• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boots or Other Products?

JJK

Clipping the hair around the feet work well. Not sure about Walmart or Gander but when I ran sled dogs, I would get my booties from Dogbooties dot com. Not trying to post a link here but that's the name of the place. With a bunch of dogs, it's too expensive to go to a place like Gander. I prefered using the toughtek booties with velstretch.

You can get some neoprene boots at GM, Cabela's (probably any place that sells hunting dog gear). Those will do the trick.

Kondos Outdoors out of Ely makes some really nice booties out of either fleece/elephant hide or cordura. Their gear is high quality so I would reccomend those as another option.

I tried some boots from Avery but they just didnt work too well. I recently picked up a pair of boots called Ultra Paws that I am very happy with. I picked them up at a local pet store but you can get them online too. They are also a Minnesota company.

I have had much luck with the Ruff Wear boots from REI ($60) or Ruffwear.com. If you do lose one, Ruff Wear sells them individually on their site. My suggestions is to buy them from REI for their lifetime warranty and then order any replacements as needed. In 2 years I have only lost one due to weeds below the snow pulling it off. They have a Vibram (rubber) sole that does not collect H2O like the Muttluck brands leather sole does (had these one before Ruff Wear).

I don't know what brand they were but last night I came upon a guy jogging with his dog and the dog had reflective booties on. Seemed like a very good idea if you were going to get some and your dog is out at night at all? wink

My dog gets ice buildup, but it doesn't seem to bother him. When we get back to the truck, I either pull them off or let him chew them off.

I'll say this: snow balls on the foot pads aren't nearly as bad as the cockleburs he picks up in the fall! I have no idea how he can go for as long as he does with nary a limp when all four of his feet are stacked with burs!