• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

COD MW3 Discussion

CJH

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 -- Is It Coming This Year?

sjohnson

Posted 9 minutes ago - By Stephen Johnson

Call of Duty Downloadable Content: A History

Activision, I am disappointed! I just finished listening to Activision's first-quarter financial call and the company did not announced a release date for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3. Instead, Activision head Bobby Kotick said the next Call of Duty initiative will be announced in "weeks" and will be accompanied by the biggest marketing campaign in the company's history. It will also be integrated with Project Beachhead, Activision's slightly mysterious digital content platform for Call of Duty.

Modern Warfare 3: Is It Coming This Year?I've also seen the huge "3" that is apparently featured in the next issue of UK's Official PlayStation Magazine (that's it, to the right), and read the rumors of a November 8 release date too. Putting all this together, I'm ready to make some predictions.

Prediction 1: Modern Warfare 3 will be released in November for the 360, PS3 and PC. November 8, to be precise. I'm not going far out on a limb here: That's the second Tuesday in the month, and analogous to the release date of past Modern Warfare games. Every fall since 2003, a Call of Duty game has been released and it seems to be working out okay for Activision. Lately, Activision has been alternating between releasing a "numbered" game and a non-numbered game, this would be the year for a numbered game.

Prediction 2: This release date information will be confirmed at E3 this year, between June 7 and 9. Kotick's statement about revealing more details in weeks leads me to believe this. It's not too out-there to speculate that Activision would make an announcement at the largest gaming show of the year.

Prediction 3: You will have to pay for some aspects of multiplayer in Modern Warfare 3. According to Activision, Project Beachhead will be integrated into the next CoD game, which is presumed to be Modern Warfare 3. In the past, Activision has said that Project Beachhead will provide "premium, value added" content that is exclusive. According to industry analyst Michael Pachter and I, this means you'll be paying a fee to play Modern Warfare 3. How much you'll pay, and what you'll get for your subscription remains to be seen, but if I had to guess, I'd say some small fee (like $5 a month) will give you a lot of content -- maps, weapons, customization options and more. This will make it seem like a bargain and people will be happy to pay for it.

So what do you think of my predictions? Got any of your own?

Read more: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/71.../#ixzz1LtkZBehg

• Replies 525
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm ready for a new Call of Duty, but I have my reservations about this new Project Beachead deal. Only time will tell, but I have a feeling people not willing to pay the extra $5 a month are going to get shafted. I'm just praying that they release plenty of content and that they fix the lag issues that have plagued console shooters.

There's no official word from Activision yet, but according to the Kotaku story the next Call of Duty game will be called Modern Warfare 3 and jointly developed by Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer Games and Raven Software. The release date will be November 8, 2011.

The single-player story will start directly after the events of Modern Warfare 2. The villain Vladimir Makarov and heroes "Soap" MacTavish and John Price return in 15 stages set across the world, including New York City, Dubai and Paris.

The Spec Ops co-operative mode from Modern Warfare 2 will return, as well as survival maps that sound similar to Gears of War's horde mode or Call of Duty: World at War's zombie mode. The competitive multiplayer mode will feature around 20 maps.

According to Infinity Ward there will be no "pay to play" multiplayer.

That's good news! I thought I read a rumor that they may have some type of expanded play/options that will cost via "Project Beachhead", but who knows at this point.

You can already preorder it at Gamestop. Just got the email asking me to come in and put some money down on it. If you're a "Power Up" rewards member, you get a free poster. I think I'll wait to see what other pre-order offers they come out with.

You can now sign up to be a Beta tester

Sounds like they learned from the mistakes they made with their last release. There were far to many exploits and initial problems with the MW2 release.

No, what dtro is referring to is signing up to be a beta tester for the Elite service, which runs alongside of COD games starting with BLOPS.

See the video I just posted for info.

Ok, that vid was awesome! Its cool n all they are trying to do some cool interactive stuff with the games n all BUT...perhaps they should focus more on actual game play issues than putting a bunch of bellz n whistles on a dookie?

funny video:

">

Ok, that vid was awesome! Its cool n all they are trying to do some cool interactive stuff with the games n all BUT...perhaps they should focus more on actual game play issues than putting a bunch of bellz n whistles on a dookie?

I hear ya cluckin big chicken, and I had the same thoughts as well, but I'm hoping that since this is a service alongside of the COD games that it won't affect the gameplay....hoping.

After all the open NAT this, and router that chinese firedrill time waster was going on after BFlops was released, I think it became obvious that it had nothing to do with people's internet connections but moreso the poor game development by Treyarch. Windshield wiper guns and out of sync players was the problem, not internet speed.

Player's internet speed didn't just fall off the face of the earth on that wide of scale between MW2 and BFlops...just doesn't happen. It was just poor execution on Treyarch's part and they never fixed it, but rather decided to nerf various guns because they were allegedly out of balance with other guns which was complete hogwash and only a cover to the actual problem.

Why did people shift to AK-74u's and other guns with a rapid fire rate? Because you had to pump a clip of rounds into a guy to get a kill and other guns, although more powerful, weren't as effective because of slow fire rates. Half of the time you were a step behind and were getting fired on before you could fire, so your only chance was to spray and pray with a gun that had a higher rate of fire than the other guy. People that figured this out were then later penalized because those who didn't whined that some guns weren't balanced and didn't adjust their load-outs to compensate for Treyarch's poor game design. They were putting band-aids on gunshot wounds.

Treyarch brought some good stuff to the franchise such as Theater Mode and opening up the way weapons and perks are purchased, but seemed to concentrate more on the bells and whistles over the meat and potatoes of the game. BFlops could have been the best game ever to date but they failed, IMO.

People used/use the AK-74u because it has beastly stats to start with and add rapid fire and grip and it will overpower any gun in the game short to medium range.

Every COD game has had one Sub machine gun that just beats the pants of other guns and way over used. MW had the MP5, W@W had the MP40, MW2 had the UMP45 and BO has the AK74u

They have released a patch to nerf some guns on every call of duty game to date. It will probably happen on the next one too.

People used/use the AK-74u because it has beastly stats to start with and add rapid fire and grip and it will overpower any gun in the game short to medium range.

Why did it have beastly stats to start with? Because it worked well in an environment where the hit detection was a joke and you needed to empty clips on a guy to put them down.

I RARELY used sub-machine guns in previous COD's and held my own with your typical machine guns, but once it was obvious that those guns weren't going to work in a broken game such as BFlops I had to adapt, as did others. At that point those who didn't change their style got frustrated and complained that they were getting killed by the 74u more than other weapons, when it was really because it was one of the only guns that helped nullify the lag and lack of accurate hit detection. Using a long gun was almost like bringing a knife to a gun fight when the lag was really bad.