• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Inflatable Pontoon?

For some reason mine didn't come with the trolling motor mounting plate so I'll have to rig up my own. The factory holes are there in the frame just off to the side of the final anchor pulley but for whatever reason mine did not come with the mounting plate as shown in all the online retail pictures. I'll probably just take a small piece of plate steel and drill some holes in it and fasten it to the frame. Probably have to bolt a block of 2x4 on the plate steel so I have more material to tighten the trolling motor down to.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Water Skeeter Klamath River LP Pontoon boasts a stealth, low-profile design. PRICED RIGHT! Cut through the water with ease in this Klamath River LP (Low Profile) Pontoon. Its stealth, low-profile design pontoons offer less wind resistance, more maneuverability and better tracking through the water. The pontoons are 8'6" long x 20" wide x 15" high, and are made of 600-denier double-coated PVC outside with .5 mm PVC bladders inside. Details: Sturdy 7-Pc. black powder coated 1 1/4" diameter tubing with folding oar mounts; 6 1/2' black powder-coated, floating oars with 13" PVC sleeve and rubber oarstop; Bronze oarlocks for durability; 2-Pc. black folding molded padded seat with dual; height "Hi-Low" seat frame; U-shaped aluminum tubing anchor mount; Includes 50' of round anchor rope (10 mm diam.); 4-pulley anchor rope system; Flat steel grid rear deck; Dual zippered large contoured rigid storage compartments; Motor mount; Aluminum rod holder and drink holder; "Lap style" mesh stripping apron; Adjustable leg rests; 350-lb. capacity; Weights 52 lbs.

the toons oar really well since there is so little drag with them. the best thing i can tell you if your not gonna put a TM on it. is always be mindful of wind direction and put your toon in on the sheltered areas or reasonably smaller bodies of water.

when its windy, i'll anchor & fan cast an area, move & repeat...it also helps to oar deep into pads/slop when its a bit windier. leave the oars in the water & that'll help hold ya being wrapped up in the veg. without an anchor under milder winds.

but i tell ya what my 55# minn kota can buck some wind & chop when needed on my toon. i think the worst i've bucked straight on was 20-30mph with 35mph gusts. but you'll suck the life outta that 55 doing that...

theres pro & cons with any and all portable vessels. toons are great & i do love mine but you should seriously consider puttin a 45-55# tm on it & you'll be much happier all the way around.

The one thing that would make these things better is if you could fish two people out of em..

This was my feeling too, then I saw an ad for the Sea Eagle FoldCat in field and stream, which is set up with 2 seats and an optional platform out front for bow fishing (pictured in the ad). 16' long and almost 5' wide when inflated and deflated fits in a car trunk and takes up to a 3 hp motor. Wondering if anyone has had experience with a bigger inflatable pontoon like that too? I like your smaller version except I want to start bowfishing this spring.

Keep us informed on how you like it and how it performs.

Thanks

the toons oar really well since there is so little drag with them. the best thing i can tell you if your not gonna put a TM on it. is always be mindful of wind direction and put your toon in on the sheltered areas or reasonably smaller bodies of water.

when its windy, i'll anchor & fan cast an area, move & repeat...it also helps to oar deep into pads/slop when its a bit windier. leave the oars in the water & that'll help hold ya being wrapped up in the veg. without an anchor under milder winds.

but i tell ya what my 55# minn kota can buck some wind & chop when needed on my toon. i think the worst i've bucked straight on was 20-30mph with 35mph gusts. but you'll suck the life outta that 55 doing that...

theres pro & cons with any and all portable vessels. toons are great & i do love mine but you should seriously consider puttin a 45-55# tm on it & you'll be much happier all the way around.

That is great information. I was really wondering how a TM would be able to pull or push the boat along in windy situatinos like that and it sounds like you've managed in a pinch.

The only reason I'm hesitant to put a TM on this is I also need one for my regular 16' fiberglass boat which I use to ski and fish out of. Not great for fishing yet but was planning on ripping the seats/storage out of the bow and putting in a casting deck with a swivel seat and TM on the bow. Budget (or the wife) may not allow for two trolling motor purchases this spring and unfortunately one probably won't work for both since I need both a transom mount (toon) and a bow mount (boat).

Fishing is an expensive hobby...Fortunately for me the wife still is under the impression it's cheap since worms only cost a couple bucks. grin

This was my feeling too, then I saw an ad for the Sea Eagle FoldCat in field and stream, which is set up with 2 seats and an optional platform out front for bow fishing (pictured in the ad). 16' long and almost 5' wide when inflated and deflated fits in a car trunk and takes up to a 3 hp motor. Wondering if anyone has had experience with a bigger inflatable pontoon like that too? I like your smaller version except I want to start bowfishing this spring.

