• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Nothing quite so lovely as a wild orchid

As some of you know, I'm on a long quest to photograph every wild orchid species in Minnesota. As of today, with the addition of the striped coralroot and small round-leaved orchid, I am about half way to the 40 or so orchid species in the state.

As luck would have it, I've already got four of the rarest orchids in the state, but there are many still to go, some of which grow only in more southern Minnesota climes, and some that are rare.

I had to include a couple old friends in today's work, too, the calypso orchid and yellow ladyslipper.

The round-leaved orchid, as you can see, still has plenty of days of prime bloom left as the blossoms open their way up the flower stalk. Yellows will be prime for another week or more. The striped coralroot also has a fair amount of prime time left. The calypsos, on the other hand, are almost all past prime. The ones photographed here were only a handful out of the 200 we saw today that were still nice enough to photograph. The rest were a desicated brown.

These were all captured near Bemidji today.

Small round-leaves orchids

upandleft.jpg

flyingsolo.jpg

insetting.jpg

Striped coralroot

tight.jpg

medium.jpg

loosevert.jpg

Calypso orchid

pairprofile.jpg

reachingpair.jpg

headontight.jpg

Small yellow ladyslipper

threehorizenviro.jpg

Thanks guys. I very much enjoy wildflower photography in general, but those orchids, even the ones with tiny green unobtrusive flowers, are the coolest! smile

Please excuse me if these appear too dark or saturated on your monitors. I prepped them on my traveling laptop, and no matter how I calibrate it, online photos appear just a bit pale and washed out, so I tend to darken them and saturate them a bit too much when using that laptop.

Very nice Steve. I'm impressed. Where could I find some good pics of the orchids that are found in Southern Minnesota. I know some spots where there use to be some ladyslippers but, unfortunately, I think someone tried to transplant them. frownfrown

I saw lots of little pink flowers in the bog a few weeks ago and got curious now. After looking at wild flowers online, I think they were Polygala paucifolia (Gaywings). Not sure if they are of any interest to you or not. I am guessing they are pretty common?