• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scary

FM_Mike

It's time to mount the Lowrance transducer on my new boat. I did not have the best of luck on the old boat but finally got it right. Now this time I would like to ONLY drill 2 holes for mounting the transducer. Those of you that have done this more than once or succeeded on the first try I would appreciate any tips you might have to help in the process. I know I could put on a transducer board but would like to just mount the ducer and be done.

Again if you have a trick or tricks let me know.

Thanks, Mike

I like the board for the fact if you screw up mounting the ducer you can start over with no harm done. Down the road you may want to add some electronics or a speed/temp unit. Just screw it on the board and your done. I have one on each side to separate ducers to help with interference. Just get alot of silicone behind the board if you go that route. Ive had 4 boats and never drilled without a board. Its your boat, do as you wish.

+1 on the board. I even used one on my pontoon, as it did not have a x-ducer bracket. So far no sinky in 5 years, and I swapped at least 4 x-ducers on it (pontoon gets the hand-me-downs from the main boat).

Go buy one of those white plastic cutting boards at FF for about $10. Cut it in half and mount the ducer on it. Once you've screwed it up take it apart and throw it away. Then do it correctly on the second half. Mount that onto your boat. Then when you buy a new sonar/gps rig in 2 years you can just drill new holes in the cutting board and not worry about screwing things up on the boat.

Don't put it too low. I.e. you don't want the board even or lower than the bottom of hull, or it will throw a roster tail smile Remember, the x-ducer will be adustable up and down, so you have plenty to play with on the board. Also watch so you don't mount x-duxer in line with a row of rivets, if you have alum hull. You want it in clean water. Sorry if you already knew that.

I put a dab of silicone on screws for board and for x-ducer, and I also put a bead a small bead of silicone around the board itself. Just seems to help s-u c-k it to the transome better. Good luck!

Something like this is what I was thinking of. Or maybe a little longer.

full-1100-7266-board.jpg

Looks like a guy could maybe get a c clamp on there.

that is a oversized board. I think the ones others where talking about are smaller (something like 4" X 15"). I put a small one on my new boat.

I figured the whole point was to get the screw holes well above the waterline. If it is 15" long that should get the top high enough for a clamp. It just has to get a few inches above the splash well, I would think.

In the long run screws are the answer.

I figured the whole point was to get the screw holes well above the waterline. If it is 15" long that should get the top high enough for a clamp. It just has to get a few inches above the splash well, I would think.

In the long run screws are the answer.

this is what I was talking about for the small board. full-29971-7325-100_3097.jpg

full-29971-7326-100_3098.jpg

this is the one on my boat