• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

After 3 Years In Storage-Launch Thoughts?

Dellfin

Due to being impacted by a corporate downsizing that began in February of 2009, my '05 Glastron has been sitting on jacks in storage. Psychologically, I couldn't find it in myself to enjoy it while I was out of work. After being winterized in October of '08 I stored it with a full tank of fuel and it hasn't been in the water since then.

After finding that both air stems on the wheels had rotted away and replacing thoem I pulled it home yesterday. I plan to put it into the water next week. My concern is that the fuel is old and stale. I'm wondering what the experts think I'll encounter when I try to start it and get it running.

Would an additive to the fuel be advised (maybe Seafoam?) before I attempt to start it? I really don't have the facilities to drain 30 gallons of fuel from the tank. Should I fog the cylinders? I don't really have too much engine knowledge and I am trying to prevent issues that could have been prevented before trying to get back on the water.

Or, should I just expect the motor to start like it was any another day?

Thanks!

Dell

fogging the cylinders should have been done before you put it away, won't do any good now. additives won't restore old gas either, too late for that now.

I would get rid of that gas. I would probably get a siphon pump and get as much out as possible. Maybe you could get this done somewhere that deals with hazardous automotive chemicals like a mechanics shop or something for a nominal fee. Otherwise I think I would put it in 5 gallon buckets from the hardware store, slap a lids on it, and bring it to the local hazardous waste recycler. Just don't send it down the drain, somebody decided to do that in my neighborhood a month ago and everyone was evacuated after the manhole cover blew off.

I'd siphon it off in the 5 gal cans like bobby said, and then I would just add it to my truck gas 5 gals at a time when I filled up. I do that with all my old gas, never problems.

Even if you can just get 5 or even 10 gallons out, then add that much new gas back in (preferably non-ozy) it will help.

I would also change the lower unit lube, or at least make sure it is topped off properly. Other than that, just start it like it was new smile oh yeah, probably need a new battery, not just a charge, but a new batt.

good luck, hope you have fun again in your boat!

Personally I wouldnt worry about getting all of the gas out, but getting half out would be a big help. Once you get that out, top off with fresh gas. Adding some seafoam at this point would be a good idea, not because it will treat the bad gas, but will help clean up the carb/injectors if there is any residue in there.

Draining the lower unit would be a must I think even if it was done right before putting it away. Cheap insurance for you anyway.

Try and start the motor at home in the driveway with the "muffs" on it. Nothing more frustrating than the guy at the landing trying to start his motor for the first time tying up the dock. Usually thats on opener morning, so this is much less bad, but give it a whirl at home first please.

Batteries need attention too. If they were in the boat this whole time they are probably toast. Make sure you check water level in them and top off then charge. But a better idea might be to just replace them.

If left in the boat over the winter without a full charge they will freeze. I am sure over time they completely lost their charge and your batteries will be suspect now.

Fill the axle with grease as well as the hyrdaulics on the motor to make sure you get any air or water out of those systems.

My regular auto mechanic agreed to drain the fuel for about $75 into cans that I provide. My county provides hazardous waste disposal and accepts old gas from residents at no charge. After lube, new battery and lower unit fluid replacement, I should be set.

Thanks for the replies, folks!

For that price I'd strongly consider spending $15 on some gas hose and a primer bulb... stick the hose down the fill cap and get a siphon started.

Just my opinion.. but $75 seems like a lot for a pretty quick, straight forward task.

marine_man

Just stating again, that I would just dump the gas into my truck. Mixed with some new fuel, it will just burn up. It's not the same as a small engine like an outboard. Heck, I had 6 year old ethanol gas in an RV, and that thing fired up and ran fine after sitting for a few years.

Even in the outboard, just get some of it out, and add new fuel, and you will be fine. Run it down to almost empty, and fill er up fresh. No penalty, no foul wink

Good luck, and have fun out on the water!

For that price I'd strongly consider spending $15 on some gas hose and a primer bulb... stick the hose down the fill cap and get a siphon started.

Just my opinion.. but $75 seems like a lot for a pretty quick, straight forward task.

marine_man

+1,000,000

I had exact same problem, boat stored for 10 years. although previous owner stated he just bought new gas last fall to turn over motor for possible buyers, after I just put $900 into motor, no way was i taking any chances for $10 worth of possible bad gas.......found an old used mercury 6 gal can on a-sales-site for $10, put brand new hose and adapter on ($25), filled mercury can with fresh oil & stabil & filled up with gas, pumped old gas out via fuel line & gas pump switch into 5 gal bucket, then dumped fresh gas into tank & old gas from 5 gal bucket into 6 gal mercury can which i will dump for free via countys free hazardous waste event at end of month. Have $35 into can & parts and can now use as emergency reserve if i ever happen to run out on lake, again all for $35 instead of going to store & buying 5 or 6 gas cans which i will never use again. Maybe u can find 5 gal pails with lids for free somewhere to siphon some out if you want to.

OK, got'er done.

My mechanic said that before they started draining the gas he sent one his of his "techs" out to hook up a battery to see what the fuel gauge would read. The tech failed to hook up any of the accessory wires; only the main pos/neg cables. He called me up and said there was no gas in the tank. (Scratches head...?) I swore that I'd stored with a full tank. Went to his shop and we snaked a hose down the filler tube and it came back dry. (No wonder-there is a 90 degree bend as it enters the top of fuel tank that the hose could not navigate.) He charged me nothing.

Bought a new battery, brought it home and attached all the cables. PING! The needle went directly to full. I attached a hose to the full pump outlet, and wired it to a battery. 45 minutes later I have five 6-gallon tanks full of old, stale fuel.

Should be ready to dump in the lake this w/e.

My regular auto mechanic agreed to drain the fuel for about $75 into cans that I provide. My county provides hazardous waste disposal and accepts old gas from residents at no charge. After lube, new battery and lower unit fluid replacement, I should be set.

Thanks for the replies, folks!

Dell, where do you live? I just drained my tank of ten gals of mixed gas because my newer motor is oil injected. That's crazy to pay someone to do that for $75 and then pay another $50 to refill it. crazy I'll do it for $20 and keep the old gas! laugh But really, go to fleet and get a siphon hose for $8 bucks and do it yourself! wink