• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snowmobile is "squirrley"

Jaspernuts

1996 Ski-doo formula 500. Over 30mph sled wants to wander and seems to grab other snomobile tracks and is hard to control and steer. I know I can make adjustements to the suspension, just not sure where to start. Thanks in advance for everyones help!

check your ski pressure that has a lot to do with it jumping around from other sleds previous tracks in the snow. I don't know much of how Skidoo sets up the suspension as I ride Polaris but the straps in the front of the suspension control the ski pressure but changing this will affect how it corners as well.

The darting on the s-2000 chasis of those years was controlled by the rubber boot located in the ski. The front nut on the ski carbide needed to be loosened and the rubber pushed forward into the ski leg and then retightened. There is a metal spacer located under the washer of that front bolt, many people neglect to put that spacer back in when changing carbides this will cause the darting everytime.

A word of caution the bolts on the carbides are notorious for breaking off when attempting to loosen them!

FWIW, be 100% sure to check your carbides. I thought mine were good, but my banana shaped skis in my xc500 were wore in the middle, but I didn't check all the way, I only looked at the front part. Mine darted too, and I thought it was the sled or the suspension. When I put new carbides on, it was like a totally new sled. I was/am still rookie though, so still learnign. The thing I learn the most is the easiest solution usually has been it with my sleds (3 of them now).

good luck!

My Arctic Cat did the same thing, last spring I called Bergstom Skegs, he sent me a couple shims for no charge, it took 95% of the darting out. Check out his web sight nice guy, knows everything about sleds.

My snowmobile usually darts around because of higher ski pressure. I have got used to it since I corner fast and hard my sled always lift a ski at least seven to twelve inches even if I'm leaning hard.

Sounds more like you should adjust your front shocks a little stiffer so the cornering one doesn't compress so much? wink

They are adjusted pretty stiff. I'm not a very heavy guy and my sled is set up pretty aggressive, have a few mods done.

Oh, your one of those guys that come around the corners sideways I almost run into all the time! shockedlaugh

Nope those are skidoo guys. Mine holds the corner very nice, were I turn the skis the sled goes. I don't like sliding through corners not safe when you meet another guy going fast in a corner you or him can't steer around. Been hit twice by other guys sliding corners and sorry guys if you ride skidoo but both times was one of those dang yellow snowmobiles. And had too many close calls from guys that cant stay on their side of a trail going around a corner. So therefor I set mine up to corner and handle so I don't hit someone or injure myself. Ride safe to ride another day.

I'll second the Bergstrom Skegs. I have the tripple point carbides (cost twice as much, last easily 3 times as long) with his ski savers and ski shims. It stopped all of my "darting" or "hunting" as they say and my sled rails the corners. (yes I drive yellow, yes I drive fast, yes I drive safe above everything else). I always stay on my side, especially in the corners, usually hugging the safest outer or inner line. I too was almost hit twice last year, each within ten miles of the other, and one of the guys was taking a line to shave the corner.... I still can't believe it, as he was coming in super hot. If I wasn't hugging the inner most part of the corner and then actually drove my sled half off the INSIDE corner, he woulda hit me going 30 - 40 mph.

Nothin wrong with riding fast as long as safety takes precedence above all. Happy sleddin' fellas!

I have no problem with guys riding hard and fast as I as well do it but keep the sled in control. Just because you cant see a guy coming in to a corner with you doesn't mean he isn't hot on the throttle getting close to it. And I didn't mean to call out any specific sleds or riders but thats just what kind I've met too up close and personal in corners. I've rode lots of models from different makes and I like some from all makers. Biggest thing I noticed is in my opinion skidoo in the 90s had an issue with darting or corner sliding.