• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting back into archery/bow hunting

fishing4fun

I've been away from the sport for about 10-12 years. And now am going to try and get back into it. Now married and have 2 boys (6 & 4)with alot interest in the sport also. My wife is very interested in getting into also. She feels if she does then this is something we can all do as a family. Target shooting and possibly some hunting trips....

I've been doing some research on bows for both her and I. I've really been looking into the Bowtec line up. I don't want to drop an ars pile of cash. And I think I can get into a Bowtec Assasin bow for me and a Heartbreaker for my wife. What can any of you tell me about these bows? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Especailly with a bow and everything for my wife.

Thanks

f4f, Bowtech makes a very good product. The nicest bow I've ever owned was an '07 Bowtech Commander. I miss that bow.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Bowtech one bit. The Assassin is very short- about 30.5". I'd suggest a longer bow, axle-to-axle, unless you have a really short drawlength. Longer bows will be more consistent and accurate.

What's your e-mail address?

Bowtechs are great bows I own 2 my hunting and target bows. You could also look into the diamond line of bows made by bowtech. I also own a diamond marquise and my wife has the diamond razors edge.

Agreed, my wife shoots the Razor's edge and I shoot the Stud. Great bow and not going to dump an arse pile of cash... grin

I'm in the same boat. I've been out of it for 15 years, and the enthusiasm of my kids are getting me back into it. I looked at bowtechs for both kids and me, but I went with a Mission menace for my 9 year old last year. I've just seen a new model out this year that has even a greater weight range. For myself, I think I may go Mission as well. My theory is that since it's been sooooo long since I last shot, I want to be able to get back into it with a lower weight range and get my technique right before I start cranking it up. The missions have 15" draw length adjustments and 20-40# weight range adjustments (depending on model) that will get me in the game more comfortably.

... and 20-40# weight range adjustments (depending on model) that will get me in the game more comfortably.

20-40 lbs is VERY low. Unless you are not very strong at all or have some sort of physical problem, I'm sure you'd have little problem going with a 50-60 lb. bow. You could start at 50 lbs and work up from there. A lot of guys I know get a 60-70 lb bow and start near 60 and work up.

If the max draw weight of your bow is 40 lbs, you're severely handicapping yourself in terms of maximum performance of your bow. A 40 lb bow can and will kill a deer, but unless there's some particular reason for choosing it beyond "just getting back into it", I think you'd be a lot better off with a 50-60 lb bow.

Good luck in whatever you decide!!! Have fun with the decision and the arrow flinging!

Sorry if I didn't write it correctly. What I meant to say was that you can adjust missions 20-45# up/down depending on the model. The models designed for kids, teens, entry level (Maniac, Craze, etc) are adjustable from 15-70# (which is totally amazing when you think about it) and the faster models (Voyagers,XT, Venture,etc) are in the 40-60# or 50-70# range.

The diamond maquise I have I bought for my dad as a retirement gift Bought it with 60 lb limbs could back it down to 45 pounds wich was still too much for his torn rotator cuff then I bought Razor edge limbs and fitted them on it and could get it down to 30 pounds wich he can shoot but if he has to let it down without shooting is very painful and he refuses to shoot a crossbow.

Hey Fishn- I recently got into bow hunting myself. I had bought a used Alpine Archery Micro bow that is really nice for younger draw weight shooters. I love it! however, right at the start of the season it developed a "creak" in the limbs and I had to send it in to Alpine. In order to hunt, I bought another bow....Alpine replaced the limbs and pockets...basically 99% of the bow is brand new. But now I have 2 bows and only need 1. I would sell it to you if you want for your wife to learn on, and use. If it turns out she's not into bow hunting, you would still have a really awesome bow for your boys to grow with. Let me know if you are interested and we can talk about it more.

if you decide to go new for your wife- I agree with the above posters on the Diamond Razors Edge bow...it is the new bow I bought. I love the lightweight, adjustable draw and length-BUT I hate the quiver and the bow rest it comes with. So unless you want to invest in a 2nd quiver and a new Whisker biscuit, don't get the Razor that comes as a package, buy it plain and get your own accessories...just my .02

Below is a copy/paste of the original post I put out in October last fall, will give you alot more info on the bow:

Hey everyone, I am looking for your feedback. Last year when I wanted to get into archery, I bought an Alpine Archery Micro bow. It sat in a case until this summer when I had it set up at Gander. The Alpine Micro bow is 40-50 lb draw weight, the stalker cam adjusts the draw 21" to 28", has a bi-flex composite limb, 65% let off, inter-loc limb mounting system for -0- limb movement during the shooting sequence, 34" axle to axle, weighs 3lbs, Made in USA. I put on a whisker biscuit, and a 3 arrow quiver.

When I was practicing, I noticed a "creak" in the limbs. No matter what I did, I couldn't figure out what it was, and the sound seemed to "travel" in the limb pockets. I took it to Gander and they broke it down and lubed the whole bow. Still creaked. I called Alpine and they told me I had to send it in. I did, and they replaced the riser, limbs and limb pockets. The bow is quiet as heck now. I love this bow!

But I now have two bows since I bought a new one while this one was in the shop. My question is, do alot of you keep two bows? if so what are the benefits? thanks.

just bought a mission maniac for my gf the range on the bow is 25#-70# and 23-30" draw so you can really work with it which is nice and if she doesnt like it after awhile its a bow you can always hand down to a kid with the range of draw. The mission line has really impressed me with how they have their bows setup for all ages

Thanks for all the info. I'm really to have to look at all the bows that are out there. I forgot I posted this question and now have read all posts. I very much appreciate all the info.

Any of you ever shot a Destroyer by Bowtech? It's a litte longer then the Assassin, a bit more spendy though.