• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Motor opinion!

buddha

I've owned a Suzuki and now own a Yammi (only because it came with the boat) and my buddy has a Verado. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the motors you listed. The Verado and Suzuki are the quietest by far over the Yammi. I can't comment on the Honda, because I've never fished with one. I believe the Yammi is going to have more HP than just the 150 that it's rated at. If you want quiet, definitely go with the Suzuki or Verado, they're both very quiet. The Yammi's not loud, it's just not near as quiet as the other 2. Good luck.

...I would base it on 1) Warranty and 2) Cost and rebates.
...3) price, and 4) dealership/service department.

I own a Suzuki and they are outstanding, but I routinely read from everyone that they are all exceptional motors. It does seem like the list above should determine your purchase more than the brand itself.

It's actually funny to read a 4-stroke motor debate. It's no Ford vs Chevy type of deal. They are the most polite debates you'll ever read because nobody has anything bad to say about they motors, but they all love the one that they have on their boat. To me that says a lot about the quality of 4-strokes these days.

I pulled the trigger on the 150 Verado, it currently has a 5 yr warrenty. My previous motor was a 4 stroke Honda and I loved it and had zero issues. The Merc came attached to the new boat I bought so I will learn to love that one too. Suzy was one of them I was leaning on as I have heard more and more good stuff about them. Thanks for the input!

I've owned a Suzuki and now own a Yammi (only because it came with the boat) and my buddy has a Verado. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the motors you listed. The Verado and Suzuki are the quietest by far over the Yammi. I can't comment on the Honda, because I've never fished with one. I believe the Yammi is going to have more HP than just the 150 that it's rated at. If you want quiet, definitely go with the Suzuki or Verado, they're both very quiet. The Yammi's not loud, it's just not near as quiet as the other 2. Good luck.

Exactly what Kdawg said. I've got a Yami 150 now as well. We both had 140 Suzuki's on prior boats. Although the 150 Yamaha has a great reputation, I would have gotten a Suzuki, and will probably get one again with boat in the future. I just steered my dad into repowering with a Suzuki. I'm gonna like his boat again with that "sowing machine" quiet motor on the back. good luck....

Isn't a Johnson just a Suzuki w/ white hood? I had an '03 60 hp that was. I believe they are both offered in a 140 not sure about 150, if that even makes a difference.

Not since 2006. Prior to that you are correct.

BRP (Bombardier Recreation Products) makes Evinrude, which makes / sells the ETEC motors (only). No Johnson brand anymore as far as new motors. BRP still makes / sells Johnson engine parts though.

BRP (Bombardier Recreation Products) makes Evinrude, which makes / sells the ETEC motors (only). No Johnson brand anymore as far as new motors. BRP still makes / sells Johnson engine parts though.

That's what I thought. No four-strokes (rebadged suzuki) anymore.

but I would base it on 1) Warranty and 2) Cost and rebates.

My buddy took the Evinrude warranty into consideration when he bought his Etec. After two new powerheads, and changing the injectors three times in the first year and a half. Evinrude refused to work on it anymore, and told him to enjoy his motor, which still ran horrible, stalled all the time, and couldn't powerload onto the trailer.

A court date is scheduled for early next year.