• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A couple (maybe dumb) questions on rigging a boat

Jarrod32

My last couple boats have been small tillers, and the motors have not had electric start, so I just had to have a single deep-cycle battery in the back for a transom-mount trolling motor and a few electronics. But I am getting a new boat this spring...also a tiller, but with electric start/trim on the motor. So I will need a marine starting/cranking battery for that. I also will have a bow-mount trolling motor, so I will have a second (and possibly third) deep-cycle battery for that.

My first (dumb) question is...do you run your electronics (depth finder, livewell/bilge pumps) off of the starting/cranking battery or should you run them off the deep cycle?

My next question involves trolling motors. I expect to have a 16-foot aluminum tiller, and I will have a bow mount I-Pilot trolling motor. It would be nice to keep it to a 12-volt system (a 55 pound motor) and a single battery, but I will go to the 24-volt system and a 70 pound trolling motor if I need to. If I’m spending the money for the I-pilot (and I am), I want to be sure it has enough power to do what it is supposed to do.

So my question here is: Is a 55 pound motor enough for the 16-foot boat (and keep it to a 12-volt system), or do I need to go to a 70 pound trolling motor (and second deep-cycle battery)?

Also, will the 55-pound motor run down the charge on a single battery faster than a 70 pound/2 battery system?

All boat switches, pumps, guages, radios etc. should run off the starting battery. The deep cycle should run only the trolling motor. Most 16 foot boats are running the 12 volt trolling motor set up. The 24 volt 70# thrust motor will run a little longer than a 12 volt 55# unit in my experience.

What boat and how big of a tiller motor? If you have a 90hp tiller and heavier boat is different than a basic bare bones 16' with 25hp motor. But I bet a 55# 12v would be perfect. Get an onboard charger too, and hook to both batteries. You can always go bigger battery if you need a bit more running time.

FWIW, we originally had a 48# 24v motor on our 18' boat (150hp), and it worked pretty good, but not great. So I think 55# will pull your boat around fine. We now have 74# 24v, and hopefully an 80# ipilot in a year or two. Good luck.

I have a 1625 Lund Rebel with a 50 Horse Merc. That battery runs everything including both graphs. The deep cycle only runs my 55 thrust motor guide. It does good, but after an all day outing it can be dead (especially on a windy day)... On bored charger is something I need to invest in..

55 lb will pull that around just fine. I have that on a 17.5 footer and I have no problems trolling.

Having said that, if you're going to spend the money on an I-pilot, go with the bigger one. And if you got room for two batteries.

Ineed to get myself an I-pilot but the missus sez no until the one I have breaks down.

Anybody live North of Duluth who owns a sledge hammer and is willing to make a midnight visit to my garage?? grin

Try leaving the troll motor deployed and come onto the trailer hot at the landing. Should take care of it.

Thanks for the info, guys. The boat will probably be a Lund Fury 1600 Tiller with a 25 HP 4-stroke. So I'm thinking the 55# will be just fine.

Someone said an on board charger hooked to both batteries...is there not an alternator of some sort with the motor to keep the starting battery charged?

The motor will put some charge back i but only works best when making long runs at full throttle. 2 finder/gps units and radio even on long runs won't keep my cranking battery fully charged, will run a few days but will be a point and time it won't start.

If you can afford it, purchasing a charger that has a bank for the starting battery is never a bad idea. I already get too few days on the water in my opinion. Knowing all my batteries are fully charged is worth the extra cost.

marine_man

I had a 16ft Fisher with a 35hp motor. My bow-mounted 55lb thrust Minnkota pushed that thing around like nobody's business. When I upgraded to a much heavier Alumacraft Navigator with a 90hp 4-stroke, I kept the 55lb thrust trolling motor. Others said that I shouldn't be "under powered" but it does just fine, and my boat is much heavier than your setup. Whenever my trolling motor does die, I'll get something with a little more thrust but it's not necessary by a long shot.

I also have just one deep-cycle power the trolling motor and it does fine. Then again, I may not use it a ton like others do but I don't have any issues with the battery draining. If I fish hard on the lake one day, I just recharge at night. An onboard charger would be nice but again, like all things in life, you know what is necessary and what is just nice to have (peace of mind).

Thanks for the info, guys. The boat will probably be a Lund Fury 1600 Tiller with a 25 HP 4-stroke. So I'm thinking the 55# will be just fine.

Someone said an on board charger hooked to both batteries...is there not an alternator of some sort with the motor to keep the starting battery charged?

the on board chargers everyone is talking about are for when you are at home or someplace where you can plug it in. they are just battery chargers that stay in your boat. I run 2 onboards on my boat(single bank for trolling motor battery and a two bank for my starting and accessory battery)

Relating to boat of similar size I have to think back to my dad's "old boat" 16.5' with a 35hp tiller. Yes, 12v trolling motor 55lb will probably pull you around just fine. However, in a longer day of fishing (mainly Gull Lake) dad would have to bring two batteries with him as it seemed more times then not, one battery would wear down. Now I am talking back trolling which I assume would drain a battery faster. Dad did purchase one of those solar panel things and connect that to the battery and it seemed to help extend the life/trip. The negative for you and a 25hp motor is that a third battery is only more weight in the boat.

Definately, definately put in an on board charger. Two bank if you only have two batteries or 3 bank if you have 3. You won't be sorry.

Jarrod32,

if you go with that lund you may want to check to see what the max hp would be for that boat. if you could go up to a 40HP I would do it since it won't cost that much more to upgrade right away. I just bought a Alumacraft 160CS fisherman (similar to the lund I believe, both 16 feet) it originally came with a 25HP in the package deal but Cabela's(where I bought it) upgraded all the fisherman packages to 40HP motors because they were getting complaints that the boat was under powered with the 25HP. the price of the package went up a extra $800.00 for the upgrade to the 40HP.