• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trading in a bow?

Any advice or input on this topic? Do most of you guys or gals do this when getting a new bow or do you sell the old one yourself or keep it as a back-up? I'm going to bring my six year old Parker BuckHunter set-up, with newer accessories in next week to the local, reputable pro-shop for a trade-in quote as I'm considering purchasing a new bow. However, I think I'm just going to hang on to what I have as a back-up as I'm thinking I won't get much for it. I'm just putting myself in their shoes having to resell it and make a profit.

You're right, you probably won't get much for it for trade-in. If you need the cash to finance the new one, you might be better off trying to sell it to a private party yourself. If not, there's nothing wrong with having a trusty backup rig!

Thanks for the replies guys and confirming what I was thinking. Yes, I was thinking I would just hold onto it. You never know when something will go wrong with your new bow. Plus, even though it's an "entry-level" bow and outdated and not as cool as the new bow I want (lol), I still like it and its worked good enough to take 8 deer. I could slso rig it up for bowfishing as previously mentioned though I have enough activities going right now as is.

I always have two bows and bring with on all trips. Your better off bringing the extra bow then a backup string. I've had to end up using my backup on two hunts over the 15 years of having two bows. Might not seem like it but when you need that back up it's sure nice.

Just sold a bow this summer money towards the new Element. grin

Thanks ArcherySniper. Good point. My son is 7, however the bow likely won't crank down low enough for him. Right now he's shooting a little Scout compound or whatever they call it but getting into it enough where I might have to invest in a lower weight compound for him next year.

Diamond makes a sweet youth bow called the Razor's Edge. Wide range of adjustments in both draw weight and length. My son started out pulling just 29 lbs. with it but is near 40 now, and it really spits 'em out there.

An update on this. I traded in her in today and got what I felt was a great value at $125 (considering I spent $350 nearly 7 years ago now)toward my Outlaw, by the way, which is totally awesome. Could not be happier. Guys at the shop spent plenty of time with me on the draw length, weight, peep adjustment, and even sight pins. The latter which wasnt necessary but they were just being helpful and didnt want me to leave til I was nailing the bullseye consistently and feeling comfortable doing it. Thanks for the input guys.

Thanks DonBo. I felt like it. I know I could have maybe gotten a little more if I was fortunate enough to sell it on my own but when you think about it, one third of the value after 7 years is pretty good for no work on my part. Plus, looking at the used bows/prices they had on hand, I'm doubting they'll get much more than that for it if they want to sell it. I also checked with a few friends to see if they'd want to get into archery and none did. And I really don't need another bow right now.

My experience also stresses the importance of getting your bow at a pro shop. They really bent over backwards to help me leave satisfied and so I felt confident in my shooting abilities with my new bow. I've been in some stores before where they've literally rushed me out of the archery department.