• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Call or Email Gov Dayton

JJJ

Down numbers often reflect a change in the walleye population. More large adult fish and less small ones.

Catch pre Unit effort does not tell the whole story.

Talk in person to DNR biologists about all the factors, instead of putting up a chart which shows a number that you have to be able to inerpret to draw conclusions from.

Walleye populations have become healthier in the stocked lakes.

JS

Then we can talk about the addition Walleyes that are stocked to off set predation by the newly introduced invasive species.

You bring up a great point about the additional walleye stocking that is needed to offset predation from other species. Unfortunately, you are confused on the species that has the greatest effect there. It's hammer handle northern pike populations. Something that northern pike slots help deter. But I guess we're ok with fewer slots and more money pumped into walleye stocking as a result. Not to mention the negative trickle down effect on all species that are effected by stunted pike populations.

Thanks for bringing that up.

Aaron

So now spearfisherman are poachers?

We should talk about the DNR carelessly stocking Muskies in lakes they don't belong to pacify select groups. Then we can talk about the addition Walleyes that are stocked to off set predation by the newly introduced invasive species.

The holier than thou muskie attitude gets tiresome.

DNR carelessly stocking Muskies huh? Wow, thats a good one. Care to back that up with some evidence?

This has been beat to death over and over and there has never once been factual evidence that I have seen that supports this. The data that was passed around regarding the 9 lakes who declined is laughable. YOu have to provide the whole picture besides just what happened to walleyes.

The DNR in MN does and excellent job in my opinion selecting waters that would qualify or do well with musky stocking. I have never seen ANY evidence that muskies harm native pike populations and if anything the native pike populations would serve to negate or make ineffective any stocking efforts due to their voracious feeding patterns.

Muskies are managed to such few numbers per acre that there is no way they can overrun a lake. The DNR carefully studies what a lake can hold based on all kinds of factors especially baitfish.

What I have a major problem with is the Darkhouse anglers pushing such legislation with their lobbying skills that has no business being run by our legislature. Do you really want more government? Is it our legislator's job and expertise to know what is best for our lakes? Ridiculous. They cant even do what they were supposed to do let alone get this right.

All this will do is hamstring the DNR from making proper decisions. It has no business in the bill it was in nor does it have any business being controlled by government.

Oh boy... What a "Pandora's Box" has been opened!!! The ramification of this will be way greater than anyone can think of... Not just allowing spearing on Cass, but removal of slot limits on 15 lakes, along with removing power from DNR who has worked tireless at everything you see out there...

Give me a break... So what??? You cannot spear few lakes out of what??? over 900... At least the Muskie group were more than willing to compromise... and you guys had to achieve the goal by backdoor dealing... We all know what the long-term results tend to be for backdoor dealers...

I guess its back to the times where there are thousands of people complaining about hammerhandles and blaming reasons for stunted populations on this n that just because their ignorance, selfishness, and closemindess blinded them very so... You sure can lead idiots to school but you cannot make them learn!!!

Again, a form of Pandora's Box has been opened... and we'll look back on to this day when everything falls apart... I've already heard of few extreme muskie fishermen talking about how they're gonna play fire with fire... and Im sure that few of you can get the guist of it... Who asked for it??? Think about it!!! Now have a nice day!!!

Again, a form of Pandora's Box has been opened... and we'll look back on to this day when everything falls apart... I've already heard of few extreme muskie fishermen talking about how they're gonna play fire with fire... and Im sure that few of you can get the guist of it... Who asked for it??? Think about it!!! Now have a nice day!!!

I hope this doesn't lead to that but...why couldn't the MDHA agree to the deal that would have let them spear on Cass?

Since hammerhandles like to chow on stocked walleyes, lets quit dumping them in lakes with pike populations that are mostly hammerhandles. Like that would happen. Just imagine the outrage.

Healthy and balanced pike populations are good for all species in a lake. This won't help that.

How can the MDHA (representing 1% of anglers) get this done. Maybe Muskie Inc should reevaluate how they do things. I mean no offense to the guys working on behalf of Muskie fishermen, but maybe a change of tactics is in order.

i'm not sure what "extreme" muskie fishermen mean by "play fire with fire," but if it means whining and moaning when their lobby doesn't get its way, well, it's already happening. pretty hard to sympathize with people who insult anyone who doesn't see things their way, and who generally pretend they are some sort of ascended being compared to other sportsmen. Not all muskie anglers, of course, but far too many. FARRRR too many.

Since hammerhandles like to chow on stocked walleyes, lets quit dumping them in lakes with pike populations that are mostly hammerhandles. Like that would happen. Just imagine the outrage.

Healthy and balanced pike populations are good for all species in a lake. This won't help that.

How can the MDHA (representing 1% of anglers) get this done. Maybe Muskie Inc should reevaluate how they do things. I mean no offense to the guys working on behalf of Muskie fishermen, but maybe a change of tactics is in order.

Your 100% right about the wasted money stocking lakes to feed hammer handles, the DNR has a formula(called the Power Factor) for stocking eyes and the only biological factor in the equation is Pike density. Try to get them to talk about that once, wanna see them get testy; LMFAO..Drop them a e-mail haha

Taking the high road and trying to compromise with these guys and the legislature they seem to control is futile at this point. The game has changed, stay tuned.

i'm not sure what "extreme" muskie fishermen mean by "play fire with fire," but if it means whining and moaning when their lobby doesn't get its way, well, it's already happening. pretty hard to sympathize with people who insult anyone who doesn't see things their way, and who generally pretend they are some sort of ascended being compared to other sportsmen. Not all muskie anglers, of course, but far too many. FARRRR too many.
No I sure didnt mean whining and moaning... Just think far worse... Its pretty hard to really look up to people who already has over 1000 lakes they can spear from and yet whine to the Legislature about Cass Lake and wanting to spear it without any provision in place, and to make sure that the DNR cannot do anything about it for the next 5 years... Whos the stupid one here??? Certainly not the Muskie people as we TRIED to compromise with them on two occasions... We were not against spearing, all we wanted was to work together to achieve one greater means... so dont give me that "ascended" thing...

It's funny as I read through these posts and one pro speaker guy made the comment about musky guys making it seem Luke spearers were of lesser intelligence. Well, when reason is thrown out the door, compromise isn't considered, long range impacts determined, allowing the people who really know how to manage fisheries do their job, it is really hard to say spearers are educated at all. At least they seem to lack common sense. The mn dnr does an amazing job getting the fisheries to where they are today with effective management. What just happened is all the years of hard work was thrown out the window.

I can't believe that the slot limits on pike got dropped to 100 lakes. Are you kidding me. I thought the cap at 125 lakes was low. How a small group like the MDAA gets this thru is beyond me. From the guys I fish with this is very unpopular. You have to wonder how many spearfishermen were for this. I think that this will hurt spearfishing in the long run.

i think the spearers are the palestinians and the muskie guys are the israelis. it works on several levels.

I agree. There's a lot of emotion, anger on both sides. The anger and politics just seems to grow. The MDAA is politically active and I believe the MMPA is gearing up to be more politically active. Each side makes the other a stronger, more entrenched enemy.

Please remind me to quit wasting my time reading this junk.