• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Stocked Eyes VS. Native Eyes...

Howdy all....

I was wondering....

You see all the lakes the the DNR stocks with walleye. For some lakes this is to bolster natural reproduction. For others, it's to introduce them to a body of water with no reproduction. Where walleyes are not a "native" species...

Question....

Do stocked walleyes "behave" the same as native walleyes? To fish for the stocked fish, do we use classic walleye tactics? Classic locations/patterns? Or is a complete change up needed?

------------------
M-H (aka: Dan)

I'd say stocked fish might relate more to weeds in some lakes just because many of the lakes that the DNR stocks walleyes in are bass/panfish lakes.

Those types of lakes generally have more weeds and less classic walleye structure like rocks/gravel.

They adapt to their environment.

From what I've learned, stocked walleyes relate more to weeds/weedlines and native walleyes relate more to traditional structure. The weedlines have done it for me this year fishing on stocked lakes.

I have also head the same as Shorelunch stated.
Now, I dont think all the stocked walleye will behave this way and I dont really know why they would anyhow. Maybe its because of what they look for in there rearing ponds, I dont know.

Does someone have some good solid info on this topic?

------------------
And keep those hooks sharp!

I think they relate to different structure because they weren't born in the system. I am a firm believer that all fish are born with a genetic imprint of the system they are in. This is how they know to go back to the same spawning areas year after year. Stocked fish lack this imprint. Thus relating to the closet structure they were released near. The reason a lot of walleyes relate to mid-lake structure is that they were probably born there. Most walleyes spawn within the lake system, and most mid-lake structure is rock and gravel perfect for spawning.

Speaking of stocking, has the DNR ever considered putting money into impoving spawning habitat for walleyes in lakes instead of just stocking them every year??? I would think it would save a lot of money if they could boost the natural reproduction of a lake instead of having to stock it every other year. Obviously this would not be possible on every lake but if it could be done on some then I think it would be beneficial.

Just an idea

Yes the DNR dooes do some habitat improvment, but they are very selective on their sites.
They dumped a few loads of gravel in the river that flows through South Long Lake SE of Brainerd. According to the Fisheries Office it has increased the production by allowing more fish to use the structure.
mw

One thing about creating spawning habitat for walleyes is that you could build the best spawning habitat on the lake and it would most likely remain void of walleyes. But if money was spent to improve an existing spawning area that over time has become unfavorable, the results are much more likely to be what you’re looking for. If you or anyone else, is aware of such a location near the Brainerd area Please let me know. The Brainerd Walleye Alliance is always looking for projects of this exact nature.

www.mnwalleyealliance.com

I just had this discussion with my bro the other day. He works for DNR-Fisheries and has a MS in fisheries, so I could almost trust him smile.gif. He says, similar to C. Haley above, that stocked fish start their young life in rearing ponds where deep structure/rocks/ect. are not present. In most of these ponds the only 'cover' is the weeds, so they relate to them...hunting, hanging out, etc. When they are harvested from these ponds and placed in a new lake, they immediately go to what they know - weeds. Does this jive with others ideas/experience/opinions?

That might true for fingerlings or yearlings,but fry are put into the lakes right after they hatch. In northern mn I think that most of the stocked fish are fry.
I know that on Winni that the DNR has tagged walleyes and some spawn in the same spot year after year and some go to different spots one year and the come back to the same spot again.
They are also putting a dye in the fry so they will be able to tell if the fish is stocked when they do the lake surveys.
Good topic!

------------------
jessieview.com