• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

would you trade small moter for bigger moter?

mrpike1973

hi right now i have a 14 foot starcraft alum boat its the wider type style. i have a 6 hp evinrude 1989 moter it runs like a champ. pushes it ok i can get on plane if its just me. i dont have any weight in it except for 2 false floors and a anchor. the boat is rated for a 30 hp moter. i'm wondering if i should go bigger i had a 9.9 on it and honestly i couldnt tell the difference in speed at all or power. i'm i a fool to run this small of a moter or should i just keep it runs great. i guess the big question is do i need a bigger moter. i fish small lakes and i'm in no hurry thanks

If you had a 9.9 on it and couldn't tell the difference,I'd guess the 9.9 was running poor maybe even only on one cylinder.

I used a 7.5 on my 14ft for years worked great then I got a deal on a 15 and I wonder why I didnt jump up before I did.Not much heavier and 3 times the speed with two in the boat!

My LUND is under powered abit with a 50 and I thought about going up in the HP department.

I decided not to as I can get where I am going at 27-30mph with 2 people. I am afraid if I go up in HP. I will not be able to troll down like I can now and I will probably lose some mileage as this 50 is great on gas.

It all depends on what you are looking for. My boat is slower to get on plane with others in the boat but otherwise I love the motor I have.

I agree with JIm 100%.

Sounds like you have a nice rig for what you do. If it gets you there and idles down nice for trolling why change it?

I have a 70 on my 16' Starcraft and sure, it's nice to go 33 MPH across the lake but it sucks huge that I can't idle it down to troll at 1.3 MPH. Personally, if I change I'm going smaller.

To each their own but like Jim said, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

There isn't a marked difference in speed of a newer 6HP and an older 9.9 HP motor IMO. I wouldn't go any higher than a 15 if I were you but if you do go with a bigger motor go with a 15 because you will see a differance in top speed and you'll still be able to idle down. On top of that if there ever comes a time you need to get to the other side of a medium sized lake you will have the option..might never happen but if it does you'll be ready.

I have the same boat 1983 14' Starcraft w/ 9.9hp rude. I get 18mph on the gps when I'm alone. 12mph with company in the boat. Get the 15hp if you can. When a storm is rolling in across the lake you are going to want the xtra horse power.

I have a newer boat with a 90hp, but also an old 12' Starcraft with a '63 Seahorse 5.5hp. I love that little boat and use it a lot to cruise around in the bay that we're on. If you've got a solid motor and aren't limited by it's capabilities, why upgrade? You're just looking for ways to spend money in my opinion.

If anything, buy a used stern-mounted trolling motor to use.