Keep us informed on how you like it and how it performs.

Thanks

After looking at accessories for mine I stumbled across a few two man units. If I hadn't purchased mine on an impulse through a local auction I would have went that route. That said, I'm pretty excited about using this and will definitely report back on how it goes.

I'm pretty sure by next weekend i will have an order in for a Creek Company Super Sport XR1... I have been accessing it for awhile now.. and im pretty positive its the one i want.. comes with everything i need without having to put extra cash into it... sooner or later a tm would be cool.. but im a big boy.. i can row..

even if you sharpie the numbers you still want the DNR tag on something else that you can tie and hang cuz it will peel up & come off.

I wouldn't suggest the sharpie if you ever want to resale it to someone that does want a motor or numbers on it. Just a suggestion. wink

Well I finally got her out yesterday evening on a small, mostly undeveloped lake.

The boat functioned pretty well. There was a small learning curve using the oars but all in all it was pretty decent and it wasn't too difficult to fish out of. I bungee'd my Marcum to one of the 'toons and brought a couple of ice fishing rods with. Fishing was slow, only managed one fish (a small pike) but he was a blast to catch on the little rod. Made three good runs before I landed the 14" beast.

Fishing out of this pontoon felt almost exactly like ice fishing from my flip over portable. I'm sure that will change after opener but jigging for crappies and gills from a chair with an ice rod and flasher sure felt familiar.

After using it for about 3 hours yesterday I can see why a trolling motor would be useful. Oaring the pontoon around wasn't a chore but the oars seemed to always be in my way. Having a TM would allow a person to keep the oars cocked back and away from the user, making it much easier to maneuver around on the seat to grab tackle, rods, bait, beverage etc. Also, I like to troll and it's hard to troll with oars. A TM would allow one hand to be kept free and a guy wouldn't need to rely on the rod holder.

The biggest perk was how peaceful things were...much more so than on my boat. I felt much closer to nature being so close to the water and not having the outboard motor drown out my thoughts. A very pleasant and different experience. I'm already looking forward to my next trip out.

The biggest perk was how peaceful things were...much more so than on my boat. I felt much closer to nature being so close to the water and not having the outboard motor drown out my thoughts. A very pleasant and different experience. I'm already looking forward to my next trip out.

Super cool. It will make a fishless day much more enjoyable. smile My mini bass boat is sitting 90 miles away just waiting for another truck to deliver it. I just need to decide whether to go with a 40# or 54# thrust motor.

I haven't purchased a TM yet. My plan is to buy used since it will be seeing minimal use each year. I don't think a guy can go too big. Hopefully I can find a decent deal on something 40# plus. I still need to redo the interior of my boat so I don't want to dump too much into the 'toon just yet.

I agree, but a guy can spend too much money. whistle

I haven't priced new units...is there a pretty big jump in price as you move your way up the thrust spectrum?

It's very easy to spend too much money - that I can also agree with.

Thanks for reminding me to order the motor. For the motor I need, the price difference is $62. For the extra thrust, I might as well get the more powerful one. I can always find a couple things in the garage to sell on evilbay to make up the difference. wink

you can spend to much money BUT gettin a TM with real power is not the area to go cheap on in this circumstance.

you NEED the extra power because the 'toons are considerably more susceptible to being wind blown vs a boat, its money well spent wink

i guarantee that you go cheap & get a weak TM you'll be disappointed. again my suggestion is to get a 55# and be completely satisfied.

I'll keep my eyes peeled form something in the 55lb range then. Thanks for your strong words of advice Friar. grin

It seems like you'd be hauling arse with something that size, but I watched that video posted in the other thread with the outboard and he wasn't moving at crazy speed or anthing.

I did notice my first (and only) time out so far that this toon moves at about 1/4 teh speed as my cheap kayak. A lot of drag for something so light, but then again both my 'toons are under inflated. I'm hoping that drag decreases when I get to the proper air pressure.

at full speed a 55# will move it well & you make little mini wakes lol but its not crazy speed per se. i don't run it at full on much at all cuz of how it'll drain the battery so quick. but the biggest reason for the extra power is simply to have it when you NEED it. there will be times you will need it and be glad you have it.

also if your only out for a short outing(not having to be as mindful of battery usage) it sure is a pleasure to have the power to get from point A to point B in a decent amount of time. seriously, once you get a 55# you will be more than happy you bucked up & got it, trust me wink

when you inflate your toons, you should be able to take your thumb and push down firmly in the top center and depress the toon about a half inch, thats when you know they are full.