• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need help from "Gamers"

BigGrassBass

My parents came up with the idea of buying my wife, son, and I a new gaming system. Which one do I go with?

My wife and I are both 30 and our son is 9. I've been looking and I'm torn between the Wii and the XBox 360. The Wii is a lot of fun for the family with simple games and such. Plus I've heard the hunting and fishing games with special controllers are fantastic.

The XBox doesn't seem to have that many family oriented games to play but it seems to have more choices when it comes games. More action, racing, etc. With my son getting older this might be a better fit. And if we get the new Kinekt thing that could be a whole new level.

So, I'm looking for those of you with a little more experience than me to either help talk me into or out of something.

Thanks for the help.

BGB

IMO, Wii is the best for family gaming (esp if you have younger kids - my boys are 3 and 6, and they LOVE it!), but has the fewest worthwhile games; XBOX has the best games and graphics; with a PS3 you also get a built-in BluRay player.

There are pros and cons for each, but you really can't go wrong no matter what you choose.

BGB,

I have all 3 systems and I find that they are all good in their own way. The PS3 is cool that it has Bluray and of course good graphics, some great console specific games (which are too graphic for your 9 year old) Then with the Xbox it doesn't have Bluray, but Xbox live is tops when it comes to the network it also has some great console specific games as well, and the Kinect does open it up for a lot more. Just got my Kinect on Sunday but it sure is cool. With the Wii, that is more of a family system the Mario series are great games and you are right the fishing and hunting with the wii controller are very good. For your family the Wii might be a good first step, but consider it a "Gateway" system as after you've been playing that you will then want to up the ante and get an xbox or Ps3.

Keep in mind your sons age. Constantly on xbox and ps3 I meet kids who use/learn vulgar language.

When it comes to online play, no one talks nicely. I am sure i've taught a few kids some new words and not intentionally either! Lots of sailors are playing online!

JPZ is pretty spot on, I own both xbox and ps3 as well, and have played wii many times. They all have their perks but the ps3 and xbox not really family friendly. They can be though with the xbox kinect and playstation move I think its called.

wii, ps3 = no online gaming fee

xbox = online gaming fee if you wanna play online

Thanks for the help guys. Online play is probably not something we'll be getting into, yet...

I like the hunting, fishing, racing games.

My wife is into all that sims, world of warcraft stuff.

My son likes his Lego Star Wars games and Mario Kart.

I'm thinking Wii might be the one.

I think you nailed it. Based on your son's age and your desire for 'family' games, Wii is hands-down winner.

in a couple of years he'll be bugging you for an Xbox or Playstation (or the latest 'big guy' game system that's out) but for now enjoy the Wii with your son!

I agree that the wii is probably the best for the kids. I heard some of the newer xboxes come with built in wifi not sure on the details or pricing on that. I do believe you can change the settings on the xbox to not be able to hear all of the sailors cursing.

I think that right now, the Wii is it. That being said, Xbox's connect from what I have heard, has a ton of family-friendly games in development right now, so that could end up being the long-term solution. At least with the xbox, you will have a better selection of "major" titles, and down the road, a nice selection of family-friendly titles. However, like stated above, the online situation should be monitored carefully, as there are some pretty foul-mouthed people on there(including me on occasion).