• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Product Spotlight

I'd like to start a post where everyone can add helpful products in the archery/bowhunting field that make life easier or just plain work. Feel free to post often as you like. I think we can put together a pretty useful thread.

I spend quite a bit of time in the field every year, especially late-season in the snow. As often as I wipe my bow down, I always have problems with bolts rusting after a few years. I picked this up at the ATA show a few years ago. I finally put it to use last week after one of my turkey hunts and was extremely pleased with it.

It's the Ecosafe Oil Pen from Limbsaver. With the needle applicator, you can easily get in around the axles and cover any bolt heads with ease. Prevents rust and keeps everything lubed up and clean. I worked over the entrie bow & components and hardly used any. It'll last a long time. Great product!

Limbsaver Oil Pen

300px_8004.jpg

Cool! I like the look of that little gizmo. Just curious, is the lubricant used in the pen scent free?

I've got a bunch of these I can post- I'll try get a few up when I have more time.

I gave up going scent free last year but you knew it was coming.

For the record, I don't believe in scent free products at all. I do believe in common sense though and common sense tells me that stinky lubricants being dumped on a bow is a bad idea...

Windicator. Cheap and easy to use. Has saved my backside a number of times. Also, it serves as a great learning tool for my young son to better understand how the wind works and how important it is in bowhunting.

Below is a pic of one brand, but brand doesn't matter- get the cheapest one you can find (and they're usually pretty inexpensive).

!B5pg7Lw!2k~$(KGrHqF,!g0EyrqJQG)nBMufY58

Merino wool socks. These things are amazing- they help prevent blisters, they're awesome for warm or cold conditions (don't let the wool name fool you- they excel in early season and late season and come in light and heavy models for each condition), and simply can't be beat. For a sock, they're spendy, but totally worth it in my opinion. This is a great suggestion for anyone who likes to spend time outdoors, no matter what you like to do.

80cd15cf524ac4372e811b9acf1da298.image.6

Windicator. Cheap and easy to use. Has saved my backside a number of times. Also, it serves as a great learning tool for my young son to better understand how the wind works and how important it is in bowhunting.

Below is a pic of one brand, but brand doesn't matter- get the cheapest one you can find (and they're usually pretty inexpensive).

Good tip, to take things a step further I like to use milkweed pods. Not only do they tell you wind direction but you can watch them 50 yo 75 yards away and really get a feel for what the wind and your scent is doing. Sometimes land features, thermals, or swirling winds will do crazy things and these little pods can really open your eyes.

Now the best part, they are free, just grab a pod or two before season and open them up and dry the seeds out in a paper bag and you are set for a season or 3. Once they are dry I usually stuff them in an old film container.

milkweed-seedpods-full.jpg

milkweed_1.jpg

Quote:
Merino wool socks.

Great tip. I don't own any Merino but have 3 different weights of the smartwool socks. Hard to justify $15-20 on a pair of socks but they become priceless in a hurry if you do any amount of walking. They're on my Christmas list every year!

Cool tip on the milkweed pods Bear - might have to give that a try this fall!

I forgot to mention to pull the seeds off when you open the pod, they would just weigh down the white fluff that walks on air. It's really fun to watch the thermals at work some times. It can be dead calm and those thermals will pull the milkweeds almost strait up or down if you are on a hill. Of course when you mix in thermals and a little wind things can get really tricky. I think some of these odd thermals and wind current can explain why a deer can seem to bust you out of nowhere or not smell you at all even though they appear to be strait downwind of you.

Yep, that milkweed tip is a good one. I keep trying to remember to do that each year, but never seem to...

The key ingredient in Smartwool socks is merino wool! It's what makes them work so well. However, no need to get the really expensive ones- any brand will work and if you shop around you can get them for 1/2 to 1/3 the price of the Smartwool brand.