• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Yar Craft 1895 with a Etech 115 trolling speed.

Borch

I'm looking at buying a 2001 yarcraft 1895 with a 2007 etech 115 on a 6" jackplate and I'm wondering if anyone has run this set up. I'm more concerned with trolling speed as I do a lot of late fall crank trolling. I know that you can reprogram the engine computer to drop the rmps down to 400 or 500 rpm. So I think I can get down to a reasonable trolling speed without having to use any bags to slow me down. The guy selling the boat has not used it as it was his son's boat.

i have 20+ft yar craft with 150 e-tec

i can troll foward bout 2.5 on flat water

just bout right for cranks

i would think on that boat you should be albe to get down there ok for crank baits

curious why it has a jack plate on it

Hey Jeff. I have no experience with the boat or motor you're looking at, but I have fished out of quite a few boats with 115s on them (not etecs), and have quite a few friends who have (or had) 115s (not etecs). So here is my opinion / slightly educated guess for you.

My guess is the normal trolling speed you're looking at with that rig is in the 2.2 to 2.5 range. Maybe a bit less since you can drop the rpms down. I've just never seen a boat with a 115 that trolls slower than that by itself, and a lot of the guys I know with 115s who were serious about trolling cranks ended up going with kicker motors sooner or later.

Prop pitch comes into play here and your "best" option for slower trolling might be to put a lower pitch prop on the motor when you want to get under 2 mph. You'll have to be careful on the top end --- if you run WOT you'll over-rev the motor, and you won't have all your speed when running fast --- but for trolling it will slow you down.

The guys I know that trolled with 115s would often drop their bowmounts in the water and turn them so the long side of the lower unit was at a right angle to the boat, creating some drag in the water and slowing them down a bit. They might also slip their motors in and out of gear to slow their trolling speeds.

Sounds like the only way to know for sure is to try to get the guy to give you a test ride.

Hope that helps a bit and good luck with the new rig!

Thanks Dave.

Seems like the 115 is the small motor for this rigs as I see a lot of 135 on them as well even though I thought they were only rated to 125). I may have to wait until I can take it for a test drive. smile

I can only speculate on the jake plate at this point but usually to enhance performance.

Did you have the rpm's adjusted with you 150. Just curious.

The 20 ft yar craft tiller is very simulair to the 1895 with a pointier nose to stretch it beyond 20 ft to get past the tiller ratio formula.

After some digging here I seem someone with a 1895 BT with a yamaha F115 that trolls down to 1.7-2.1 depending on the number of guys in the boat. Since the F115 doesn't come with the adjustable rpm system(only up to 90 hp) I'm guessing I'd be at least that slow with the etec and the computer rpm adjustment depending on how it's propped.

But it's still a guess at this point.

"I can only speculate on the jake plate at this point but usually to enhance performance."

That's one reason, but when i had one it was great being able to raise the motor in shallow water. Then i could keep more of the prop in the water and still not hit bottom.

grin

no i have'nt done any thing to my motor

and ya the hulls are simliar

and i'm guessing that 1.7 is probably close

not sure about the boats perchjeker is talking that had ii5's on them

if they were tin boats your lookin at a few lbs difference in weight

throw in a guy or two fill your wells i'm sure you will be albe to troll crank baits easy might hafta gas it some..lol

i'm dont know what you had for a boat previous to this but your going to like you new boat

you will be impressed with the power pushing you out of the hole

i never lose site over the bow which i like..i was alittle concerned buying the boat that 150 would be big enough on a 20ft glass boat

but i love it..not a speed demon it runs 44 trimmed out

but as i 've stated before i fish winnie 90% of the time and if its windy i'm not running full trottle alot any way...i could if if i wanted

and sometiems that is the driest ride

i'm presuming if it has a jack plate on it its a wheel boat???

kinda baffled why that was put on there i guess i dont know much about them

From what i remember. A jackplate moves the motor back however many inches to get the prop into supposedly cleaner(undisturbed)water for better performance, plus it allows you to raise and lower the unit to find that " sweet spot" for height. The boat i had with one, there was a certain height where the rig seemed to perform, and handle better. Plus it was nice in shallow water to raise it so you could have more prop in the water, but not hit bottom. grin

Wish i had one on my current boat!

From what i remember. A jackplate moves the motor back however many inches to get the prop into supposedly cleaner(undisturbed)water for better performance

Not sure about the cleaner water theory. But I do know that a jack plate moves the heavy motor farther back, thereby moving the balance point or pivot point of the boat farther back, theregy giving you more bow lift and getting more hull out of the water. Less hull dragging in the water equals more speed and better performance. Plus a jack plate raises the motor, again less drag in the water so more speed and performance.

I just wonder if they installed it to compensate for something. Lack of power? So-So hull design? maybe the guy who had it has more money than he knew what to with and thought it'd be cool?

Just not a typical walleye boat set up to see a jack plate in that set up.

I just wonder if they installed it to compensate for something.

Since you brought up the whole conspiracy thing ...... I was wondering why there's an '07 engine on an '01 boat .... the natural-born skeptic in me starts waving red flags right sway smile

Any idea why the newer motor Jeff?

Possible reasons.

previous motor blew up

previous motor was carbs and sucked gas.

previous motor was like a 75 and was really really underpowered.

previous motor got stolen

Previous motor was a really nice 4stroke that the guy wanted to keep and he got a deal on this one.

all perfectly innocent. :-)

ya i think maybe poor performance as in under powerd hence the jack to help it out ????

just a guess

or somebody listening to the many experts on here...lol

or just a newbe that just wasnt sure

being as it a tiller and a glass boat if it was under powered

you probably coundnt see where you going to start

i'm would think this 115 is fairly good could still maybe be alittle short i dont really know i'm presuming that boat empty is in the 1800lb

catogory

i know i had a 89 glass boat 60 evinrude on that boat it was ok out of the hole

and i rebuilt it and added alot of weight to it in the front and put a new 60 e-tec on it and it pushed me right out of the water to plan out i lost sight over the bow for just a short time

i guess my point is i would thing you should have enough power to get you out of the hole and i'm sure you will be albe to back troll with that with not a lot of chop

as boat fixer said though somebody was alittle off if they were trying to set up a classic walleye boat cuz that boat certianly could be just that

Is it a hydraulic jackplate?

Alot of the big glass walleye boats do have them now. Between trim and adjusting the motor height while running, you can really get the boat dialed in for top end speed.

Jackplate is also nice for shallow water where you can just move the motor up.

Borch, I have an 1895BT with a F115. It might have been my post stating 1.7 - 2.1 forward trolling. The F115 idles right around 800 rpm, so if you can get the Evinrude down to 500 it should get the boat down to 1.5 or below. I pull cranks a lot in the warm water period. I expect you will love the boat. It's a great fishing package. My top speed is 38 to 41...........41 with a really light load and little gas.

Good luck.

Gregg, 41.3 was just after break-in with only the starting battery, rear electric and 1/4 tank of gas. With 3 batteries, 2 electrics, gas in the tank and fishing stuff, 38-39 is normal WOT (WOT is seldom seen).

I've seen you on Winnie a couple times---thought it was you as it was a Yarcraft/Etec.