• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Calling all Guru's of the woods and wild. Need help.

Paul

Ok, so yesterday before the 9000000mph wind hit the Red River Valley, I went on a few mile hike around a poplular nature area along the river. I saw this thing in a distance. took me along time to get close to it due to the deep snow, but know I havnt a clue as to what it is. My only thought is maybe a hive of some kind. WHat do you folks think. At First I thought it was a bald eagle from a distance after hearing reports of them in the park.

132522165.jpg

132522164.jpg

Can't quite tell - would like to see it for myself - but could it be a "birdseye"? A growth from the tree trunk. See them on ash, cedar, pine trees and maple up here. Either an injury or sometimes a fungus can make them grow out of a tree trunk. Great looking grain if sliced off and sawed into lumber.

I'm pretty sure its just a burl - they're caused by some sort of stress to the tree, they usually have a bunch of deformed buds and gnarls and stuff

I think they are prized by woodcarvers because they have interesting stuff going on inside of them

i think you guy's are right. i seen one big one watching alone in the wilderness again last night. the guy made table tops out of them. it looked excactly like the picture on this thread but huge. i thought it was a hornet nest at first. so much for being a woods guru. good luck.

I meant 3-4 feet in diameter. Thanks for the input, If it was caused by damage of some kind, I would have to guess, flood damage, as it is in the river bottom.

Speaking of Flood, Fargo started up Sand Bag Central last night in their quest for stockpiling 3 million sand bags for upcoming flood. Here we go again.