• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New camera upgrade advice.

The wife and I have decided that we would like to upgrade from our current point and shoot camera to something better. Judging by what I've seen here there are some very camera savvy people, and I'm hoping you can help me. Would you guys recommmend taking baby steps and moving up to an upper end point and shoot, (like a P110 Nikon or an SX30is Canon or comparable Sony), or take a bigger step into a more entry level DSLR, or possibly even more? We are not profesionals by any means, but are looking for some better quality photos when our daughter gets married next year.

I'm looking for any advice, opinions, recommendations and what to watch out or look for!

Thanks!

Realistically, it's action and low-light photography that beg the use of DSLRs and detachable lenses, Macgyver. If you're doing the wedding photography for the couple yourself, you'll need to rely on flash for any evening/indoor shooting unless you get a DSLR and at least one lens that opens to f2.8 or wider. For most church weddings, flash is not allowed by the pastor, thus the DSLR/fast lens necessity.

If the wedding is outdoors during daylight, an advanced P&S should do you fine, and if that P&S has a strong flash and excellent autofocus system, it could do well enough if the reception/dance are indoors or outdoors after dark.

However, if you want to capture excellent photographs of people moving quickly, birds, wildlife, or any type of action, you're back to the DSLR and fast lens.

I am in the same boat. We also wanted to upgrade but couldn't afford an SLR with a zoom lense. We basically wanted it for kids sports and we also wanted a video camera. I did a lot of research online. We opted for the Panasonic Lumix FZ100 with 24X zoom. It shoots 1080 hi-def video and has burst mode as well as slow motion. It also has RAW memory capability.(which I'm told is good for touching up photos) It was between that and the Cannon 30i (which does not have RAW memory). Most of the comparisons that I researched on the internet, gave the nod to the Panasonic. It cost us $375 on Ama.... (HSOforum) The problem with all of the high end point and shoots is that none of them are perfect. Each one has its good and bad qualities. You just need to figure out which one is best for you.

We haven't recieved the camera yet, so I can't give you my opinion.

A basic SLR with a good image stabilization zoom lense is going to run you over $1000. If you can afford that, or don't need a zoom lense, then get the SLR. Much better for low light, I'm told, but then you have to bring the various lenses with you.

Good luck. I'll let you know what I think of the Panasonic when I get it.

Nels

Thanks Nels! Steve, as far as the wedding, no, we are not doing the photography, we have a professional for that. We'd just like to get some better shots ourselves and have something better for vacations and stuff. I have read that the "superzoom" point and shoots are tough to get good long distance shots because of smaller sensors and such. Is the image stabilization better on the DSLRs, or are they similar in performance to the point and shoots?

And, most importantly, is it impractical to use a DSLR as a primary camera for every day use?

Been a while since I've chimed in on a post but here it goes. I've also been looking for such a camera lots of research and so on I think I'm going to get the Fujifilm HS10. Like the manual focus and zoom capability and smaller 10mp sensor. Also uses aa batteries. I've been strickly a panasonic fan so venturing to fuji is going to be hard. I currently have a zs3 panasonic great small camera with 12x zoom but want something a little bigger zoom and manual ability. HS 10 has a 30x zoom and all the manual I can handle. Just my $.02

Been a while since I've chimed in on a post but here it goes. I've also been looking for such a camera lots of research and so on I think I'm going to get the Fujifilm HS10. Like the manual focus and zoom capability and smaller 10mp sensor. Also uses aa batteries. I've been strickly a panasonic fan so venturing to fuji is going to be hard. I currently have a zs3 panasonic great small camera with 12x zoom but want something a little bigger zoom and manual ability. HS 10 has a 30x zoom and all the manual I can handle. Just my $.02

My parents ahve that camera and to be honest with you it really doesn't take very good pictures, and the AA batteries don't last very long. No matter what you buy get one with a rechargeable battery.

It's an excellent camera. So are the equivalent Nikon and Olympus cameras. If it feels good in your hands and the controls make sense to you (different brands use different control regimens and each feels different in your hands), then that's the one you should buy.

There are small strengths and weaknesses each brand has compared with the other, but in all honesty the differences, either plus or minus, are very small, and it's marketing folks trying to gain market share who inflate those advantages and disadvantages. Taking great pictures has nothing to do with whether this camera has one megapixels more than that one, and so forth. Whichever one feels best to you is the one your should get. smile

Thank you for your advise Todd. You may have saved me a headache. Anything in particular wrong with the image quality?

There just not very sharp, they don't own a computer so I usually load and edit them for them and I'm not impressed with the quality, I tried to talk them into a nikon, or cannon but dad found a GOOD deal. Iv'e got a little 5MP kodak ps that I keep in my boat that takes better pictures. One thing i have noticed is that there camera takes pretty good pictures outdoors but in doors it's really hit and miss ..

I bow to Steve on his knowledge of contemporary most of this stuff but let me offer a couple thoughts. The little Nikon L22...which is currently on sale, does a remarkable job for a hundred bucks! Shove the chip in my Toshaba laptop and print through a wireless upper level HP and I get stuff you'd swear came out of a lab some place. Really!!

And a thought nobody will pay attention to but I gotta toss it out anyway. Go to HSO-Classifieds. Buy a DCS-S85 SONY. Pay no attention to the lowly pixel count. Just pay attention to the images you get. Buy one for $50 and laugh smirk,smile and snicker when your friends wonder how you got such nice stuff. Ha. Merry Christmas.

The Canon G11 & G12 are an excellent bridge between p&s and DSLR.

I have a G12,and when used with the 430ex flash,or outdoors,the results are on par with a DSLR.

As with most tools,the biggest limiting factor with a camera is the abilities of the person behind it.

For the price of a modest DSLR lens,a G12 will cover anything except:indoor sports,birding.

I shot a confirmation in a church at iso 3200,and with a tiny bit of noise reduction,8x10 prints were outstanding.

I recommended the G-12 to my SIL because of all the good thing that I have read about it. I got to play with it last night and it felt very solid and the layout of all the controls seemed pretty decent. That screen is NICE !

I will own one of those for my carry around and fishing camera. Maybe if the tax man treats me right winkgrin

The G10 I had was very good,but the G12 is alot cleaner at the higher iso's.

It's amazing how far these advanced p/s cameras have come in the past five years.

The T2i is probably the best entry level DSLR out there. Basically it uses the same sensor as the 7D, but with a single DiG!C 4 processor,and a slighter build.

With 18 million pixels resolving detail,the sensor will bring out the best in great lenses,but will also uncover the shortcomings of cheaper lenses.

From the 50D on up,I would recommend lenses with at least one aspherical and one UD element to bring out the best of these high resolving sensors.

Just dropped by and now see that my post was way off target OR I misunderstood the original inquiry. I ASSUMED (my fault) that the poster wanted a reasonably priced transition from a basic P&S to something a bit more sophisticated, with a few more options and the creation of decent, clean images.

Where oh where did I go wrong........ha ha!??

I got the Panasonic Lumix FZ100 about 2 weeks ago. I wanted to wait and see how it performed before I posted again. It has a 24X zoom and HD video. You can snap pictures while you are video taping. It also has burst mode. As I mentioned earlier I was looking for something better than what I had but not as much money as the DSLR, to shoot family photos as well as my kids in sports.

So far my wife and I are very happy with our purchase. I shot plenty of indoor Christmas photos as well as my son at a wrestling tournament. The indoor shots were better than I expected. The video was very nice and clear. I set it at 720 instead of 1080, to save space on the memory card.

Cost of the camera was $375.00.

I still have a lot to learn about all of the features. The manual is thick! crazy

Nels