• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Spring Walleyes?

bigeyes75

I have been fishing several different lakes on fishing opener. My question is, what lake does everyone think would be a good opener lake for nice walleyes? I try to go to a different lake every year and I just can't seem to come up with a good lake this year. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did not know where else to post this.

What would be a good lake for me would be determined by what kind of a Spring we were having. If it was a late Spring with cool temps I would go more for a shallow lake in the southern half of the state. In general I would look for a lake that is farther post spawn and has warmer water and friskier fish. If it was an early Spring with warm temps I might go more for a northern MN lake with deeper cooler water. It all depends on the weather.

mm

I haven't really fished any southerns lakes. Don't really know what is down south. I am use to going up North. I am just getting tired of the same old lakes. I would like to try new things. I might consider doing a Lake Pepin trip. It's not to far from me. Just thought I would see if anyones got good suggestions. Also, the sportsmen show is starting and I cannot wait to get out.

Both "ponds" would be good, but I like your Pepin idea!

Trolling with cranks and pitching plastics shallow in the spring can cough up some real nice fish. You can fish the Dam(s), but they will be heavily fished and crowded!

Heck on some days you could almost, shore fish then hop on someone's boat continuing all the way across, boat hopping!!!LOL

Jim W

I have been on both of the ponds before. I Don't know were to go. I am thinking about Miltona but, I don't know how good that lake has been in the past couple of years. Fished it when I was younger and it was good. Have been there in years. How about Mills lacs? Were is a good place to stay for a group of guys? And, do you think it is booked already? I haven't stayed up at mills lacs before. I usually go up for the day and then come home. My mom has a friend who has lake propery up there so, I have stayed there. But, I will need a place for about 4-8 guys.

Check the Resort page on this site. You should be able to find openings at most resorts on Mille Lacs. Last opening night we did very well on crankbaits trolling the shoreline. But things could be different this year or it may be good again. Spring weather can be tough.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

Big Stone, Traverse, Lac Qui Parle, Benton, Emily, etc. There are all sorts of shallow southern/western MN lakes that can be pretty good and the time to hit them is around the opener. They aren't choked off by weeds yet and they tend to be a lot warmer than the lakes up north. So the fish are usually putting on the pre-summer feed bag on these lakes when a lot of other lakes are in post-spawn.... I don't know about accomodations, however, I stay with relatives when I'm out that way. Good Luck.

mm

Mistermom is talking my neck of the woods. I would say Bigstone is the best it will be open two weeks before minnesotas opener so you can get some good reports on where the fish are biting. Or come and do somefishing of your own. I will be there on the opener Apr 26 and will try to give some reports right here on FM. I have done really well every year 30 degrees or 70.

If you decide on going and would like some hot spots on big stone ask in the sw minnesota forum. I usually check it everyday I can give you the info.

were abouts is Bigstone? I haven't heard of it. How far is it from the twin cities? This sounds like a good lake. How big is it? What is the Max Depth? What county is in it because, I could look it up on the DNR lakefinder. I could use some hot spots if I decide to go. Even if I don't I might make a trip overthere on another weekend. Is there any places to stay i.e. resorts and/or campsites?

Big Stone is on the MN/SD border it is in Big Stone county and Ortonville is on the south end of the lake. There is a state park on the north end of the lake, Big Stone State Park. I think max depth of the lake is pretty shallow, around 15'.

mm

Here it goes probably no secret to the ones who fish here. Just want to let you know these were confirmed by top ten walleye fishing pro. Not me ofcoarse I helped Ted Takaski he liked fishing these spots.
You will have to get a fishing map!!!
The southside of Knight island but north of skeleton the whole bottom is filled with rocks good spawning area catch alot of males with the occational hog female.
Off the east side of Pancake island nice rocks with a steep drop into 15 feet the deepest part.
These two spots fish on cloudy days or early and late in the day. I have had the best luck fishing after dark(less crowds) with lighted slipbobbers anywhere over the rocks the kids even fish with me. Every year between the Bigstone opener an MNs I have done very well 20-30 in a couple hours remember your over spawning grounds so let the hogs go back and there is a 14 inch min size.
If you fish this lake do it early, there is alot of fish later but they are spread out more.

Dont think I am boasting just want to let you know whats out there.

Last year caught 18 walleyes on opener
Two years ago caught a 32" with spawn still in her what a hog fish of life time got 7 others in the 20+ all went back to spawn
Three years ago really windy and rainy sat on shore by public access by state park and caught 42 of them between 4am and 8am

It is an awesome fishery!!!!

Hi All,
In my 45 years of fishing opening day in Minnesota, and believe me, I have tried them all.
The best opening day lake I have "EVER" fished, is Lake Vermilion. smile.gif

Check the DNR HSOforum for the latest on the test nets on the Big V, there are MILLIONS of walleyes just waiting to be
caught. smile.gif

There are lots of good campgrounds and
resorts all over the lake, or you can camp on one of the islands for free.
It is also the most beautiful lake in Minnesota....I promiss you'll love it.

------------------

Ace guide service.
Beautiful Lake Vermilion.
aceguideservice.com
[email protected]

Another plus for fishing the border waters like Big Stone is that they open a couple weeks before the inland waters and are packed until the general opener with minnesota fisherman. I've fished it a lot the weekend before the general opener and have done very well. I also have made the trip they for the MN opener and found very little pressure and it's much easier to get on the spots you want. The fishing also just seems to get better as the water warms. Early in the season I start on the north end and move south as the water warms.

Good Luck!

I think for opener It's hard beating dam's at Midnight where they are really stacked up. Last year I caught 3 22" 28" and a 32" before 6 am. Got every one a blue husky jerk going very slowww. I fish up north around Bemidji and It just seems the water is to cool to do really well on the lakes. Dam's are the ticket.

Sheephead King,
I agree with ya. The Bemidji area espically the last few years has been a slow starter. Walleyes are cought by the rivers like crazy, but the lake itself usually picks up a week or two after opener. Then it's pick a lake and hammer 'em. depending on the weather of course.

------------------
Reel Adventures Guide Service
Bemidji Area
http://fishingminnesota.com/reeladventures/
Phone: Call 218-751-1800
E-mail: [email protected]