• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Used snowmobile question

ConnorMN

Hi guys -

I've never been on a sled myself...

That said, my 11 yo son is looking to ride in the neighborhood association park and nearby on the lake... (other boys in the neighborhood do the same).

Looking to stay under $1000 - Assuming we'll be looking at something in the 340-440 range for size.

I know folks all have their favorites - Any input on what which sleds would be... less maintenance/more reliable than others?

Oh and I may have to borrow this thing to drag ice fishing gear out :-)

Check the regulations on an 11 year old riding.

Don't search by engine size, it really does not make a difference in your price range. The most common sleds from about 10 years ago are the 500/600 class and you should be able to find a good buy on one of those. There are some entry model 370 and 440 machines that may be good choices as well.

Do NOT buy an old 440 race sled as they have most likely either been raced and beat up or wanna-be raced and beat up. See where that's going?.....

You might want to boost you spend to about $1200 and you will find a much better selection.

Research a snowmobile purchase with any of your friends that might own one. There always seems to be some tinkering that needs to be done on a sled and they are costly to own and operate. I just sold a 1997 AC Z440 with 2900 miles for $1100. Good sled and easier on fuel but there was always some little tweaking that needed to be done or maybe I'm just a little more fussy than the average person. I have 1 carb sled left the others are EFI. I would never buy another carb sled again! A liquid cooled 440 is a good sled and should keep your son happy.

For $1k or less you should be able to find a nice Arctic Cat Jag Deluxe ( electric start and maybe even reverse ) that would be a 440cc Fan, perfect for putt puttn around the yard or pulling a fish house.

Arctic Cat Pumas are 340cc fans, some have electric start, you should be able to find some of those in the $500 - $800 range pretty easy, nothing wrong with them either.

Nice thing about these sleds is that they usually don't get beat on too bad, they are not power houses, if the sled hasn't been taken care of they usually show it, if you look at enough of them.

Mike

FWIW, I got an old '88 Polaris Indy 400 on a trade for a canoe (about $300 value). I cleaned the carbs ($0), put on new slides ($20), new plugs ($6..?..) and a new key ($2). Runs like a champ, but the seat cover is beat up. Can't say enough about the engine (4000 miles) so don't be afraid of the indy 400 engine if you find something that looks good. Also have a '02 xc500 and that is awesome, but more than you are looking to spend by a bit.

Agree that going to $1200 will get much newer and nicer sled, but at $1000 you should be able to find nice ones, though a bit uglier. If you can take someone who has owned sleds along to look, it helped me a lot. They can tell if it has been beat up.

BTW - the 400 or so size works great for kids down to my 7 yo grandson (going in slow circles) and up to old farts like me wink

Awesome input fellas - Thank you all

The under $1000 was more of based on what he has earned and what he can earn... he's still working on it - he'll probably be well into 12 before he can afford it at the rate we've been going recently :-) looks like I may be subsidizing this purchase if I want to use it on the ice this year.