• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

spring bobber

fsnrod

Yep, this is a great way to fish finicky panfish but I certainly won't give up my spring bobbers! One thing you can do when fishing light line for pannies is pull out 30' of line and pre stretch it a couple of times which helps decrease the memory and puts you in better touch of you lure. Old line and heavier lines will tend to coil and have a bit of memory, which in essence puts a bit of slack in your line and reduces the amount of feel you have even when using a spring bobber. I like to pull out 30 feet in the garage and then start at the rod and pinch the line as I pull it through my fingers back towards the lure. After stretching it 2-3 times the line will lay straight and you will have also reduce line twist which can cause bite shy pannies to be tight lipped as well. Good luck, hope this helps.

Tunrevir~

While I do have a couple spring bobber rods.. I feel I can not put the same action that I want using one. For those really tough bite days, I watch the line right as it comes out of the rod. There is a very small gap/bow in the line right there that will ever so slightly either lift or fall when there is a bite.

I have not used a spring bobber in a looooooong time. Mainly because jigging your lure below the ice will not be the same. If you try it out, you'll see that your jig moves differently with a spring bobber. The give that is released from a spring bobber just makes it different. I dont like it but you can certainly check it out and whatever you prefer is what you should use. They both catch the same amount of fish in my opinion. I have a light rod and it is pretty much a spring bobber all in itself. Like i said, its all in what you prefer.

When the agressive jigging motion is required then i use a light rod with no spring bobber.

When i'm using smaller jigs where the action desired is generally less, then i'm using a spring bobber.

I will agree that you lose some action with a spring bobber, but will also say that you are probably using a lure to heavy for the spring anyway, and when agressive tactics are needed, the fish will usually POUND the lure and no spring bobber necessary. 2c

To the origional question, i think dietz explained it pretty well.

I don't own a spring bobber.I have used Cortland 2# ice line for many years and fished it in the a fore mentioned manner.It is a hi-vis line and thus enables you to see any subtle tick or movement in the line and I've never witnessed it to be a deterrent to the bite.Suffix and Stren also make a hi-vis line that may work equally as well

Hi fsnrod, sounds like he is a line watcher.

I am what is called a "tightliner" I watch the line and it is my bobber. I use gold stren like the original tightliners from michigan.

nothing wrong with using a good spring bobber though, I like the st. croix legend with the adjustable spring for different weight jigs.

I usually tightline or sight fish, but I do use the st croix if the fish want a dead still presentation,the finicky gills can bite and load the spring without feeling any tension. it is also a great way to get kids into the sport.

i might also add that most of the anglers in the world icefishing championships use a palm rod with some kind of adjustable indicator in the tip that functions much like a spring bobber.

There is no right or wrong way to fish if you are getting fish, but if you try new things you will become more versatile, and more fish will get iced in the long run!