• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Greatest Asset??

titelines

Stopped at a dealer yesterday to pick up a couple replacement keys. Went to the parts department and stood there for about 3 minutes before the guy working (sitting on the computer right in front of me) acknowledged me. Instead of a "hello" or "what can I do for you?"...I was greeted with a "Yeah?'

I showed him the broken key that needed to be replaced...he said "what the h@!@ did you do to this thing?" Told him it just broke when I went to start the motor. As if I was lying, he says..."these things just don't break"...

He grabs a couple replacement keys and tosses them on the counter with enough force that one falls on the ground. I pay and say "thanks"...nothing from this guy...no "thank you" or anything.

As I'm driving away, I see a sign at their entrance that says "Thank You! You're our Greatest Asset"...

Had to chuckle just a little. In these tough times, the most important thing a business can do is treat their customers as well as possible. You don't have to feed me grapes and fan me with a palm branch, but at least act like you appreciate me being there.

Personally I would find out who runs the place and express my concern. Even if they gave me free winterization I don't think I would trust that shop to touch my boat! For one thing, the way gas prices are going up the boat dealers should realize that not one of us has a boat because it's a necessity, and they should be thankful there is anyone left that enjoys fishing enough to pay for it! Just my two cents..

I'm guessing he was probably having a bad day. Maybe he was ticked off about something totally unrelated to his job or who knows. At any rate his behavior was totally out of line. Those kinds of emotions need to be checked at the door always. If he can't do that then he has no business working where he deals directly with customers. It gives the entire company a bad name and doesn't serve his customers at all.

I would most definitely let the company know about that experience. Don't do it because there's a chance you might get some free service or parts. It's not about getting free stuff. Do it because you want to continue doing business with them. If you don't care to continue doing business with them then it sounds like you could care less about that company's survival and doing nothing is your best option. Letting them (the management) know about your experience would demonstrate to them that you do want to continue doing business and you do care about the company. If nothing changes then move on.

All good comments here, thanks for tolerating my mini rant. In the grand scheme of things it's not the end of the world but...Every job I've ever had, customer service has been a huge component. Numerous experiences in the last couple years has me fearing that it's beginning to be a lost art as "younger" people just don't seem to know how to interact with people anymore.

I normally go somewhere else, but was in a pinch this time and had no other options. Really made me appreciate the service I normally receive.

I'm over it...See ya' on the water smile

... Numerous experiences in the last couple years has me fearing that it's beginning to be a lost art as "younger" people just don't seem to know how to interact with people anymore.

... Really made me appreciate the service I normally receive.

titelines, funny you should post this yesterday....I had the exact same feelings / concerns at a gas station/ convenience store yesterday. I rarely complain about CS, I just don't return.

Yesterday, was a classic example of your assessment that CS is becoming a lost art in younger people. Without going into a long story, the statement "Ya...Well... I had to get back to the food!!!", by a young looking manager, told me some rotating hot dogs were more important than the customer. I emailed the parent companies CS contact...not to "tattle" on the young gal, but in hopes that she would gain some understand of CS. The middle-aged sales associate had 10 X's the CS skills (apologetic, inquiring, honesty) than the "manager".

Like you, I don't need to be fanned and hand-fed grapes, but I don't expect to be embarrassed (for her more than myself) and hold up a line of customers over a minor issue. With that said, I've had many EXCELLENT CS from young people lately as well....They are usually complimented verbally and when appropriate, tipped generously. good luck....

I had a local dealer treat me like that on several occasions. Well time goes on, and when the time came, $25K went to one of their competitors and will again. I wouldn't waste my time complaining to anyone at that dealership because most of them don't have all that many employees and the management already knows how this guy treats his customers.

I wouldn't waste my time complaining to anyone at that dealership because most of them don't have all that many employees and the management already knows how this guy treats his customers.

I have to agree, if you run a business and don't know how your employees treat people you are really out of touch with your business. These type of employees not only treat customers with disdain, but most of the time also intimidate the manager or owner. The management needs to take a stand and save their business. Word of mouth can make but more often break a business.

Mike