• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

136 vs. 144 track for trail riding?

Meat-Run

Curious as I'm researching sleds and would like to get a 136" track or longer for trail riding and icefishing. My question is I would be doing 50/50 and want to be able to trial ride with the longer track my question is a 136 to long for trials and/or would a 144 still be ok for trail riding?

mr

My opinion is that the 136" would be perfect for riding around MN. 144" is certainly fine for riding trails, but in low snow condition you will see more wear on the slides. A 144 may also tend to push more. If the 144" is a mountain sled you wont have as good as suspension for trail riding either.

My recommendation and the best of both worlds would be a newer Skidoo Renegade. It's a 136" x 16" wide track (close to the same surface area of a 144"x15"), and rides great on and off trail. It has a little storage are on the tunnel which can be nice for fishing gear.

Could also look at a AC Crossfire. That sled in a 136" or 144" would be great for trail riding. I rode my father is laws one day a last month and it's a pretty nice sled. His is a 136" but he put a big wheel kit and long track on it....so it would be similar to the 144". Worked great on the trail, but I don't like the seating position as much as I do the Skidoo rev chassis.

I run a 2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144 2" lug. It is a very agressive trail sled and I can hardly tell its a 144 out on the trail. I have about 1500 miles on the original hyfax. In low snow conditions scratchers are needed for cooling the motor. A 144 x 1.25" would be ideal for trail/icefishing.

Go with the 144". You won't regret it! I ride only mountain sleds, although I rarely ever ride in Minnesota. I have 2.4" lugs, and my track and slides are in perfect condition for the little bit of Minnesota riding I do.

The longer track will help with flotation in case we get deep snow some winter. Especially if you're hauling lots of gear! Although, a 136" will do just fine. I would just get whatever you can find for the best deal.

Jack.

I agree with Hemi, the 136 is a great blend of both. You can still kick it around good on the trails but it gets up on the deep snow and goes great. Crossover sleds also seem to hold resale better than most. I had over 9000 miles on my original hyfax on my Renegade before I had to replace them.

I got a 99 700 RMK with a 136" track. I was kind of wondering the same thing but I will tell you after this winter I will not go back to a smaller track! It has 1 3/4 lugs and does just fine, it doesnt slide around on the trails like a regular track IMO. Plus in the deep snow I can gain speed and get on top of the snow instead of slowing down and sinking. I have not added the skratcher yet and have not had a problem. Good luck with you sled shopping!!!

Thanks guys. I've been looking at sks w/136 tracks and was leaning that direction but have noticed some good deals further out of state and must travel to get a 144 track sleds...maybe worth it but did want to hear if there's much difference between the 136 and 144. A 2 inch paddle lug might make trail riding a little more difficult I figured so i'm leaning towards a sks with a 136 track...now if I can only convince the wife I NEED one!?

Thanks for help.

mr

Pay attention to what kind of sled the 144's are if you look at them. Mountain sled by nature do not have as nice of suspension as your normal trail/crossover sleds. Not saying they can't be ridden on trails and do well, but a crossover or trail sled with a suspension built for that application will be easier on your body after a 180 mile ride. If you ride out west and only a few times in MN, then that would be a different story. Really no need for a 144" in MN....heck you can do a heck of a lot on a 136" crossover sled in the mountains if you have a paddle track and a little experience.

Personally I have riding just about every different track combination out there and I will never ride a standard 121 again. Currently I have both a 136 sled and a 141 sled. Don't worry about the hoo ha not having a good suspension on a longer sled. They are the same. It's a matter of adjusting it. I can run my 141 through the trails like its on a rail. It does push a bit more in wet snow conditions. So i'll ride my 136. Crossovers are great for both, they have curves rails for improved trail performance. But yet they best riding trail sled I've rode to date is an apex mtn SE with a 162 track. Really comes down to preference. If you can find a place that you can test them out the better off you will be.

thanks sledhead,

I'm really set on a 136 track when I find the right deal. Question for you do you see any doggish or lack of response with a longer track compared to a 121, is there a noticable difference?

FYI.. went riding with my neighbor lastnight and he has a 700 edge with a 121 studded and it really puts you back into your seat...I really like the power to make you hang on for dear-life.

mr

The longer track may be a little slower in top end when comparing the same CC's engines...but not by much. Your turning more mass/air with the longer track. The 136 or longer tracks can grab better in good snow conditions there for can be better in that aspect. There will not be much if any of a noticeable difference though as far as that in concerned. You will not be disappointed with a 136" sled. Heck, I could lift the front end off the ground on my 06' 600 Renegade.....it was a run sled.

