• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1996 polaris xcr 600 triple ?

HawgMan

Looking to add another sled for the family, anyone ever have one of these? Any cons with the 3 cylinder?

Sleds got less than 1500 miles on on it & I think it could be bought for less than a grand...

Any input would be appreciated smile

Thanx!

I have a 95 XLT, over 5000 miles on it and still runs like a top. Keep the carbs clean and use non oxy and it should be a great addition. I know they changed something in the motors after mine that was causing them to blow but cant recall what year they changed.

I had one it too had a "melt-down" but like someone mentioned that there might have been a seal defunked on them as they were known to give out around 2,500-3,600 miles IF not taken stricked matainence of the engine...just my .02.

Did love the power, sound and snap it had but just was a high risk motor.

mr

I've got a hibred of a 96 xcr with a 97xlt motor. I bought it used in 2004 with about 2200 miles on it (broken odometer though). I don't put many miles on it in a winter, maybe 25-30 but it's worked well.

The 97 motor had an oil issue if I remember and they corrected it mid-production, so you have to look at the serial number or just look for the right part. I think that it was a bipass line or something. It's been a few years so the memory is fading.

As someone else said, the non-oxy gas has prolonged the life of mine. I used to have carb issues every season. Three years ago I switched to non-oxy only and haven't touched the carbs since.

My lower seals are shot and I've known that for years. I'm just waiting for her to melt down and then that's it. She's run for a while like that, with the only problem that it loses power every so often.

Otherwise it's a great sled and has lots of power. Mine has an extension and paddle track as the previous owner took it out to Utah. Great in the deep stuff.

I had one of these,bought it brand new.After 2500 miles and 3 new crank shafts later I sold it.Guess what,it happened again.Sled is low and pretty fast,but not worth a dime to me.All I can say is good luck if you buy this.Do some research and you will find this sled had many crank problems.

A lot of the triples had melt down problems.But they sure sounded nice when they were running.

the triples do sound awesome....but not all triples are made the same. Initially I looked at an xcr triple but the stories scared me

I ended up with a srx triple and it has been perfect. Quite a few stories of guys going 10 to 12 thousand before a top end. Recently just read of a Guy that has17 thousand on a stock srx with original clutch and motor. Not much love for Yamaha sleds around here but they are a force!