• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

buying a new boat question

Powder

It has been a quite a few years since I bought my boat new. They all seemed to be right around the same price and did not move to far even when I told them what I could buy it for from a dealer that was out of town. I ended up buying from the guy out of town and was able to work out some deals while I was picking it up. I got him to take two of my pedestals that were fixed and swap for air rides and he took off the price for the fixed making it pretty cheap. If there was a downside I would have to say that he was able to lower the price by throwing in a trailer that was smaller than what the boat really should have had in the first place.

It seems as though most dealers are cutting it pretty close. The Lund I bought a couple of years ago from a local dealer was a sports show package but cutting and pasting features made it all come out at around the same price anyway. But a good dealer is worth something too. In the end, they came down a little but they threw in some free stuff like an extra seat up front for the grandkid which meant putting in a new socket for the pedestal, first service, one year of winterizing and storage. But consider the dealer. I recently bought a new fish finder. They rigged it for free and fixed a couple of annoying things like broken snaps and wires free.Good dealers are worth a lot.

They didn't come down with the price with ours, or I forget if we even tried... But we got a good deal on the motor. We were set on getting a Honda motor..

We did a write up of the sale with the 135 HP Honda at $13k.. Then the general manager comes by and says he would be able to get us a last year model Suzuki 175 for $10k..

I don't know if that was a sales pitch, but +35hp and 3 grand less, plus matching black on black, we were sold!

You're better off negotiating for throwing in extras like trolling motor, depth finder, batteries, ski tow package and so on. Also, try to upgrade if some of those things are included. Research some boats in question cause some boats come with trolling motors and depth finders but the dealer won't list them but will throw them in for free to make it look like you've got a great deal.

The boat I bought new 4 years ago I paid list price but got 2 batteries and upgraded, ski/tow package, trolling motor , depth finder and upgraded, and full boating package including life jackets, extiguisher, ropes and so on. Also got a few other perks that were included but those were pre-set in an add already.

Good luck and search all over.

you might try new non current

bring it up if they dont

i bought a non current and saved alot of money plus

a few bells and whistles

it never hurts to shoot a low price see where they go

certainly try a few dealers

and like some one said a good dealer is worth alot

mines wasnt to good i have since found a good mehcanic

Buying non-current models is a good idea and make sure to take advantage of all the rebates. Most importantly, IMHO, is making sure your're comparing apples to apples. If your shopping for the same boat model, make sure you're comparing the same motors, trailer weight (brakes), electronics, trolling motors, batteries, etc. Some dealers will package a boat underpowered and/or too light of trailer for a low point-of-purchase price.

If you're shopping for a type of boat, make sure you're comparing truly similar models and lengths (along with motors, etc). If you have any questions on model comparisons, check the manufacturer's HSOforum for specs and also ask here at FM, too)

Have fun and good luck!

Certainly you can get them to lower prices, but it's not that easy. I thought it was going to be more like car buying, where it's relatively easy to get 20-25% off of MSRP (talking domestic truck here).

I worked with 3 different dealers with 2 different boat brands. Always compare the identical set of options. I couldn't get the Lund guys to compete at all with each other. When I started to compare another brand versus their Lund, I finally got them to come down closer to where I wanted. Then when I accepted their final offer I asked them to throw in some little things if I agreed to that price (installed trim/tilt gage, extra sporttrack brackets, fire extinguisher, etc). Easy way to save $150-200 at the end.

Different brands and models will have different margins. I think the boat I bought had lower margins, so there wasn't a ton of money to give up.

they sell way to many of those lunds they really dont need to

haggle

I'm a glass type of guy so I wouldnt consider lund any way

(ya i know they glass now or put their name on a glass boat any way)

but alumscraft and crestliner both make good boats

just be sure to get what... YOU WANT.. dont let any one talk you into someting you dont feel good about

boats are fun and most of the time along time purchase

so take your time and BE HAPPY!!!!!

I bought my last rig in '09. I called five different dealers that sold the boat I wanted. I got prices that differed by 10K from cheapest to most expensive.

All five dealers claimed that they were the largest dealer of brand X, and sold more boats than any other dealer of that brand. All five dealers also claimed to be 'Dealer of the Year' for that brand. I ended up buying my boat from the dealer that I found out was actually dealer of the year for brand X. He was the cheapest, and he went above and beyond before and after the sale. With the price he quoted me, and after hearing the other's price, I din't haggle one dollar.

Just be sure to get what... YOU WANT.. dont let any one talk you into something you dont feel good about.

I agree with Gregg 100% Get what you want. If you don't you will second guess, what if or I should have got that. You know what your budget is and get something that fits your budget or wait till you can get what you want. If its not new then look as a good used one that has the features you want at the price thats right for you.

Mike

Nothing wrong with throwing a figure out and see if they take it. Do it in a way that shows you are serious, but not ready to commit. Another way to save some money is to not be rigid on the model or even the brand. Sometimes a dealer can provide you a big discount on a similar boat that has been sitting on the lot for awhile. Throw-ins are a good way to maximize your savings. Also, make sure you get all the incentives that are being offered for the boat you are buying. Don't expect the dealer to tell you about them either. Some dealers are very happy to put the covers, trolling motors, locaters, etc. on the shelf and sell them to someone else later. Go to the brand HSOforum to find out about the incentives you may be due. Finally ask for a trailer upgrade after you receive the final price. I've done it successfully for all the boats I have purchased.

Good point on the incentives. Another thing, most manufacturers have 'spring time' incentives. When I bought my boat in March, I received a bunch of goodies, including a two year extended warranty on my motor, an allowance from the manufacturer for free hats, shirts, jackets, ect., a free custom cover, and a $200 gas card.

Another good point about buying a boat that the dealership has on the floor. Most are paying taxes at the end of the month on floor models, and have more incentive to move them. They'll gladly order you a boat, but can wheel and deal much more on floor models.

You could also call around and look for any hold over boats. Boats that are a year or two old, but still new in every aspect. Last year, my buddy got a left over '08 model that is a 50K all day long. He paid 36K for it.

As my grandma used to say, the worst that anyone can say is "no." If they laugh in your face when you make an offer, walk out. They won't do that to a customer though.

The best deals that I've ever gotten in life were because I made semi-ridiculous offers that were accepted. You never know until you ask. The last thing that a salesman wants to see is a wallet walking out the door.

i bought my chrestliner 1850 a few years ago. it was at a boat show they had downtown. the price for the boat and trailer was on sale and in the price range i was comfortable with. i did get the electric motor upgraded and the depth finder upgraded and a extra pedastal boat seat for "free". one thing i wish i would have gotten at the time was an on board charger. good luck.