• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Opinions Please - Which 90hp Engine?

BobT

My boat is powered by a 1998 Johnson 90hp 2-stroke. I really like that engine. It has been a great performer for me with zero maintenance issues. It always starts good and runs good.

I've been considering upgrading to a newer motor but I'm having a hard time deciding which motor to upgrade to. I've narrowed my preferences down to two motors but I'm still open to suggestion.

Evinrude E-tech 90hp. From what I've read it sounds like the E-tech is every bit as good as any four stroke in terms of fuel economy, noise, and emissions. It also has the advantage over 4-strokes in weight and 2-stoke performance. It does sound like the earlier versions of this motor had some issues to be worked out but I haven't been able to find any recent reports about their reliability to know if these have been resolved. Have they worked out the bugs and is this motor a reliable choice? Anyone own one that could share their opinion about it?

Yamaha 90hp 4-stroke. Most of my fishing buddies have been using Yamaha 4-stroke for years and I can't find fault in any of them. They have all been great performers. One boat dealer I talked to indicated that 2-strokes are struggling to meet emission standards. In fact, he said that the E-tech is about the only new 2-stoke still available and he expects that as emission standards continue to change it won't be long before the E-tech will fall by the wayside as well. Of course, he doesn't sell Evinrude so I'm not sure about how valid his claims really are. I thought Mercury also still offers 2-strokes.

What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Only my opinion here... The 4 strokes in that hp class are nice and quiet and fuel efficient for sure. But please do test drive them, ideally on a hull like yours. I was surprise, shocked almost, when I did. Very different than a 4 stroke in that hp range.

Merc makes Optimax and there is the E-tec, and I believe that they both offer similar fuel usage AND emiisions to 4 strokes, but you still need the rather expensive oil, though I don' think they use that much of it, not like 2 strokes of old. They are quieter than older 2 strokes, but not really as quiet as 4 strokes, and that is something that would be nice.

Neighbors have a 115 Merc 4 stroke and it very nice and quiet. All the other brands 4 stroke are nice motors too. My personal take, I would put any size 4 stroke on a pontoon; I would do Optimax or E-tec in the mid hp class, and for high hp would do any of them, with a nod to Verado (if I could afford it) or Optimax simply for performance and that fact I am a Merc fan wink

All your choices are good though, I think. Really comes to how much quiet you want (4 stroke), or how much umph you want (dfi). Good luck, and these are only my opinions, and not worth much, haha!

I have had Merc 4 strokes for the last 8 years and not one issue. They are great on gas and you hardly hear them even at moderate speeds. Any choice you make with todays motors will not be a bad one. Just decide what features are the most important to how you use the boat.

Again, doubt you can go wrong with any choice these days.

Mike

Bob, need more info on what boat transom you are going to hang this baby on. Also I'm assuming it's only to be used for fishing, no slalom skiing or wakeboarding?

I looked at 75 Hp models (I wanted to hit the 75 max) 2 years ago and had similar choices. Here was my take on all of them and why I selected my top 2 choices the same as yours. Most of the 75's are identical block to the 90's so it may help you out a little bit.

6) Optimax 75 - GREAT low endoommph, but still as heavy as the Yamaha, not quite as quiet as Etec or 4s

5) Suzuki 70 - Slightly lower displacement and 5 horse lower. I like the rep these motors have, but don't have any dealers close by

4) Honda 75 - Slightly lower displacement, great rep, service available, but more $$$

3) Merc 75 4S - I like how stout the internals are (same block as I4 Verado minues the supercharger), but that also makes it 30 lbs heavier. This motor is really big, but does seem to put out more actual power vs Yammy. Was the cheapest option I seriously considered.

2) Etec 75 - Like the lower weight, not crazy about it being a 3 cylinder though it seemed to be pretty smooth. Like the expected low end oomph for pulling a slalom skiier out of the water (something my Yammy struggles a bit with). Like the low noise and like the rep. Oil is a little expensive, but no changes required, and no break in either. Tough call

1) Yammy 75 - Got great price, has excellent reliability history, very quiet and and very refined DOHC. Ability to interface engine info through Lowrance network. I'm even planning on mounting a remote switched VTS (variable trolling system) in a year after warranty runs out. Boat hops on plane right away, again only issue is popping up a slalom skiier, but 2 plankers and tubes no problem. Oil changes are fairly easy, but can be a little messy.

I respect Evinrude for putting out a quality 2-stroke motor these days, but find it hard to buy into the hype that they are roughly equivalent with 4-strokes. I think of it this way: what would make you want to buy a 2-stroke and are those your core needs in a motor?

Yamaha makes great motors these days. As you stated the question I would go with their 90hp 4-stroke in a heart beat. However, the Merc and Suzuki motors are just as good. I'm running 2008 Suzuki 90hp on my 165Navigator and it's got plenty of power and is quiet. One thing worth investigating is how much you can dial them down at trolling speed. If you don't have a kicker motor, this could be important. My motor goes about 2.5mph at the slowest on flat water.

I've got a 90 E-tec (2006) on an Alumacraft Dominator 165CS. This particular boat's max hp is 90. "Overall" I'd say I'm very pleased with the Evinrude. It's lightweight and seems to have lots of power for its size. It's quiet, uses very little oil, and sips the fuel.

Early on, I had some problems with sensors (particularly in cold weather) which would self-limit the RPM's on the engine. Ruined a couple fishing outings, and had to bring into dealerships. They supposedly got this fixed and updated software, etc. But I always have the nagging thought of "when is it going to happen again." I've asked other E-tec 90 owners about their experiences and every one of them says theirs has been flawless...maybe mine is the exception to the rule.

If I were to do it over again, I would give serious consideration to the Yamaha 90 4-stroke.

I would think the idle rpm and prop pitch, together with size of boat, would be determiner. And outboards all idle at about the same rpm. Bigger motor has bigger pitch but more slip due to larger boat. So idle speed won't vary much.