• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

channel cats

GlassEyeangler

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No harm in helping each other out.

What Brad said is not exactly ground breaking.

Just solid info to help someone get started.

Ground breaking, no - however the OP asked a specific question about a specific body of water for a specific species of fish in a specific size range for a specific purpose. He asked about "eater" channel cats and even said he wasn't looking for big fish. Somehow now the countless masses who troll around looking for hot tips know about the "hot bite" (lmao) on the MN river for "trophy flatheads and walleyes" as well as how channel cats are the premiere culinary delight ... lol - perhaps I shouldn't have been quite as blunt, but then again, you don't see me steering fishing pressure towards bodies of water I don't fish either ... No hard feelings Brad - clearly you're just trying to help a guy out ... I just would have helped out a bit differently I suppose. Can't knock a cat for the way he purrs I guess smile

death match on the carver trestle Friday at sundown laugh
No we can't have it at the trestle - there will be way too many people there flocking to the trestle - I don't know if you have heard this, but the MN river is ON FIRE right now :P

They should build octagons at the river launches.
Actually they should put them at public accesses on all the big lakes - but only on opener. I have a feeling there would be some pretty good throwdowns!

Nick no hard feelings. It's okay. you have been cattin long enough now to know that the sport of catfishing has grown and will continue to grow in minnesota and there will be more people out there. regardless of body of water we will all have to adapt to this increase like it or not. yes I don't fish the minnesota except for maybe 2 or 3 times a year but I would if I was closer to it. I am 45 minute to an hours drive from the different accesses and by the time I get home from work at night I am too tired and it is to late to even think about going that far with having to work the next morning. it would be no different then you driving all the way up to my area to fish the mississippi which you are welcome to do if you want to. as for weekends it is hard for me to get away because I have my kids every weekend. that what sucks about being divorced. I love my kid dearly and they come first before fishing. this doesn't mean I don't fish on weekends I am just limited to where and when I can go since I need to see if grandma can watch them while I go for a while. hope this clears the air and again there is no hard feelings.

I only mentioned the minnesota because of the fact he is from lakeville and that would be close for him.

Brad

wow...you cat guys are just like us walleye guys...he he! i love it!

i know i would need to go to the Mississippi, Minnesota or Croix to get the bigger cats, but i do not have the gear for that. maybe someday...until then if i can some consistent cat action on a lake which has TONS of smaller ones...i'm happy.

honestly looking forward to Sept jigging with shiners for 'eyes!

my 13 yr old taught me how to use photobucket...now i feel dumb! he he!

Here's a 24" 5.5lb very splotchy channel cat from Byllesby. The rest of the pics are ones of the smaller eaters and we've all seen those pics before...enjoy!

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb443/jkhoward_7/Byllesby_24inchannel_0711-1.jpg?t=1311781633

yeah it was pretty funky!

i got out again this morning and caught 16 from 15" to 26"...all of which are back in the lake. the 26"er weighed 7.5lbs...way too much fun. after i ran out of bait i trolled the north shore line with a little Hornet and a 9" crappie just hammered it. got a small hammer handle as well - fun day!

ha it was more of a joke because it was goofy looking

yea I know but I have to agree that is one different coloration pattern or is some type of parasite similar to the blackspot on panfish.

glasseyeangler,

why don't you email that picture of the wierd catfish to one of the DNR fisheries biologist so they can ID it and see if it is a consern to be watched. I am not sure which office over sees this area but I would start with the waterville office since I believe that one is the closest to byllesby. Scott M is the assistant supervisor and is a nice guy. I have emailed him a time or two and he knows his stuff.

Every year on the Sauk Chain i would catch a one or two of them. I just figured it was some form of pigment abnormality. Never noticed that it rubbed off, hmnn....will have to pay better attention if coming across another one.

Nick did you ever figure out what that black stuff is?

No I didn't but I've noticed it on more and more fish, even some of my creek chubs have it. It is some kind of fungus because they start to die off pretty quick.

I asked someone from the DNR and they just said it was crud. that is it.

yea I know but I have to agree that is one different coloration pattern or is some type of parasite similar to the blackspot on panfish.

It is some type of fungus or disease. It is almost like an oil you can rub it off.. Either way cant be good to have in our lakes. only a matter of time before all fish are hit with it.

I forwarded a copy of the picture to two of the state dnr fisheries biologist I have been talking with lately. I asked them to post here with their opinion on what this is. hopefully they can ID it and it is something that is not bad. we will have to wait and see if they reply.