• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lyme and Frontline

Jmnhunter

1.)How effective is the annual lymes disease vaccination that we give our dogs? I have used frontline plus, but towards the end of the 30 day 1st dose timeline, I found 1 tick that was on him for awhile and another a day after I put on his 2nd dose, just paranoid. The vet tells me that frontline should be done every 30 days but obvisouly it wears off faster than suggested;

2.)do you guys up the dosage every 3.5 weeks or 3 weeks?

Great question as I am wondering the same thing. I just put frontline on him yesterday but was told that since he is a pup I will need to wait for him to get the shot for lyme. Can't remember how long the wait is but it isn't to much longer.

Sorry I did not have an answer for you but just wanted to add me into the same question. Thanks

I wonder if it has to do with the length of the fur. I have short hairs and have never found a tick on my dogs using regular Frontline, not the plus, once a month.

I agree with Kyhl...I have a shorthair also, been using frontline plus for 3 years, once every month and have not had any issues. I would think that its a little harder to treat labs, retrievers, etc. for the full 30 days. might have something to do with how much youre bathing the dog or how much they swim maybe too??

I do every 30 with my goldens. It seems to work great. It does get weeker toward the end of the 30. I have found a few ticks embedded over the years. But usually at the end of the month. I have found many more dead ticks though. and a few embedded and dead. I am not sure I would do more often. Deffintily need to do both frontline and lymes vaccine though.

If you have cats in the house, Frontline is safe for cats but there is one other main brand that is not - I don't know if that is Vectra or not. One of them can be dangerous to cats during the first 24 hour period if your cat rubs up on your dog. My wifes cats are OK as cats go so I went with the frontline.

I live in the country, and we have a gazillion ticks here. I put frontline on every three to three and a half because if I dont the dogs get too many imbedded in them. I have a lab and border collie. They do swim quite a bit so maybe that has something to do with it.

If you're in a very tick prone area, Frontline probably isn't your best bet. Frontline requires the tick to attach or bite in order to kill them. Repellant such as K9 Advantix II or Vectra 3D actually repel the ticks from the get go and if the tick does make it through that barrier, they're killed.

If you have cats in the house, Frontline is safe for cats but there is one other main brand that is not - I don't know if that is Vectra or not. One of them can be dangerous to cats during the first 24 hour period if your cat rubs up on your dog. My wifes cats are OK as cats go so I went with the frontline.

I use K9 Advantix, which is not safe for cats.