs around the house. They are expensive but well worth it. Another top golden was Super Trooper, very good line as well. I would do a little internet check on both of these and see what you can come up with.

Brad- Thanks for the reminder on the show vs. field dogs. It's been a long time since I was told that while looking for a new pup, but it is solid advice. Email coming to you soon.

TR- I will check out your recommendations. Thanks.

I've had two Goldens. The first was a perfect dog, and the second was horrible. Just depends on the breeder, and some dogs just aren't cut out for hunting. Right now, my Springer Spaniel is behaving a lot better than both Goldens combined.

Can't go wrong with either breed, I currently have both. Just spend the time with it, and you'll be satisfied.

The difficulty with breed selection and choice is that much depends upon each hunter's personal expectations from their hunting dog (i:e what might be unacceptable to me may be perfectly fine for someone else). Having said that, I have had and bred a # of golden retrievers years ago. They were all field trial-field bred dogs, and I am still very familiar with the golden field lines. If you want one, there are only a few breeding them in the state that I would buy from. Everyone one of them was the best pet imaginable and great family dogs. But it was a low percentage that I considered excellent gun dogs and lower yet that were trial dogs. I love the breed, their personality, their looks, etc., but found it hard to get one that met my expectations. I later migrated to labradors and as many on the board will attest to, from the right breeding can be and usually are excellent gun dogs that are very versatile for those that both upland and waterfowl. My waterfowl days are now very limited and I primarily upland hunt for pheasant and some grouse, and now have a springer and english cocker. I love their intensity and how they quarter, and for me they work well. I wouldnt have any other breeds. But thats the great thing about tall the choices and options we have as hunters. There is something for everyone. As to the question of springer vs golden, if hunting and how your dog performs is very important to you and you want the best chance for a dog that meets that expectation, I think you will have better probability with a well bred springer. Again, no disrespect to goldens. They're a great breed but it can be more difficult to get a good one. Best of luck

I hunted grouse over a mature golden many years ago. At that time it was one of the best dogs I had the pleasure of hunting with. He was a friend of mines neighbors dog. The owner didn't have time to hunt so teddy would catch up with us when no one was looking.

We decided to get a smaller breed and I grew up with hunting cocker spaniels. I couldn't locate a breeder so we went with a springer. Now we are on our third springer and I like the closer flushing of the springer. This one is three years old, got him in spirit lake Iowa. He just about got me trained to hunt pheasants the way I'm suppose to. smile

I will stay away from the breeding talk and give you my personal thoughts. I currently own a female golden and prior to that I owned a male golden. Both were great dogs and for me I wouldn't own any other breed. I am slightly more partial to the female because she's so dang smart and she's smaller. Both have loved to hunt, both have had excellent noses for pheasants, finding birds that my buddies lab did not. The only negatives are longer hair, not a big deal if you keep it trimmed, and both seemed to want to walk behind me after a long day of hunting, maybe my fault for lack of conditioning or maybe they were too smart and knew there were no birds around. They can be prone to hip problems but neither of mine had issues, my male lived to 14 and my female is 10. A good vet can examine them and get a pretty good idea if they would be susceptible to hip problems.

Think of it this way, they are one of the primary service dogs for the disabled, because they are smart, easy to train, and willing to please. They have a great temperment. My two cents.

Quote:
Think of it this way, they are one of the primary service dogs for the disabled, because they are smart, easy to train, and willing to please. They have a great temperment.

I agree, and there isn't much difference between a springer or golden retriever in these aspects. I would be happy with either one that could hunt.

BigRock,

email me and I can give you the name of a vet(friend of mine) that raises field bred goldens. I also have info for you on field bred springers. I have had labs in the past and have trained a friend's golden and now I currently have field bred springers. the one thing I will say thou is no matter which of the two breeds you decide to go with stay away from the show bred dogs. they are almost like a seperate bred. the personallities are totally different and they don't seem to make good hunting dogs(to laid back and normally have no hunting desire).

IMAG0034.jpg

IMAG0087.jpg

GunnarWD-MKC-medcrop.jpg

CH Avalor Mamma's Son of a Gun

Your right show dogs don't make good hunting dogs! wink Sometimes advice from people isn't the greatest. But we all have our opinions. smile I know many "show dog goldens" that do hunt tests too. Just find a good breeder and you will be fine. Contact your local golden retriever club or any other breed club and they will point you in the right direction.

