• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A zoo at the Bog

Had a doctor's appointment in Duluth today and decided to swing through Sax-Zim on the way back. LOTS of people today. Two film crews, two vans of Texans, people from South Dakota, Seattle, Illinois and plenty from Minnesota. Lots of birds around, too, but they for the most part were very stand-offish. Saw magpies, sharptails, shrikes, a hawk owl, a couple of rough legged hawks and an eagle along with a couple of black-backed woodpeckers. Took shots of all of them but they were so far off couldn't get anything of those to post. Thank goodness for the songbirds. Saved the day as far as images:

Sax1.gif

Sax2.gif

Sax3.gif

Sax4.gif

Sax5.gif

Ran into ShawnZ out there today! Great to meetja!

I did the Section 7 meet last week knowing that my appointment was going to keep me from getting there in time to take shots today. I'm guessing the sloppy course made for some difficult skiing. Was your niece there again this year?

Play. grin

I'm a retired school teacher. I have been photographing professionally off and on for the last 25 years, but have really gotten serious about it the last 7 years.

Before that I was a professional guide in the BWCA. Had my own guiding company for awhile, but spent the last years with that working for the outfitters in Ely.

I've had a wonderful life.

I did the Section 7 meet last week knowing that my appointment was going to keep me from getting there in time to take shots today. I'm guessing the sloppy course made for some difficult skiing. Was your niece there again this year?

Yes and my nephew as well. My sister, who you met last was trying to get me up there for the day...If it had been cold with lots of snow I would have made the drive for the day. She got the assignment and got to have all the fun plus watch her kids. Sounded sloppy, grey and slow!

Finnbay- that sounds like a great life. Im hoping to do something similar by getting a job that has little desk work.

Your pictures are really good which is why I was asking. They aren't just random joe blow with a point and shoot.

Quote:
Your pictures are really good which is why I was asking. They aren't just random joe blow with a point and shoot.

Thanks for the compliment, but there are a lot of people who post some fantastic shots here, and many of them use point and shoots! It's amazing where the camera industry has gone in the last few years since the digital revolution. Take a point and shoot, add a little direction and anyone can take great pictures!

Love the action and look to #4 sir. The background is far enough from the subject(s), as well as you having enough magnification to provide a very pleasing look.

It was nice to meet you, the quality of character of northern folk never ceases to impress me.

Hey finnbay, were you by any chance one the guides/counselors at an Ely basecamp (Long lake?) put on for MIAC students in the 1980s? It was a Summer "Environmental Biology" Semester that lasted about a month. We we taught scientific names and personalities of all the plants and critters in the area and did a two week canoe trip into the Quetico (Pooba Lake was our destination). Very fond memories and for some reason you look familiar.

Sorry, don't remember the Delany Death March. But I do remember a few non-descript death marches with the Grumman wooden yoke and a Duluth pack (only one trip per portage allowed according to our guide). But finally stumbling to the next lake and diving in was heaven.

Ken:

You picked the wrong weekend for solitude photography in the bog with the festival and out of state birders visiting the bog. I am guessing things will slow down a lot after the festival and the bog will be a lot more peaceful. Of course you could of traveled over to Isabella and found the same birds there except the ST Grouse and Rough-legged Hawks. The Spruce Grouse are getting antsy for displaying and the Gray Jays will be nest building anytime as well.

I love all your photos.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. As I said, I was going by anyway and figured I'd stop. Still got to see some stuff and met ShawnZ so was definitely worth the time. Maybe I'll make it there once more before spring gets here. Wouldn't mind finding a displaying sprucie.