• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery range rules different than firearms?????

bikeoutback

Is the range rules different than firearms range? I was very very uneasy yesterday. I was at a park in the cities that has an archery range, 4 hanging bales. I was shooting on lane 1 at 10 yards to start my sighting process. Guy shows and sets on l ane 2 at 10 yards also as he is doing the same. Another guy comes and sets on lane 3 and is firing arrows from between 40-50 arrows. When the guy next to me moved to 20 yards I removed my arrows and was just watching as I wasn't prepared to move back yet. Well in the next ten minutes I watched as these guys both shot arrows while the other was in front of them removing arrows from the bale. Maybe this is ok in archery but I'm doubting it. Seems highly unsafe for a guy to be at the bale on lane 2 removing arrows while another in the next lane over is slinging arrows from 40-50 yards away. I packed up and left, too uncomfortable to stay, I'll shoot when I get home and it's just me.

i would have said something that just isnt cool, you would be surprised at some of the stuff you see at the ranges.

1+ No reason for this. Something should be said because NO it is NOT cool.

My gf and her dad went to the range Friday night, he hadn't shot all summer and his first arrow went right into the wood frame that holds the targets in, he tried to get it out and wasn't having any luck and didn't want to hold the range up so he told the other 3 people there he would come back later to pull it because he didn't want to hold them up. They did a bit of the walking course and came back and the arrow was gone, my gf asked what happened to it and they said they didn't know what she was talking about the one guy that watched her dad go and try and pull it out said he didn't even know there was an arrow stuck. We went back yesterday to shoot and it was in the garbage, so in the matter of 20 min they were gone one of the 3 went to try and take the arrow, broke it off then threw it away and lied about it. Really makes you wonder, there goes $20

Interesting topic. I shoot at a range where we have trees in between each other. I can hear the shot but cannot see the person shooting or retrieving their arrows. I assume that going in front of each other is not an issue. Your thoughts on this. The range is off of Lexington Ave about 2 miles south of Lake Drive. I think the town is Shoreview. I am new to the area so I do not know my town boundaries yet.

Thanks guys I thought it would be the same.... logic says it only takes one slip for a tragic accident to happen and a few simple rules/procedures to prevent it. I probably should have said something but something about the guy's appearance and mannerisms told me he wouldn't have cared.

Funny enough on the drinking, I had worked with my Dad Sunday before going to the range, it was a long enough day. Got back to his place, showered and he went to grab a beer and asked if I wanted one. Now I like me my firearms and my beer but I've got a rule as to which one comes before the other. I wanted to shoot the bow more than I wanted a beer so I passed till after I got back from shooting.

I shoot in Bloomington off France ave and this is common. There are 7 bails that are 15 to 20 yards apart and they are all shooting at differant times and distances. There isn't anyone there cordinating when everyone should or shouldn't shoot. My question is does everyone have to shoot from where the shortest guy is shooting from? How about if I am shooting at 50 yards and someone shows up next to me am I obligated to shoot at his pace and distance or, does that archer need to shoot my distance? or do they have to wait until I am done or another bail opens to shoot? Just wondering what people think about it.

Bikeoutback, I have seen the same behavior at other city park ranges. Nobody knows the rules because there are no rules posted. The times I have been there with others I take the time to ask what distance they want to shoot from and I shoot with them to ensure we are all together. I usually strike up a conversation and offer help when they have bow troubles or questions. Everyone I have ever seen at the smaller park shooting areas shoot low budget equipment and usually don't know much about archery. So far have not had to deal with more than one other person or couple at a time.

Muskeswen, I have shot at that range you are talking about, and have been very nervous on a few occasions. Some of the lanes are not very thick with trees/bushes, and an arrow goes through them easily. The times that I have been next to others I make sure to shoot either the same distance as the lanes next to me, or darn close to it. Mosquitoes are pretty bad there as well, so I usually only go there later in the fall. It is a big enough place though that you can often have an empty lane between shooters for safety. I also try to synchronize my shooting with the guys in the next lane to avoid pulling my arrows and wondering if they are going to shoot me through the brush on accident.

WOW!!!! After reading this post, I feel darn lucky that I can shoot my bow in my back yard at my target and have nothing to worry about. My yard is big enough that I can shoot up to 30 yard shots. Sounds like going to one of these ranges can be a big pain in the arse at times.

I typically avoid prime shooting times out there just because it is too nerve racking. I live right by it so if it is busy i just go home and check later. I moved to the city 3 years ago and was really surprised at how it works. I miss shooting in my yard.

MUCH more enjoyable at the range last night... of course that might be because the range is in my front yard wink I knew those driveway markers would come in handy for something else besides plowing in the winter. Right now they are marking every 10 yards from 10 to 40. I'm gonna stick to my front yard and the pro shop range from now on I think.

I never shoot into the bales as the arrows are hard to get out and there is too much junk in them like field points that come loose, etc.

I always bring my foam target and set it up against the bale to stabilize it and sometimes if there is a long distance shooter, I shoot from the yard marker they are shooting at but I bring my target closer to the distance I want to shoot and that keeps me out of harms way! And nobody seems to care where I place my target! Plus, I can shoot my broadheads into my target! cool