I will argue all day long that mountain sleds are not the best for trail riding. While some may be better than others, I can tell you from experience that a sled like an AC M7 is not as good of trail sled as the Crossfire or Skidoo Renegade....especially bumpy trails. The Crossfire and Renegade do not have curved rails.

One other key point to keep in mind is how the sled will perform in low snow conditions as far as cooling the engine. Longer tracks suffer in low snow conditions and you may need to run ice sratchers. Running icy trails or low snow on lakes when ice fishing can be an issue with longer track. I just don't see the benefits.

I've owned both the 121 and the 136. Can't say I ever tested the top end on either, so I'll defer any remarks to those who have, but it sure makes sense that the long track would be a little slower top end. If you are going to do any aggressive trail riding with others with short tracks, you will have to work harder to keep up on a 136 or longer. I'm speaking specifically about trails with numerous twists and turns. I bought a 136 at the beginning of the year, put 650 miles on it, then sold it to buy another 121. I could keep up with my buddies on the short tracks, but I definately had to work harder - and I personally don't like having to work any harder than I have to while having fun. If you do any trail rides of 100 miles or more, you definately will notice the difference in effort vs a shortie.

If you're looking for something to do both trail riding and other off trail stuff fairly well, then the 136 should be right up your alley.

Good Luck.

I dont know what your budget is but some of the newer crossover type sleds are 144s but the back 10 inches or so of the rail is tipped up at about 6-8 degrees. This allows the sled to have the footprint of a 121-136 inch sled on the trail, but still have the floatation of the 144 in the pow.

That beind said, I have a 2003 Skidoo rev that I stretched to a 136 this year and love it.

Wow some good advice and personal experiences. I'm fully committed to a 02/03 Renegade or a Polaris SKS but my next concern is should I go no lower then a 600cc or 700cc? I know the 700cc will obviously have more power and I'm leaning towards that but thinking if I come across a clean 600cc should I jump on the oppurtinity and will I suffer in power when it comes to deep snow?

Thanks guys you've been very helpful.

mr

I think you would be surprised...all be it the 136" sled had a 141" paddle track on it running 8" wheels. Now deep deep powder climbs can obviously be a struggle and I am not claiming they will do everything a big mtn sled will....but the 800 Crossfire held it's own the past two years with our group. But the most experienced rider was on that sled.

Out of curiosity....what areas do you feel they would not make that you ride?

A studded track will be more apt to put you back in your seat. But so will a 1.5 track in goo snow conditions. Yes I flirt with the hot light flickering when there is low snow condition with my 141. but have never had it happen with my 136. No I don't see any loss in performance in my long track verses a short track sled. Keep in mind that my longer sleds are geared different and clutched different. And I'm not a speed demon. I like speed, don't get me wrong. I'm more about fast through the trails not fast in the straight away. I hold my own with everyone I ride with. And I'm one of two that ride long track sleds. In fact I'll be out tommarrow pounding the snow with both my sleds. I'll be riding out of Forest lake.

As far as power. My 700 is definatly has more power than my 600, but the seven is a triple over a twin. as far as speed they are relitivaly the same. But when it comes to like a ski-doo the power is so close to all their engines I hardly can tell the difference.

Got to say I love the ride of my longer sleds.

Well to continue this thread I purchased my first long track this past weekend. I got a 2001 Polaris 700 SKS i've been trying to post a picture but not having any success. My neighbor and I put on about 40 miles on Tuesday evening and was pleasently surprised of the handling but there was some pushing in really icy corners but this will happen with most sleds not studded. If some one can help me get a picture up I would apprieciate it very much!?

thanks for all your input.

mr

there was some pushing in really icy corners but this will happen with most sleds not studded.

Pushing will be worse with a studded track! Pushing is somewhat common on longer track sleds especially if they are not dialed in correctly for the rider. The more studs you have the more the sled will want to go straight. First, check your wear bars/carbides and if they are worn replace them. If they are good, you need to do some suspension adjustments to get less pressure on the track and more pressure on the skis. You can do this by cranking the front ski shocks a bit stiffer, or by backing off the front shock on the rear suspension. One click will be noticeable so go in small increments until it handles the way you want. Some experimenting will get you familiar with the sled enough to know if you need to fine tune it for different snow conditions.

Congrats on the sled, with some miles under your belt you'll grow to love the longer track. wink

How to post a picture thread

thanks Macgyver, I have the track suspension up all the way and was thinking about turning the shocks/spring "up" a little more do I need a special tool to do this or will a pipe wrench work for this? I have double carbides but they may be short on life will need to look closer when I can get some one to help lift up the ski's.

mr