• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deep Dish Pan Pizza

Nice vid, and great results! I would have liked to see the crust after all was said and done, but it was buried under about 2" of cheese. I love cheese, but that seemed like a bit much. Great use of a CI pan, and I look forward to more vids from the kitchen at Lake IWTBT!

Good video.Seemed like to much cheese.I would put the pepperoni right on top of the sausage and cut out the middle cheese layer.Pizza is finger food,not fork food.

Also pizza crusts are tough if you don't let it rise for an hour and punch it down.

I think that the post title is a little misleading, as it's not a deep dish pizza but just pizza made in a cast iron (deep dish) pan. The gentleman did a good job and I have no doubt from the size of his hands and the amount of cheese, that he's from Wisconsin!

Awesome vid. Gonna have to try making a pizza in my fish fry pan. With the 75-100 fish fries I've had in there (and 10-15 pckgs of bacon), won't my pizza taste like fish with hints of bacon? Mmmm, maybe not a bad thing? Bobby Bass, approximately where in the great midwest is "LakeIwannabeThere"? Minny, 'Sconi?

Here's my deep dish recipe that I've been working on this winter. It will make a reasonably thick crust for a 14-16" pie.

Flieshmans Rapid Rise Yeast packet

1 cup of water

1/2 tsp sugar

2.5 cups flour

garlic powder

Italian seasoning

1 tsp salt

2 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp butter

Heat up 1 cup of water in a glass cup (I use a 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup to allow for yeast to expand). I zap it in the microwave for about 40 seconds to get the water nice and warm. Thoroughly mix in the 1/2 tsp of sugar. Add the yeast packet and gently mix it up. Set the timer for 10 minutes to get those yeast cells working. It should have a 1/2" thick krauesen layer on top.

While you are waiting for that, mix up the 2.5 cups of flour, 2 Tbsp of olive oil, and 1 tsp of salt. I like to add garlic powder and Italian seasoning to taste, cooks discretion of course. Once the yeast is ready, mix it up and dump it in. Start mixing it up. Add some flour as you are doing this to keep it from sticking (~ another 1/4 cup?). Knead the dough for 8 minutes (greatly helps if you are drinking beer here). Form into a ball. Place ball into bowl and cover outside with 1 tbsp of melted butter. Cover and place on top of pre-warmed oven for 30 minutes. Then punch down the risen dough with your fist. Reform into ball and wait another 5 minutes.

Your dough is now ready. Make the pizza with your toppings of choice. I like to put the dough on a pizza stone, as this avoids adding a bunch more butter to the recipe. Cook for 16-19 minutes at 450 F. Enjoy!

Can there ever be to much cheese? Haha Mama likes thin crust pizza and we make that to but every now and then I like a big pie that you have to eat with a fork and I want to taste cheese and meat with every bite. This is the kind of pizza that you have one piece not half the pie to get filled. Just wanted to point out that the ole fish fry pan should not sit lonely but can do other things beside cook a couple of pounds of bacon and a dozen eggs. Thanks for all the tips as I always try to improve, gives me an excuse to make an other pie!

you started out slow with the little sauce and then the slices and then a little sprikle with cheese and then a little sauce[and i thought "where is all the good stuff"] and then you started to pile it on and i said "now your talkin". did a fine job. of course everyone likes different toppings but the cheese is the key in the blend. good luck.