• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tune up on Honda Rancher and Honda Foreman

GotALunker

Okay so the Foreman is a 400cc and the Rancher is a 350

I'm going to change the oil, plugs and front/rear differential fluid.

Looking for some advice on the weight of motor oil, the spark plug number and the weight of differential oil.

I was thinking of running either an HD30 or a 5w-30 in the motor, and using just a standard 90weight gear oil in the differentials. And if someone could tell me what plug these things take, that would be great. I'm doing this for my dad.

Anything else I should consider?

Thoughts?

Standard plug on the Foreman should be a DPR7EA-9, not sure on the Rancher, probably the same but compare to see if they are.

2.5 qts on the Foreman, again I believe the Rancher is the same unless it is an Automatic.

Oil Weight depends on temperature, Honda recommends a 5w oil if temp is consistently below 40, 10W-30 or 10W-40 above 40 and do not use regular motor oil. You need to use a motorcycle grade SF or SG oil for proper clutch operation. If you change the filter, make sure to pay attention to the proper installation. It must have the inlet on the correct side.

Honda recommends SAE 80 gear lube in differentials. After draining, on the rear diff. fill to the fill check hole on the side of the differential. (Should be approx 3 ozs.)

On the front diff, fill to the bottom of the fill hole threads. (About 8 ozs.)

Consider?.... Checking brake adjustments... smirk

Thoughts?.... Two very good reliable machines.... wink

Should be good to go after that unless you are going to adjust the valves.

Awesome info Mac! Thanks so much!

So the oil filter...changing that would be considered optional?

Also, SF or SG: What would be preferred?

Sounds like I should be able to get all this stuff at the local auto parts store (besides oil filter)

So the oil filter...changing that would be considered optional?

Also, SF or SG: What would be preferred?

Not optional for me. I always change the filter every time.

May as well go with SG, but as I said it has to be motorcycle oil in order to keep proper clutch operation.

The need for valve adjustment usually depends on mileage or hours. Mine are rarely off and I have done them probably 5 or 6 times in close to 10,000 miles.If they are not noisy, or if mileage is low I'd probably let them go for now. But if you decide to do them the valves are pretty simple, but you do need to take off the fuel tank and cover. Then remove the valve cover (4) bolts to access the adjusters. A 10mm wrench and a screwdriver and a feeler gauge are needed to adjust them.

Timing marks are under an allen head screw hole on the right side of the motor case. Line up the mark with the "T" on it. .006 on both intake and exhaust, and must be done on a cold engine.

Spark plug gap, .035

Thanks for such great info...This will be my first time working on these two machines.

Re: The feeler gauge is what help me determine the .006>> Can I get one of those @ my local auto parts store?

Also, to "line up the mark w/ the 'T'", I'm assuming I'll need to turn the motor for this? Do I just use the pull cord to do that?

Re: The feeler gauge is what help me determine the .006>> Can I get one of those @ my local auto parts store? Yes probably

Also, to "line up the mark w/ the 'T'", I'm assuming I'll need to turn the motor for this? Yes

Do I just use the pull cord to do that? Yes, but its a bit easier to control with the spark plug out

So I got the oil change on one of the machines done today. Runs great! Thanks for the awesome info. I double checked what you told me for accuracy and you were 100% correct! Although, we did decide to just go with the 10w40 oil. And i didn't do the valve job yet, but plan to when it gets a bit warmer out.

Thanks!

I have a 97 honda foreman I really like the Amsoil 0w-30 atv oil.I use this oil exclusively in my quad. It really starts great in the winter and protects great in the summer too. Though I think any 10w-30 Mobil 1 or amsoil would be my second choice.

I'll add to Mac's post, from my experience, don't use synthetic motor oil in (geared) Honda's with wet clutches. I have a 5 speed manual Foreman and synthetic oil did some really strange things to my transmission...slips, clunks, missing gears...not good. Since my machine is mostly used in winter, Honda's ATV 5W-30 has been my choice.

Clean (or replace) the air filter. Mine is a washable foam liner around the metal filter housing. I use the K&N cleaning kit that cleans the filter and after the filter is dry I add a touch of their spray oil onto the foam filter.

Any of today's automotive engine oils with an SM or SN rating will cause problems - synthetic or petroleum.

Look for a JASO MA or MB rating to know it is safe for ATVs.

AMSOIL 4-stroke ATV Oil is great in all 4-stroke ATVs .

Including the Hondas with the hydraulic transmissions (Rubicon and Rincon)?

I've been using Amsoil ATV oil for years in my Honda. No issues at all. Says on the bottle it's wet clutch compatible and approved for use in Hondas.

I should have said I also used Amsoil 0W-40 ATV oil specified for Honda use. I used it for a few years until I ran into transmission issues, and a Honda technician said to not use synthetic in my Foreman 450S. My problems are gone now after switching back to conventional Honda 5W-30. Coincidence? Not in my book. Labels can say all they want, but that doesn't mean Honda certifies it ok for use in their products.

Not to bash Amsoil. I use Amsoil products in just about every motor I own, 2 stroke/4 stroke. But not in the ATV with this transmission design.

If you don't work your ATV really hard you probably won't notice anything unusual. I did when the engine/transmission was really hot from plowing snow and hunting trips to North Dakota in the thickest, nastiest mud known to man. wink