Goldens are great dogs. Very intelligent, loving animals. But they do shed hair like no tomorrow. smile

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Playing the odds:

If you want a flusher for upland hunting it's very hard to beat a field bred Springer.

A field bred English Cocker comes in a close second.

I own a very nice lab and train a Golden. Goldens make great family dogs but will have a tough time beating a springer at finding and flushing game.

Much like a springer will have a tough time beating a lab at taking lines or hunting ducks a lab will have a tough time beating a field bred springer at finding and flushing upland game. As an owner of a pretty good lab I would have argued that point at one time. I now know better.

It really does boil down to personal preference. If you like to hunt ducks and pheasants get a lab.

If you do a fair amount of upland hunting get a springer. If your wife wants a lovable lap dog, sharp as a tack that hunts almost as well as a springer, get a field bred English Cocker.

Spend the money and get a good springer or english cocker one out of field trial lines. Look for nose, you can't train nose smile

(Nore: An English Cocker is Different from an American Cocker)

If you want to come watch us train springers and cockers PM me. If you like to hunt you should enjoy it.

I grew up with Goldens, and really like the breed. I do not currently own my own dog though. When I go waterfowl hunting I take my dad's dog.

Young goldens have a lot of energy and all the dogs we had in my family loved to run if you let them. I remember we lost one to a car when I was young, another got kicked by a horse once. We also had one stolen from us... They all started to settle down after four or five years as I recall.

All were great family dogs, I have two younger brothers and we had two goldens in the house when we were toddlers. I don't remember any of us ever being bitten or having problems with the dogs growing up. They all loved to be petted too and would beg from anybody to get them to scratch or pet them.

Eventually my parents adopted a black lab from a family, and he was dumb as a rock and a poor hunter. The lab died last year. I never could get him to hunt worth a darn. My brother has a GSP, who is stubborn but has an excellent nose for upland birds but cannot waterfowl hunt to save his life. Way too much energy and will not sit still at all, and he doesn't listen to me at all and requires a shock collar.

My dad's current golden is about 10 years old now and age is catching up to him, but he loves to hunt both waterfowl and upland birds. He gets bored sitting in the waterfowl blind with me, but as long as I keep petting him he is fine.

IMG_0336%25255B1%25255D.JPG

I have springers now and probably never will switch. However, I have been around Golden's and have to say that for what I do (mainly upland hunting with a little duck hunting mixed in) the Golden would be my second choice. You can't go wrong either way as long as it's from a good breeder of field lines.

Thanks for the added replies and info. since I last posted. I am leaning more towards getting a springer, but in my household democracy, all things have to be considered.grin I am looking for mainly an upland bird dog, and not so much a waterfowling dog. I am too busy to start duck hunting now, and if I ever decide to, I'll look at getting a lab, or another waterfowling dog. Yea, the journey is just starting in getting a new pup. I plan on taking my time, and checking things out thoroughly before buying. I did exactly this same thing when I got my first GSP, and I thought I hit the jackpot when I got Major. Thanks again for all the help/info. here at HSO. I do appreciate it.

okstate

there is alway a few exceptions to everything. but when was the last time you heard of a dual champion Golden or even for that sake a Labrador. Back when I was running hunt tests you seen very few show dogs entered from either breed. I would hope for not just goldens but labs also that the breeds would get back to more of a dual type of dog. In my opinion right now I say the Chessies are the closest to producing a dual type dog. let me know when the dog you posted the picture of gets it's master hunter title or becomes qualified all age.

My last golden, sloughdog was a MH, Master tracker, and the wife got him the first few obedience titles as well. In addition he was a rock-star with waterfowl and a pretty good pheasant dog. Really hunt crazy. He had both Frisbee and Super Trooper on his pedigree. My new dog, Loki doesn't have quite the pedigree but he's coming along nicely. They are a good dual purpose breed for ducks and pheasants. If you do a lot of grouse you might lean more towards a field bred english springer. I have to grudgingly admit they are the better upland dog. Goldens are very eager to please and will do whatever job you groom them for. Mine would fetch firewood for me when camping. He knew to get more when the fire got low. You need to be careful to get one bred from proven hunters. There are a lot of poorly bred, oversized, off-standard ones out there due to the popularity of the breed and everybody wanting to be a "breeder."