• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Two new snowmobile map products available from the DNR

PiedmontAngler

Two new snowmobile map products available from the DNR

(Released December 16, 2010)

A new online interactive snowmobile trail map and a downloadable GPS background map are now available to help people explore and navigate Minnesota’s extensive snowmobile trail system, according to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR).

The online snowmobile trail map, developed by the DNR’s Division of Parks and Trails, displays all of the DNR and Grant-in-Aid trails across the state. The map makes it easy to zoom, search, pan, and get more information about more than 22,000 miles of snowmobile trails at the click of a mouse. The map also includes a print function so custom maps can be printed at home.

The downloadable GPS background maps are compatible with Garmin GPS units. The maps are available for free on the HSOforum and will help snowmobilers navigate trails with their handheld GPS units.

“These two new map products make it easier for snowmobiles to explore Minnesota’s world-class snowmobile trail system,” said Forrest Boe, deputy director of the DNR Division of Parks and Trails. “They also showcase all of the work and dedication of the thousands of snowmobile club volunteers who make the trail system possible.”

Minnesota was recently named “Best Trails State” in the country by American Trails for facilitating an outstanding statewide system of trails. The Grant-in-Aid snowmobile trail system consists of more than 21,000 miles of snowmobile trails maintained by local club volunteers, and the DNR maintains another 1,000 miles on state trails and in state parks.

snowmobiling-gps

I got these from another source last year and they are nice to have for navigation. This year I will try using the follow feature for navigation and see how it works. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx. It sure beats fumbling with the map, you also get to track your movements, ie shortcuts that may not be shown on the regular maps.

I got these from another source last year and they are nice to have for navigation. This year I will try using the follow feature for navigation and see how it works. I have a Garmin Etrex Legend HCx. It sure beats fumbling with the map, you also get to track your movements, ie shortcuts that may not be shown on the regular maps.

I have the same unit, were you able to get it loaded on your device (if so any tips) and has it been working?

Great idea but what about all the people who don't have Garmin products? Wonder if Garmin flipped the bill for this one? Huuum! smirk

From the link above:

At this time we are providing Garmin background maps in IMG format. We are in the process of exploring additional file format options for Lowrance and Magellan units, but currently only have Garmin IMG format available.